BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford vs Eliminator block??

+5
paperman
cool40
68formalGT
dfree383
kjett
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ford vs Eliminator block?? Empty Ford vs Eliminator block??

Post  kjett September 20th 2016, 9:25 am

Well, I destroyed my truck this past weekend, so time to start over. And since the plan is to come back out with something bigger and badder, I might as well upgrade from the little stock blocked, A headed 488ci motor. I know many people that have had good results with the A460 block, and just as many with the Eliminator blocks. Plan is to keep the A heads (since I already have all the top end and custom built headers) after getting some port loving, and just replace the bottom end with more cubes. Looking at something in the 598+ range, bigger bore than stroke deal if possible. So, knowing my plans force me to go to the aftermarket block, what is the general consensus between the A460 block over an Eliminator Ultra block? Just looking at the Ultra to match nodular iron main caps and similar price. I see many A blocks making ridiculous power and not having issues but it seems the rated 4.7 max bore of the eliminator would make for thicker (and stronger??) cylinder walls at a 4.6 bore motor.

Can some of you big time guys school me? study
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Ford vs Eliminator block?? Empty Re: Ford vs Eliminator block??

Post  dfree383 September 20th 2016, 9:29 am

I currently own 2 A460 blocks and they have done everything I've needed.

I'd call Oakley and get him to put you together a complete 632 short block with all the goodies.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 20th 2016, 9:35 am

dfree383 wrote:I currently own 2 A460 blocks and they have done everything I've needed.

I'd call Oakley and get him to put you together a complete 632 short block with all the goodies.

That may be happening, just getting started in cleaning up and cutting away the mess. Saw I dented the driver side valve cover pretty bad, so if the inside of the head is broken up, I may not be sticking with the A heads. Sad
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 20th 2016, 11:20 am

Just call Oakley and have him build you this.

https://www.429-460.com/t20502-632-c-head-engine
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 20th 2016, 1:40 pm

I have both blocks and really don't see one over the other unless you want roller cam bearings.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 20th 2016, 3:46 pm

Won't the Eliminator block go a little bigger on bore? I guess thats not real important unless you plan on going 4.700"
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 20th 2016, 5:45 pm

68formalGT wrote:Won't the Eliminator block go a little bigger on bore? I guess thats not real important unless you plan on going 4.700"

Yes the do have part numbers that will go to 4.700, but not all of their offerings will.

A lot of A460 block will go 4.640-650 safely. My one block is at 4.625 and sonics fine for plenty of rebuilds.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 20th 2016, 6:04 pm

And all the main caps are 4 bolt on the Eliminator, the inner caps on the A460 block are 4 bolted.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 20th 2016, 8:45 pm

either block will do the job as long as the other parts are up to it....the best crank I could get would be my biggest concern.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paperman September 21st 2016, 3:23 pm

You OK from the crash? Trucks looks pretty rough, keeping the same platform or changing class/chassis layout?

paperman

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 21st 2016, 3:42 pm

paperman wrote:You OK from the crash? Trucks looks pretty rough, keeping the same platform or changing class/chassis layout?

I'm ok, The roll cage did it's job. Going with the new body and a four link tube chassis truck
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 September 21st 2016, 4:32 pm

Did you pull the valve cover yet? Scared to? I may be wrong, but I think it'll be okay.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 21st 2016, 5:07 pm

crittersf1 wrote:Did you pull the valve cover yet? Scared to? I may be wrong, but I think it'll be okay.

Not yet. It's sitting about 2 hours away from me so the wife can't see it. Lol
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 September 21st 2016, 5:09 pm

Patty still giving you a hard time?
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  paperman September 21st 2016, 7:01 pm

Glad the jungle gym did its job. Any pics or video of the event? Breakage cause it or just back luck? I would say from what I have been around either block will do the job you are looking at. With the Eliminator will the 4 bolt outers cause issues with your oil pan/chassis?

paperman

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 22nd 2016, 10:28 am

crittersf1 wrote:Patty still giving you a hard time?

Of course. lol

paperman wrote:Glad the jungle gym did its job.  Any pics or video of the event?  Breakage cause it or just back luck?  I would say from what I have been around either block will do the job you are looking at.  With the Eliminator will the 4 bolt outers cause issues with your oil pan/chassis?  

Rough track, lots of nitrous on cut tires. They allowed a couple stock trucks into the outlaw class. they both happened to run right before me. the 1st got stuck and rooted some deep ruts before they flagged him and pulled him out. The 2nd continued to dig the same ruts and was able to get out. I came up and lined up having to straddle the ruts. Launched great, and about 3/4 track it slipped into the ruts and the whole truck began dancing right to left, in and out of the ruts. I tried to turn the wheel a little and burp the throttle to regain control. It hooked and spun me to the left really hard and launched me into the 3' tall safety berm which was about 5' tall on the worker side of the track. It launched me like a ramp to about 10' in the air when it rolled and came down on the driver side of the roof.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead September 22nd 2016, 2:28 pm

If you're not looking to make over 1400-1500hp,.....stay with the Ford A-460 block.

It's less expensive,.......and costs less to machine (according to my engine builder)

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 23rd 2016, 10:53 am

Copperhead wrote:If you're not looking to make over 1400-1500hp,.....stay with the Ford A-460 block.

It's less expensive,.......and costs less to machine (according to my engine builder)

I'm looking to make as much as I can. lol

Not that it's the best pricing, but on Kaase's site (which is probably outdated), the Ford block is $2500, and the Eliminator Ultra is $2625. Engine Systems is about the same on the Ultra, and I think Lem has the Ford big bore blocks for around $2795 delivered. So not really a huge difference in the pricing from the places that I would buy from. Availability, however may be a different story. Rolling Eyes
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 23rd 2016, 11:47 am

There are A460 blocked engines around that make 1,200+ N.A. + two fogger kids. No failures that I'm aware of.

Kjett give me a shout I'll make it where you can buy one Smile

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 23rd 2016, 12:12 pm

Lem Evans wrote:There are A460 blocked engines around that make 1,200+ N.A. + two fogger kids. No failures that I'm aware of.

Kjett give me a shout I'll make it where you can buy one Smile

And this is why I plan to buy from this site and not a box store!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 23rd 2016, 5:31 pm

kjett wrote:
crittersf1 wrote:Patty still giving you a hard time?

Of course. lol

paperman wrote:Glad the jungle gym did its job.  Any pics or video of the event?  Breakage cause it or just back luck?  I would say from what I have been around either block will do the job you are looking at.  With the Eliminator will the 4 bolt outers cause issues with your oil pan/chassis?  

Rough track, lots of nitrous on cut tires. They allowed a couple stock trucks into the outlaw class. they both happened to run right before me. the 1st got stuck and rooted some deep ruts before they flagged him and pulled him out. The 2nd continued to dig the same ruts and was able to get out. I came up and lined up having to straddle the ruts. Launched great, and about 3/4 track it slipped into the ruts and the whole truck began dancing right to left, in and out of the ruts. I tried to turn the wheel a little and burp the throttle to regain control. It hooked and spun me to the left really hard and launched me into the 3' tall safety berm which was about 5' tall on the worker side of the track. It launched me like a ramp to about 10' in the air when it rolled and came down on the driver side of the roof.

Sorry to hear about the wreck, that's why we shortened our pits and are going to more of a speed pit instead of a bog pit. We still have a couple races where the stock, super stock and a few modified guys bury their trucks and have to be pulled out but other then those.....

68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett September 26th 2016, 8:04 am

Here's the video that was taken. Everyone dropped their cameras as I went over...

https://www.facebook.com/carmellasage/videos/1102333866469175/
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT September 26th 2016, 4:06 pm

Link not working. Might not be set to public view.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  bbfstanger September 26th 2016, 7:14 pm

I'm not so sure about cheaper to machine? lol!
I was all syked I could finely afford a aftermarket block, the first prob was the crank wouldnt even drop into the mains. Ford told me there is a batch of blocks that weren't machined correctly, Ford picked it up machined the main webs and returned it to me. crank atleast fit into it now.
Mains had to be align honed for straightness and taper.
The oilpan rails look like crap and I hope they will seal ,its not flat and has a little step like it was being machined and they stop and started at a different level.
The deck looked like the rails with a step ,they did clean up fine when I decked it.
All the lifter bores had to be honed the front 2, 1 on each side would slide in next 2 weren't happy and the next 12 wouldn't even fit in.
Maybe I was expecting too much for my money? and I totally understand the block needed prep ,but damn the crank wouldn't even fit or the lifters.
It's all under the bridge now ive had everything machined and or corrected and hope to get a few runs in before the winter.
Good luck on whichever one you choose.

bbfstanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 26th 2016, 7:47 pm

How old is this block and what crankshaft did you have?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next