BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crank pilot delemma

+4
the Coug
DILLIGASDAVE
fordman460
bb429power
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

crank pilot delemma - Page 2 Empty Re: crank pilot delemma

Post  the Coug March 21st 2010, 5:30 pm

as long as it has been checked out and made sure it is right run the crap out of it..... Most of the problems with them are the bigger cranks the bore hole in the rod throws are ...... hmmmm thin from the inside to the bearing surface.... and have them checked to make sure the journals are round. I see no problem with the rods. I would run it if you have it allready together....
We were just trying to save you time and money cuz the Stock Crank is major strong.... I have a stock Crank stroked to 4" and been turning it 7400 for years and not a single problem, looks like new last time I saw it.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 21st 2010, 5:47 pm

You guys are probably getting tired of my endless pit of questions. But, did you mean run the crap out of the stock or eagle crank if it checks out okay? And how do you stoke a stock crank? Never heard of that. Suspect
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 21st 2010, 5:54 pm

bb429power wrote:You guys are probably getting tired of my endless pit of questions. But, did you mean run the crap out of the stock or eagle crank if it checks out okay? And how do you stoke a stock crank? Never heard of that. Suspect

You offset grind the rod journals to BB Chevy dimensions. Been done for years and it works. We ran a 4.150" offset ground stock crank for several years, with zero issues. Used to be the cheap way to get more displacement before the aftermarket cranks became available.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 21st 2010, 6:04 pm

Wouldn't that make the journals really small and weak? Wait, I get it now, but I question how strong they would be. But they can't be too weak if your turning 7200 rpm's.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 21st 2010, 6:08 pm

bb429power wrote:Wouldn't that make the journals really small and weak?

Not really. The rod journals are at 2.500" stock and by offset grinding can go to 2.200" with plenty of beef left. We were making 950 hp out of our A460 headed 514" combo, no issues as I said. This is why we are all stressing the stock crank, it's a great piece with a lot of potential.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 21st 2010, 6:17 pm

Well I just want to step back and take the time to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Thank you, it means a lot to me that you take the time to help me out. Very Happy
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2