BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oiling modifications... and how much power?

+30
Mike R
68galaxie
stanger68
Hardy
windsor
DILLIGASDAVE
FalconEh
cool40
6t6mustang
Mark Miller
cletus66
Paul Kane
BBFTorino
jbozzelle
QtrWarrior
Carl
kjett
D. Sea
BigRigTech
BOSS 429
Curt
Doug Rahn
5pointslow
dfree383
Dave De
Bosskk1786
Lem Evans
DanH
rmcomprandy
nickpohlaandp
34 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 19th 2017, 3:58 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
Mike R wrote:Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah, no crap, right? Being civil and helpful would've been so much easier. I know I certainly don't join forums to be rude to people, but I'll return the same courtesies I'm given.

Ummmmm you know Nickpo I could be wrong but I'm kinda thinking Mike's shocked "WOW" comment might have actually been directed at your rude behavior, and not meant for Lem. But I could be wrong......

If you had actually spent some time using the search function you would most likely already have learned more than enough about when to fill a block and/or when not to fill a block that Lem's "don't do it" comment would have made perfect sense to you regarding your proposed combo's intended use.

It always happens, some new guy asks a question here, gets a bunch of answers from knowledgeable guys that have been doing BBF's for a very long time. Then he decides he doesn't like the answers he got "because it's not enough" and then demands people type out a book's worth of info in their response as if this site somehow owes it to him. It's damn aggravating.

It's just as aggravating as when new people come here, ask a question, and then after only a half hour get all pissed when everyone here doesn't drop what they are doing and give a instant response.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Empty Re: Oiling modifications... and how much power?

Post  Carl October 19th 2017, 7:58 am

How to block a member:
1. click on their name
2. click on "add to my foes list" (upper right above their name)
3. enjoy the forum, free of input from people who annoy you

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 8:11 am

[quote="DILLIGASDAVE"]
nickpohlaandp wrote:
Mike R wrote:Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yeah, no crap, right? Being civil and helpful would've been so much easier. I know I certainly don't join forums to be rude to people, but I'll return the same courtesies I'm given.

I've actually had a few people contact me via PM and tell me about that. I usually don't care to get childish like that, but it was obvious to me that he was just going to continue being an ass. If the old adage of "the truth hurts", I suppose what I said must've been true. Like I said previously, I don't know him. I only know his personality from what I've seen him post and from the few PM's I've received regarding him have said. You could call me a fat, ugly, racist, homosexual piece of shit all day long until you're blue in the face. It won't bother me because none of that's true.

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:[Ummmmm you know Nickpo I could be wrong but I'm kinda thinking Mike's shocked "WOW" comment might have actually been directed at your rude behavior, and not meant for Lem. But I could be wrong......

No, I bet you're correct.

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:It always happens, some new guy asks a question here, gets a bunch of answers from knowledgeable guys that have been doing BBF's for a very long time. Then he decides he doesn't like the answers he got "because it's not enough" and then demands people type out a book's worth of info in their response as if this site somehow owes it to him. It's damn aggravating.

It's just as aggravating as when new people come here, ask a question, and then after only a half hour get all pissed when everyone here doesn't drop what they are doing and give a instant response.

You know what Dave? I agree with your comment, the only problem here is that I did not receive "a bunch of answers". I received half thoughts. When you're working on a project that you're going to spend $10-$15k on just the drivetrain, you'd be a fool to just take the very first reply you received from anyone and act on it as if there could obviously be no other answer without at least asking for a little clarification.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 19th 2017, 8:17 am

Wow is right.  Good luck with your build Nick.  I seriously doubt you will get any more help scratch scratch scratch lol!

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 728ab47ab897cf54b3068d444a7c8d5f
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 8:23 am

D. Sea wrote:...I seriously doubt you will get any more help

You are implying that I'd gotten some in the first place.

Actually, I have, just not from Lem or his loyal followers

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett October 19th 2017, 8:49 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
nickpohlaandp wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:IF I was in your situation ... I would do a lot of reading using the SEARCH function about all this.

Wow! That's some profound advice. It's almost as if I'd never used a forum before. When so many people suggested I come here because the people are so nice, helpful, and knowledgeable about the 385 series, I had no idea they meant I'd get such great input from my very first reply. I never would've thought to search. Thanks a lot.

I was trying to be helpful because what you asked would probably require pages to write an educated response; maybe someone here who knows, might actually do that.

Nick,

Like others keep pointing out, you asked for basic info, and was 1st directed by Randy to do a simple search and you would have gotten your answers. He was right with the amount of time it would take to give you the detailed answers you were looking for. If you built engines for a living (like most of the people that have replied to you here including Lem, Randy, Carl, etc.), you would understand that time is money (as is in ANY business). Do you give 100% detailed info out to general public about everything you do for your line of work so that anyone off the street can do what you do, or do you hold back giving direction on where to find this info? If you did, you wouldn't be in business very long.

Anyway, you keep talking about how much knowledge you have in the BBC world, but have obviously been all over the web asking about when and why to use hard block? Might be time for you to take the chip off your shoulder, take your junk to a reputable engine builder, tell them your goals, and let them recommend the best way to go because you obviously don't know. Not saying I know everything, but I know enough that if I couldn't do a simple search on a forum and find every single answer to every question you have already asked since you got here, then it is time to pay someone. Willingness to learn is one thing, but this thread and others where you keep trashing the contributors and sponsors of this forum is completely uncalled for.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 19th 2017, 9:01 am

The Entitled Generation lol!

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Entitled-child2-640x320
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 19th 2017, 9:05 am

D. Sea wrote:The Entitled Generation lol!

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Entitled-child2-640x320
and I want it for free! Share your knowledge! Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 9:19 am

cool40 wrote:
D. Sea wrote:The Entitled Generation
and I want it for free! Share your knowledge!

I'm still waiting for someone to show me where I demanded anything. Pretty sure I haven't.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 October 19th 2017, 9:26 am

Nick, I have been a long time member of this board as well as the original 460ford.com as we moved over from SBF to BBF several years ago. you say you are on message boards often, but that seems very hard to believe because EVERY board I have ever been on from jrdragsterplus.com to here and everywhere in between, I FIRST use the search function to see if i can find the answers for something that might have already been answered 1000 times. It isnt very hard and all it takes it going 521 if you want to build a 521 and you can put that into search and search proven builds and others parts of the forum. Also, it wouldnt have taken a few minutes to look up Lem, Randy or any of the builders here that make a living doing this. Now if you had a question a simple search would not answer, that would be ok, but the hard block question and every other question you have had can be answered pretty easily and quickly! Again, I am not really much of a contributing member here, I lurk and use the search function much more often than I post. However, you did get answers from some very reputable builders here, it just doesnt seem like you want to listen. You seem head start on using A460 heads and if thats the case do it, however others have said on what you are wanting to use it for(street car 90% or more of the time with get street manners and reliability along with running 9's) the A460 head probably isnt worth it, good set of Ford SCJ or P-51 heads would work just as well as the AFR. The fact is though, you can pretty much do whatever you want, it's more limited than a BBC junk is, however there are 1000 ways to skin a cat. So my recommendation for you would to get those A460 heads, get you a cam spec by Lem(as he is one of the best in the country at it), put the motor together and have some fun, you seem to be making it much harder than it needs to be! I mean our old 466 outside has came spec by Lem, Ford SCJ aluminum heads and a 1050 dominator on it, me and my dad refreshed that motor ourselves after being built by Lem and Jet Boat Bob with pocket porting done by Charlie Evans and it will run 6.50's in our 3000 lb Ranger all day. Our mustang with 514 and piece of junk Pro-Comps with light porting that we got bare and put together ourselves will run 5.70-80's all day in 2800lb mustang, nothing special with either and the Ranger could prob easily go 6.40's or faster as that motor in the mustang ran low 6.0's.

Good luck on the build and hopefully everything with putting it together will be easy!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 19th 2017, 9:40 am

nickpohlaandp wrote:
QtrWarrior wrote:See  there is the rub....
Most of this group has been together since the early 2000's, thru a couple of website changes..
This is not a "forum"  To us, it is a brotherhood...

Whatever you want to call yourselves is fine, it makes no difference to me. My point is this is an online site open to the public for people who share a common interest. If that's not how you want it to be then go build a clubhouse, make a secret password, and have a blast. Otherwise, when someone comes in asking reasonable questions in a well thought out and articulated manner, there's no need to give him shit because he's not "one of the good 'ol boys". I'm not going to pretend for an instant that I know more about a BBF than any of you, but I can guarantee you one thing, and any of you who says different is a liar.... ALL of you learned by being taught, asking questions, and trial and error. None of you were born with the knowledge you currently have. Share it.
cyclops you only want answers to your questions so you can debate. Every question you asked can easily be found searching. Like you said None were born with the knowledge,but learning usually comes with a price. You may or may not understand this. Rolling Eyes
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 10:11 am

cobrakid8 wrote:Nick, I have been a long time member of this board as well as the original 460ford.com as we moved over from SBF to BBF several years ago. you say you are on message boards often, but that seems very hard to believe because EVERY board I have ever been on from jrdragsterplus.com to here and everywhere in between, I FIRST use the search function to see if i can find the answers for something that might have already been answered 1000 times. It isnt very hard and all it takes it going 521 if you want to build a 521 and you can put that into search and search proven builds and others parts of the forum. Also, it wouldnt have taken a few minutes to look up Lem, Randy or any of the builders here that make a living doing this. Now if you had a question a simple search would not answer, that would be ok, but the hard block question and every other question you have had can be answered pretty easily and quickly! Again, I am not really much of a contributing member here, I lurk and use the search function much more often than I post. However, you did get answers from some very reputable builders here, it just doesnt seem like you want to listen. You seem head start on using A460 heads and if thats the case do it, however others have said on what you are wanting to use it for(street car 90% or more of the time with get street manners and reliability along with running 9's) the A460 head probably isnt worth it, good set of Ford SCJ or P-51 heads would work just as well as the AFR. The fact is though, you can pretty much do whatever you want, it's more limited than a BBC junk is, however there are 1000 ways to skin a cat. So my recommendation for you would to get those A460 heads, get you a cam spec by Lem(as he is one of the best in the country at it), put the motor together and have some fun, you seem to be making it much harder than it needs to be! I mean our old 466 outside has came spec by Lem, Ford SCJ aluminum heads and a 1050 dominator on it, me and my dad refreshed that motor ourselves after being built by Lem and Jet Boat Bob with pocket porting done by Charlie Evans and it will run 6.50's in our 3000 lb Ranger all day. Our mustang with 514 and piece of junk Pro-Comps with light porting that we got bare and put together ourselves will run 5.70-80's all day in 2800lb mustang, nothing special with either and the Ranger could prob easily go 6.40's or faster as that motor in the mustang ran low 6.0's.

Good luck on the build and hopefully everything with putting it together will be easy!

Thank you for your input. It's nice to see someone not trying to start a fight. I truly do appreciate it. You're correct, picking out parts to build a 521 is easy. Anyone can Google what that takes. To come up with one that runs really well, you need to maximize your inputs. TBH, as far as cam specs go, at this point, even if Lem were the best in the world at spec'ing out a cam for a BBF, I have no reason to trust that he wouldn't screw me over out of spite. When it comes to the point where I'm ready for a cam, I'm absolutely going to ask for input, but I'm not going to take the first response I get an run with it. I'm going to gather input from a lot of people and compare the differences. I'll even pay to have a cam spec'd from one or two sources. Picking the correct cam can make or break your build.

I do use the search features in forums, but again, that only helps give me a baseline of where I should start asking questions. Personally, I still prefer an active dialogue when I'm trying to find answers.

Take the block fill deal for instance. Lem came into this thread and responded "Don't fill the block...". I didn't then, nor do I now, intend on filling my block, not even partially. I was re-reading through the thread though, and when I saw that post I searched "block fill" and read some of the info on this forum. I also went to our 'ol friend Google and searched "why do you use block fill", and I read a bunch of what I found there. Is it really such a horrible thing for me to come back to my thread later, after having read older posts and stuff I found via Google, and ask a question about block fill? I'm sincerely asking that question. Is that so horrible and inconsiderate of me to try and start a NEW dialogue?

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 10:16 am

cool40 wrote:...you only want answers to your questions so you can debate. Every question you asked can easily be found searching. Like you said None were born with the knowledge,but learning usually comes with a price. You may or may not understand this.

No sir. I never intended to debate anything. I ask questions for information. I ask questions to start a dialogue. I can't debate something that I am not well versed in. Asking another question when someone replies to my first question is not debating, it's looking for more information.

Think back to grade school when you were learning math. Do you remember the first time you saw a^2+b^2=c^2? I vaguely do, and I can vaguely remember thinking to myself "what the hell is this? since when are there letters in math?". I don't know about you, but I asked questions. One of them was most likely "who in the world came up with this, and how did they figure that out?". I wasn't berated by the teacher, I was educated.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 19th 2017, 10:21 am

honestly by your thread on Yellowbullet , id focus 100 % on the car and chassis for now and after you get that cage and everything sorted out to handle the engine then i would build an engine
ford or chevy and go from there . unless you bringing the car to a reputable chassis shop

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 October 19th 2017, 10:39 am

Thank you for your input. It's nice to see someone not trying to start a fight. I truly do appreciate it. You're correct, picking out parts to build a 521 is easy. Anyone can Google what that takes. To come up with one that runs really well, you need to maximize your inputs. TBH, as far as cam specs go, at this point, even if Lem were the best in the world at spec'ing out a cam for a BBF, I have no reason to trust that he wouldn't screw me over out of spite. When it comes to the point where I'm ready for a cam, I'm absolutely going to ask for input, but I'm not going to take the first response I get an run with it. I'm going to gather input from a lot of people and compare the differences. I'll even pay to have a cam spec'd from one or two sources. Picking the correct cam can make or break your build.

I do use the search features in forums, but again, that only helps give me a baseline of where I should start asking questions. Personally, I still prefer an active dialogue when I'm trying to find answers.

Take the block fill deal for instance. Lem came into this thread and responded "Don't fill the block...". I didn't then, nor do I now, intend on filling my block, not even partially. I was re-reading through the thread though, and when I saw that post I searched "block fill" and read some of the info on this forum. I also went to our 'ol friend Google and searched "why do you use block fill", and I read a bunch of what I found there. Is it really such a horrible thing for me to come back to my thread later, after having read older posts and stuff I found via Google, and ask a question about block fill? I'm sincerely asking that question. Is that so horrible and inconsiderate of me to try and start a NEW dialogue?[/quote]

I have had my run ins with some on this forum before, some just do not have a sunny disposition about them, just who they are and some take that personally and it rubs them the wrong way. Lem was our first foray into the BBF world, talked for a while before driving up to Jet Boat Bobs and getting everything put together by Lem and Jet Boat. Also spent a few years at NMRA bowling green hanging with some from this group, great group of guys that have forgotten more about BBF than me, my dad, you and many others put together will prob ever know. We freshened the 466 up ourselves because we found a little bit of metal in the oil, luckily it was found first thing and only one main was looking bad at all, we replaced all of that since we had it apart and its been together for years with hundreds of passes prob by now running 7.0 index races. There are plenty of people on here that can get things done right for you, Randy, Carl, Lem, Charlie, Blake which is IDT-572 i think, Paul Kane and a few others i just am not remembering for now. Lem wouldnt steer you wrong even if he hated you, it's business and doing you wrong would end up costing him more, now he might not do a cam for you, but that's a different conversation. Hopefully soon enough I have another motor if i get these juniors traded for a dragster, once that happens I havent figured out yet if i will build another motor(have another block and crank) or buy a built motor and get to running. Just take a look at the proven builds section, thats what i have spent a lot of my time in the last few weeks just in case i decide to build a motor instead of buying one already built, some real good motors with specs in there along with some that if they didnt run their best some suggestions on howto get more out of them. Again with what you are wanting to do, a full on race setup is to much maintenance anyways, so getting all the parts to work together well with fewer maintenance is what you are needing. A good Ford SCJ with a little massaging(Charlie), good spec'd cam, with your cubes can get you to 9's and street ready pretty easily.

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 19th 2017, 2:30 pm

Still making friends jocolor lol! jocolor
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett October 19th 2017, 2:33 pm

Can't a moderator just banish this idiot from here and we can all move on without having to deal with the grumpy troll from under the bridge? Rolling Eyes
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 2:52 pm

kjett wrote:Can't a moderator just banish this idiot from here and we can all move on without having to deal with the grumpy troll from under the bridge? Rolling Eyes

All of you...

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Whiners

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett October 19th 2017, 2:54 pm

well, bye then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Laughing
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 3:04 pm

kjett wrote:well, bye then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Laughing

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I give you the impression that I'm leaving? I'm not.

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow October 19th 2017, 3:12 pm

BBC for the win
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie October 19th 2017, 3:13 pm

You sir fit the definition of a Troll!

Lem is the nicest, most knowledgeable person on this forum. There are many others as well.

Calling someone like him an alcoholic is unbelievable. You are a real P.O.S.

Hopefully you will be banned from this forum.

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie October 19th 2017, 3:14 pm

double post
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 19th 2017, 3:56 pm

Oiling modifications... and how much power? - Page 8 Z
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  nickpohlaandp October 19th 2017, 4:07 pm

D. Sea wrote:....

It ain't easy bein' green .  Very Happy

nickpohlaandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next