BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header Building Advice

+14
rmk57
fordguy69
gt350hr
69F100
away
jasonf
whatbumper
BBFTorino
stanger68
samiam
cletus66
TravisRice
DILLIGASDAVE
wickettoby1
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Header Building Advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Header Building Advice

Post  jasonf December 10th 2018, 5:20 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:If I had to guess id say that MadDog makes Crites headers for them but I don't have proof to support that besides actually going to Crites and seeing their operation.

I believe I have heard that before.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr December 10th 2018, 5:36 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:I had MadDog on it before, I HATE the fact that the two front tubes on each side go under the control arms, also I swiched to a rack n pinon so that complicates things further.

If you use the "back half" of the Mad Dogs , you only have to "snake " two tubes down to them.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 10th 2018, 5:53 pm

When i switched to the rack n pinion the Mad Dogs no longer fit, you know the old 2 things can't occupy the same space theory. And also running a manual with a blowproof bellhousing caused them not to fit very well from the beginning.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 10th 2018, 5:59 pm

My current plan is the next set will be a 3/4 style header or a tri-y design. I believe it will be easier to snake 2 bigger pipes past the bellhousing and firewall vs 4 smaller.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  fordguy69 December 10th 2018, 6:47 pm

jasonf wrote:
wickettoby1 wrote:If I had to guess id say that MadDog makes Crites headers for them but I don't have proof to support that besides actually going to Crites and seeing their operation.

I believe I have heard that before.

Don't know about these days, but back in the 90's when I bought a Crites kit for my Mustang, the headers were made by Tubular Automotive in Mass. And they told me that they built all of Crites headers.

fordguy69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 December 10th 2018, 7:33 pm

FPA builds their headers without the tubes going underneath the control arms. May want to check them out.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiVkoOetZbfAhUNB3wKHcRNCScQFjAAegQICRAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordpowertrain.com%2Ffpaindex%2Fheaders2.htm&usg=AOvVaw2dQqKhCfgc1dyTf52VK9TH

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice December 10th 2018, 9:24 pm

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451097&highlight=hey+paulie9fingers#/topics/451097?page=5

This is my galaxie build from years ago. Home built headers. Front 2 tubes do run under the A-arms but are hugged up a lot tighter than the crites stuff. Back tubes run outside the frame rails because of the blow proof bell. They are about 34-35" long. If you leaf through the pictures you can see it's all tucked up tight. 2-1/4 - 4 inch collectors.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 10th 2018, 10:20 pm

If tri Y is what you are thinking FPA makes a 390 header. Obviously it is different but the general design may aid in a mental vision of what some 460 headers may look like. I looked at the FPA headers for my 56 and they seem to think Fords need the smallest ports imaginable. Rolling Eyes

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/galaxie1.htm

Header Building Advice - Page 2 60-64g10
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 10th 2018, 11:46 pm

I like the FPA designs but not the measly 1 3/4 primaries.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino December 11th 2018, 12:09 am

The last time I dealt with Crites, they were so rude and hateful on the phone, because their headers did not fit correctly, I was trying to get some info, and the owner ( I think his name is Charlie) was cursing and being a total A-hole.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 11th 2018, 2:02 am

I have a hell of a story about Crites and a set of engine mounts. They were at least 3 weeks late on delivering a set of engine mounts. When they finally showed up Crites had sent me two left side engine mounts. I talked to the owner (his name could have been Charlie) and told him I was gonna drive the 3 hours to there shop in the morning and I requested that he be there so we could chat. I'm sure you'd be surprised by the fact that he wasn't there in the morning. The best part is when they tried to exchange one of my left side mounts for a right side, the right mount box was full of left side mounts. Needless to say I vowed that day that Crites would never get another dollar of my money.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround December 11th 2018, 10:42 am

If you want great headers, check out Fab shop.

https://www.mikesfabshop.com/
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice December 11th 2018, 2:02 pm

Sounding more and more l like someone's looking for the best price on day old donuts. Than actually building a set of quality step headers.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 11th 2018, 2:25 pm

This thread was started seeking advice on building a set of headers and many of the responses have been very informative. I appreciate any and all who have responded. I'm gonna order a set of flanges and a mandrel bent kit (no one or vendor has offered to sell me materials) and try my hand at header building.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 December 12th 2018, 4:27 pm

Don't The Scared.......It is hard to find a shop that wants to build custom headers and they just make the price so high that you do it yourself. Kind of like being in Paint jail, they just never do it.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav December 12th 2018, 4:31 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:

-Does anyone who’s actually built a set of headers have any advice for a first time header builder?

I have so far built one set of headers.  I did them at lest three decades ago.  They are for a 351W in a 65 Mustang convertible.  They are 34 inch equal length.  The only way I could install them is to remove the heads.  During build the heads were on and off a lot.

I had a steel shop supply eight pieces of strap with a 1.5 inch hole in the center.  I bought collectors.  I had a hack saw, large half round file, and a torch.  I spent about a month.

They survived one engine replacement, I have just removed them and the engine.  The headers still look good.  However, I am now doing everything in stainless, even tho my TIG is still shaky.

I an currently doing two twin turbo headers.  One is for a 351/427W for the convertible.  The other is for a 460/604 for a 55 Ford wagon.  They both have Trick Flow heads.  The 351 has typical rectangular ports.  For that I bought a set of stainless headers for the flanges and stubs, and pipe - $100.  I also bought cast stainless T3 to V band adapters, short 90 degree bends, U bends, and donuts.

The 460 TF heads have a raised floor.  I had a laser shop cut eight stainless flanges, and internal dies to form the tubes.  Note: mild steel will form cold, stainless will not.

All the connections are V Band.

I have the old 351W set up as a jig.

Main requirement is patience.

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 12th 2018, 4:40 pm

How about some recommendations for material suppliers? Flanges, collectors, mandrel bends, ect...

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 12th 2018, 5:18 pm

Summit Racing sell weld up kit for less than $200 without flanges call Keith he can probably build you a set of flanges
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R December 12th 2018, 10:32 pm

This guy knows more about headers than anyone and should have everything you need, http://www.headersbyed.com/

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 December 12th 2018, 10:35 pm

I've been on that website many times looking around.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2