BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Clyinder Heads to Choose

+3
mudtrucker
The Mad Porter
outlawbird
7 posters

Go down

Which Clyinder Heads to Choose Empty Which Clyinder Heads to Choose

Post  outlawbird January 22nd 2017, 9:12 am

Hi everyone, I am putting together a plan for myself to build a new engine for my F350. One of my burning question's are which cylinder heads would you guys choose to use between the TFS Street and AFR 277cc port?

I will be using the factory "Fuelie" block stroked to either 521 or 545 depending on suggestion's from the pro's Very Happy
Pump gas is a must and the truck will be used to pull my race car trailer as well as our 9500lb camper so I'm looking for loads of torque. As for the intake, aftermarket individual runner  EFI will be installed and a throttle body bolted on the carb pad is the plan no matter the selection.

I have read up on Lem's 521ci build and was really leaning towards building the same engine, then I seen the AFR heads with the smaller 277cc runner and started thinking TQ monster @ low RPM's? Probably a bad idea on my behave LOL. The intake was also another area of concern with AFR because a single plane is the only option?

Thanks for any help, Brandon.
outlawbird
outlawbird

Back to top Go down

Which Clyinder Heads to Choose Empty Re: Which Clyinder Heads to Choose

Post  The Mad Porter January 22nd 2017, 4:22 pm

The AFR 270's are a great fit here. 9.5 to 1 static and a small hydraulic cam like the 219/227 voodoo ground on a 113 or 114 lsa would make a great towing combo with 625+ tq and 500 or more hp.
Given that you have a D9 block a 4.5" stroke would offer additional torque and a lower hp peak rpm. Keeping static c/r in check would be easy with the 85 cc chamber AFR 270's. HP peak would come in at about 4,400 rpm give or take.

Though it seems counter intuitive we built a combo like the above but with pocket ported SCJ heads and an RPM intake with port matching at the roof of the port exits. This combo is in a 1966 Mercury 4 door pick up pulling an enclosed aluminum car trailer. Client is quite happy with the results.

Dyno sheet:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/11025722_800327450054643_6078915696749089287_o.jpg?oh=fd23ffbba58f862bb1060cce795eeb7c&oe=591AABF7

S
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker January 22nd 2017, 4:38 pm

you can get scj's for about $1700 on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Performance-Parts-M-6049-SCJ-Super-Cobra-Jet-Cylinder-Head-/272425691851?hash=item3f6dd62acb:g:2SUAAOSw44BYDw6-&vxp=mtr
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter January 22nd 2017, 5:02 pm

The AFR 270's retail for $2,099.00 according to my minimum dealer pricing information. The smaller port cross section should offer better torque production. In addition the AFR's from an out of the box perspective move a bunch more air at all lifts even vs SCJ's with an intake valve back cut. By the time one does the back cut and hand blends the ports the AFR's are a better value imo.

I built this combo long before the AFR's were ready for delivery. If called upon to build another I would use the AFR's.

That is a good price for SCJ assembled castings.

S
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl January 23rd 2017, 5:50 pm

Of the two choices, I'd go with the AFR's.  Pretty much any standard port intake will bolt right up, and can be port matched to the "roval" port of the AFR.  A Victor EFI intake (actually a Torker II pre-drilled for EFI) would be an easy bolt-on if you didn't want to weld and drill a non-EFI intake.

That said, alum heads seem like a waste on a dedicated street/towing rig.  I'd opt for some D3VE heads, cam/compression to match, and again the Victor EFI intake.  No need to go crazy here. Hell, maybe even just use the some E7/F3 heads and the factory EFI intake.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 23rd 2017, 6:47 pm

The build Lem did with the SCJ's would be hard to get even close to duplicating with a set of D3's hp or tq wise, even fully ported.

Plus the ability to run more static compression with the aluminum heads.

And Looking at the specs on the 270 AFR heads (if there correct) I would be willing to bet they would be even better because the air speed would be higher too, if the runner isn't shorter than the TFS head.

I guess the only reason I see to run the D3's over a set of aluminum heads would be the cost. (if you didn't have to pay someone to port them)

The build you need to be looking at for towing is Lem's 501 with TFS Streets.

https://www.429-460.com/t2925-502-f350-engine
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  outlawbird January 23rd 2017, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the information everyone.
outlawbird
outlawbird

Back to top Go down

Post  outlawbird February 12th 2017, 9:24 am

Thanks for the previous help everyone, the 545cid stroker kit and AFR 277cc heads are on the way to the shop. Now comes time to pick out an intake and camshaft.

As mentioned before I am going to run aftermarket muti-port EFI and the Edelbrock Victor (New Torquer II, I gather ) is a tempting because I can buy it ready to go, other than port matching. Would this intake be suitable for my goal, application? Reading others opinions on the intake suggest it's an very outdated piece and "other" intakes work better? What is your all's opinions?

As for the camshaft I was initially wanting to do a HYD Roller, but aging after doing some reading I'm thinking that's not a good move because others have had issues with durability and I want no parts of that! What style and size cam would you all recommend?

Thanks for the help everyone! Brandon.
outlawbird
outlawbird

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 12th 2017, 10:07 am

I too have been debating on which cylinder head to use for my Econoline build. Although I'm not anywhere near ready for an engine, I'll be following your engine build to see the outcome. I'm also planning on EFI and have been eyeballing FiTechs setup because I really like the concept of the ECU built into the throttle body. Really simplifies the installation. Do you plan on putting it on the dyno?
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  outlawbird February 12th 2017, 12:20 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:I too have been debating on which cylinder head to use for my Econoline build. Although I'm not anywhere near ready for an engine, I'll be following your engine build to see the outcome.  I'm also planning on EFI and have been eyeballing FiTechs setup because I really like the concept of the ECU built into the throttle body. Really simplifies the installation. Do you plan on putting it on the dyno?

I will likely do one of those 3 pulls for $85 deal on a chassis dyno in my area.
outlawbird
outlawbird

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 12th 2017, 1:25 pm

outlawbird wrote:Hi everyone, I am putting together a plan for myself to build a new engine for my F350. One of my burning question's are which cylinder heads would you guys choose to use between the TFS Street and AFR 277cc port?

I will be using the factory "Fuelie" block stroked to either 521 or 545 depending on suggestion's from the pro's Very Happy
Pump gas is a must and the truck will be used to pull my race car trailer as well as our 9500lb camper so I'm looking for loads of torque. As for the intake, aftermarket individual runner  EFI will be installed and a throttle body bolted on the carb pad is the plan no matter the selection.

I have read up on Lem's 521ci build and was really leaning towards building the same engine, then I seen the AFR heads with the smaller 277cc runner and started thinking TQ monster @ low RPM's? Probably a bad idea on my behave LOL. The intake was also another area of concern with AFR because a single plane is the only option?

Thanks for any help, Brandon.

In my opinion, to many people are over enthralled with Wide Open Throttle power when doing this kind of build. Part throttles, transients and manners going down the highway are paramount.

If this is not to be used in competition, there is not a much better flowing "velocity" head than an F4TE fuel-injection head package done for that particular application and purpose.

Price Motorsports adapters work very well for using a carbureted type intake manifold like the EFI Torquer II..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down