BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

broken oil pump photos

+3
snuff98
Paul Kane
BLES
7 posters

Go down

broken oil pump photos Empty broken oil pump photos

Post  BLES February 22nd 2022, 3:23 pm

So, I experienced the dreaded oil pump breakage. Curious as to whether or not they all break in the same spot.??
Mine broke right at the base - 3 pieces. A mounting bolt in a piece on each side, the center broke out.

BLES

Back to top Go down

broken oil pump photos Empty Re: broken oil pump photos

Post  Paul Kane February 22nd 2022, 4:55 pm

BLES wrote:I experienced the dreaded oil pump breakage. Curious as to whether or not they all break in the same spot.??
Mine broke right at the base - 3 pieces. A mounting bolt in a piece on each side, the center broke out.
Most people would be surprised to learn how often this is really due to the engine builder (who is none-the-wiser) and not the oil pump.

Perhaps a more productive question might be, "my oil pump broke--what are the best ways to set them up for high performance use so as to diminish the possibility of this happening?" Idea
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BLES February 22nd 2022, 5:51 pm

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to learn some of the cause of this from past failures. But, yes, you have likely worded what I was wondering much more effectively. I would like to learn "the best ways to set them up for high performance use so as to diminish the possibility of this happening".

BLES

Back to top Go down

Post  snuff98 February 22nd 2022, 8:08 pm

I have been racing bbf engines since the mid 1990's and never broken an oil pump but a good friend would break them often. I never use the gasket under the pump and always use a file to get the base of the pump flat and the pad where it mounts on the block flat and smooth also. I do NOT know if this is what helps or I just had good luck with stock pumps. I now have an aluminum Kaase pump.

snuff98

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus February 23rd 2022, 11:14 am

So what is the formula?
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 23rd 2022, 11:51 am

I haven't seen a rear sump situation have a pump break and it is most likely because the pick-up is braced to one of the main cap bolts and greatly lessens the amplitude of any vibration.
If you have a front sump situation then make some kind of brace to go from the pump to a main cap; (you can't buy it, you need to make it).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Gregaust, Mark Miller and nedceifus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BLES February 23rd 2022, 12:26 pm

Just as additional info for those who are also trying to learn. This is a rear sump in an '83 F100 with about 250 miles on the engine (502ci, Scat, AFR heads, 11:1). When I pulled it apart, it was broken, with no APPARENT stress on the mounting from the pickup. It DID have a gasket between pump and block. Standard Melling pump.

BLES

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 23rd 2022, 3:47 pm

BLES wrote:Just as additional info for those who are also trying to learn. This is a rear sump in an '83 F100 with about 250 miles on the engine (502ci, Scat, AFR heads, 11:1). When I pulled it apart, it was broken, with no APPARENT stress on the mounting from the pickup. It DID have a gasket between pump and block. Standard Melling pump.

All I can think of then is that it was somehow in a "stress" situation when everything got tightened.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BLES March 9th 2022, 12:13 pm

Update: I didn't want to move the engine to make room for a modified the pan to clear the larger Kaase pump. I spoke to Paul Kane and he was very helpful and courteous. I am going to address some of the potential breakage problems before installing a new pump. Thanks for all the advice.

BLES

Back to top Go down

Post  tbirdmike March 16th 2022, 5:44 pm

Ive never broken a pump. Ive been using the same pump since 1997 on my street strip motor. Front sump. Gasket with stock bolts, no support. Its been on two different blocks.

BLES. Can you share what you learned of potential break issues?

tbirdmike

Back to top Go down

Post  BLES March 16th 2022, 6:56 pm

tbirdmike wrote: BLES.    Can you share what you learned of potential break issues?

Well, I'm certainly no expert, and I'm not sure the experts agree anyway, but....

- Many stock and modified go MANY, MANY miles without problem.
- Some may be in very abusive environments that contribute to breaking.
- Some have been changed and may have been incorrectly mounted causing strain on the housing when the pickup was mounted.
- Some apparently are not flat at the mating surface to the block (and sometimes the block isn't perfect either).
- Some people blame the gasket or lack thereof.

It would seem the Kaase pump would cover any of these issues and be good insurance. It wouldn't fit my pan/crossmember without modification, so I decided to TRY something different.

My new pump will be checked and mounted VERY carefully, including the pickup and attaching point so as to not stress the pump. Not going to just grab the pump from the box and torque it down! I'm hoping for better results. Very Happy

I didn't assemble the one that broke so I can't comment as to the procedure. I could find no OBVIOUS reason why it broke.
Hopefully the new setup works and runs a long time like the millions out there that HAVE NOT broke.

Paul Kane was extremely courteous and helpful and has a wealth of oiling system knowledge. He would also encourage careful assembly and checks to ensure good results.

BLES

blown473 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 17th 2022, 10:18 pm

So where are the pictures of the broken pump?

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  BLES March 18th 2022, 9:59 am

No one replied with pictures and I can't get mine to attach. It broke right at the base just inside the two mounting bolts. The two bolts remain in the block and the oil pump falls down toward the pan.

BLES

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 18th 2022, 5:14 pm

A friend of mine used to install a very thin copper tube inside the pump body for just in case that very thing happens. I don't think he ever had a pump body break, but this was before Kaase pumps, and billit pumps, etc...
If the pump body broke, the tube would keep both halves connected and there would be no oil pressure loss...or very little.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 18th 2022, 9:12 pm

Photos ???

rmcomprandy

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content