BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunnel wedge intake

+15
DJOHAGIN
schmitty
Diggindeeper
dadof384k
plovett
LivermoreDave
IDT-572
maverick
nuclearcobra
G-Code
rmcomprandy
dfree383
cool40
the Coug
57custom
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 Empty Re: Tunnel wedge intake

Post  G-Code August 16th 2010, 12:27 pm

[/quote]

What good is an intake that flows 470 when your heads won't flow anywhere close to it?

Randy[/quote]

Future growth Question

G-

G-Code

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 16th 2010, 1:10 pm

G-Code wrote:

What good is an intake that flows 470 when your heads won't flow anywhere close to it?

Randy[/quote]

Future growth Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 Icon_question

G- [/quote]

Show me any FE thats head will flow any where close......

None the biggest valve that can fit in any of those heads is 2.23 comfortably....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 16th 2010, 1:15 pm

the Coug wrote:
G-Code wrote:

Randy

Future growth Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 Icon_question

G- [/quote]

Show me any FE thats head will flow any where close......

None the biggest valve that can fit in any of those heads is 2.23 comfortably....

Randy[/quote]Tunnel Port Stuff used a 2.25.........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 16th 2010, 1:19 pm

yes Dave and 90% have cracked cylinders between the intake and exhaust seats.... almost everyone I have seen has....and yes the High risers had 2.250 also but almost everyone has cracked head between the seats ....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  G-Code August 16th 2010, 1:44 pm

dfree383 wrote:

Show me any FE thats head will flow any where close.

Randy
Tunnel Port Stuff used a 2.25.........[/quote]

I was only slightly being a smart ass, but since you asked, here you go:

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 BilletFEhead2

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 BilletFEhead

If I recall correctly I was told there's a guy who get's raw edelbrock castings and get's mid 400's out of them.

I actually meant to hit a Rolling Eyes after my last post but didn't edit it.

G- Smile

G-Code

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 16th 2010, 2:05 pm

That aint no production FE head, that a Tunnel Wedge intake is going to go on.........Might as well be a Cleveland.......

For Reference SOHC heads will get into the low 400's with good porting.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper August 16th 2010, 10:10 pm

you can get a repop TP from Dove, but you'll be lucky if the head bolt holes are in the right spot Razz
for reference Garrett Machine makes an adaptor that goes from FE to a cleveland style intake for those who care.......
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 17th 2010, 5:27 pm

It's a fallacy that your intake and cylinder head should flow the same on the flow bench. A flowbench doesn't accurately simulate what happens in your cylinder head when the engine is running. That's fine as the flow numbers you get are just a measure for comparison. When you flow an intake manifold the flowbench again doesn't accurately simulate what happens in your intake and furthermore it's inaccurate in different ways. So, just because your heads flow 320 cfm on a flowbench doesn't necessarily mean your intake should flow 320 cfm, too. Don't get mesmerized by solely by numbers.

All that said, I would say, and this is a guess and a generalization, that ideally your intake manifold as flowed on a bench "should" flow about 25-30% higher than your cylinder heads flow on a flow bench.

And I believe even when the intake flow to cylinder head flow ratio exceeds that, the engine will stay make more power, assuming the intake CSA and/or plenum volume is not too big.

paulie

Last edited by plovett on August 17th 2010, 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave August 17th 2010, 9:39 pm

I don't want to become part of this pissing contest, but Jeff Colvert has the Edelbrock FE "P" casting flowing well over 400 CFM.

Dave.

P.S. How are you doing Todd?

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 17th 2010, 9:42 pm

Here's the big question. What would this manifold do that any other manifold we have won't do? Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 18th 2010, 12:20 am

schmitty wrote:Here's the big question. What would this manifold do that any other manifold we have won't do? Cool

LOOK trick under the hood of a street/cruising car, LOL.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN August 18th 2010, 12:45 am

Blue Thunder makes a "Tunnel Wedge" design intake for the 385 series engine, albeit, you have to use Boss heads to use it.

Picture: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119686 Scoll down.

How much work would it take to adapt that intake to a set of CJ-style heads?

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 18th 2010, 1:22 am

Dave,

The interface angle between the wedge heads and intake manifold is a fairly standard 45*. Between the Boss heads and intake manifolds it is a 30* angle I believe. One time years ago I was able to get an unmachined Indy Cylinder Head 440-1 intake manifold from Russ Flagle, and then adapt it to something else. In regards to this 2 X 4 tunnel wedge idea, the best way to get there would be to get a raw unmachined Boss intake manifold from Art Francis at Blue Thunder, and I still wouldn't guarantee that it could be done.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 18th 2010, 6:30 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
schmitty wrote:Here's the big question. What would this manifold do that any other manifold we have won't do? Cool

LOOK trick under the hood of a street/cruising car, LOL.

I suppose this doesn't apply to the 385 series guys 'cause the manifold in non-existant, but I got mine cheaper than a Victor FE, it flows more out of the box, I'll have better hood clearance, and two good 3310's cost me about $200. But most importantly I don't want to be in the "me, too!" crowd with a stroker motor, solid roller cam, and Victor intake.

JMO,

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 18th 2010, 6:42 pm

My Grandpa had an FE............. Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 18th 2010, 7:06 pm

Question is.....is it a better manifold and/or head? The stock car deals.....2V and 390 4V engines it'd look like it would not matter about additional flow. Facts are that better stuff runs better. A good design will make more power and a good design seems to also flow better.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 22nd 2010, 11:28 am

I would say that the Victor with a Dominator will be roughly equal in potential to a Tunnel Wedge with with two 4150's. On an FE that is. So there's probably nothing to be gained in making a 385 series version. But for Randy to say the Tunnel Wedge is for looking cool while cruising the fairgrounds is just plain ignorant.

And by the way I totally get that any common 385 series engine has more potential than any common FE engine. Very Happy

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 22nd 2010, 11:37 am

plovett wrote:I would say that the Victor with a Dominator will be roughly equal in potential to a Tunnel Wedge with with two 4150's. On an FE that is. So there's probably nothing to be gained in making a 385 series version. But for Randy to say the Tunnel Wedge is for looking cool while cruising the fairgrounds is just plain ignorant.

And by the way I totally get that any common 385 series engine has more potential than any common FE engine. Very Happy

paulie

I think you should read and understand the jist of this whole thread. The FE Tunnel Wedge is not in question here. You seem to be SOoooo defensive that you can't see or read straight.

Then YOU should tell me and everybody else here what would be the purpose of the production of a "Tunnel Wedge Style" intake made for a 385 engine. THAT was the question and it said NOTHING about that manifold on an FE.
It is evident that you wish to defend the Tunnel Wedge and calling people names which questions their knowledge on the subject is your main way to try to discredit them.
I have probably done more work and more dyno testing with an FE Tunnel Wedge along with the actual Tunnel Port manifolds than you must realize - IGNORANT; I think you should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word.

The ONLY purpose for having one MADE FOR A 385 ENGINE is for the LOOK it would provide; other manifolds available would surely OUTPOWER it.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with that intake manifold on an FE engine.

EDIT: AND, I never said anything about fairgrounds ... you also seem to like to put words into people's mouths when it suits your argument.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 23rd 2010, 6:33 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
plovett wrote:I would say that the Victor with a Dominator will be roughly equal in potential to a Tunnel Wedge with with two 4150's. On an FE that is. So there's probably nothing to be gained in making a 385 series version. But for Randy to say the Tunnel Wedge is for looking cool while cruising the fairgrounds is just plain ignorant.

paulie

I think you should read and understand the jist of this whole thread. The FE Tunnel Wedge is not in question here. You seem to be SOoooo defensive that you can't see or read straight.

Then YOU should tell me and everybody else here what would be the purpose of the production of a "Tunnel Wedge Style" intake made for a 385 engine. THAT was the question and it said NOTHING about that manifold on an FE.
It is evident that you wish to defend the Tunnel Wedge and calling people names which questions their knowledge on the subject is your main way to try to discredit them.
I have probably done more work and more dyno testing with an FE Tunnel Wedge along with the actual Tunnel Port manifolds than you must realize - IGNORANT; I think you should get a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word.

The ONLY purpose for having one MADE FOR A 385 ENGINE is for the LOOK it would provide; other manifolds available would surely OUTPOWER it.
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with that intake manifold on an FE engine.

EDIT: AND, I never said anything about fairgrounds ... you also seem to like to put words into people's mouths when it suits your argument.

That was fun. Thanks for explaining yourself more clearly. Sorry I said "fairgrounds". My mistake. LOL!

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 23rd 2010, 6:53 am

Cool Factory Yes..... Keep in mind the tunnel wedge stuff was build PD (Pre-Dominator)...... Only way to get enough air into a motor was a 2x4 set-up.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 23rd 2010, 6:55 am

Let me make it a little more clear. I apologize to you, Randy.

It seems we have both rubbed each other the wrong way. Very Happy Razz

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 23rd 2010, 7:26 am

dfree383 wrote:Cool Factory Yes..... Keep in mind the tunnel wedge stuff was build PD (Pre-Dominator)...... Only way to get enough air into a motor was a 2x4 set-up.

Absolutely. There's definitely a few more ways to get there now. There's at least 3, maybe 4 completely different manifold/carb designs that could get me into the hp range I'd like to be in.

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 2 Empty 2x4 single plane

Post  JBR-3 August 23rd 2010, 1:22 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 23rd 2010, 1:26 pm

Yes in theory, equal legnth runners would be desireable, but on the same subject, unequal length runners tune in the middle or equalize so to speak.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2010, 1:41 pm

plovett wrote:Let me make it a little more clear. I apologize to you, Randy.

It seems we have both rubbed each other the wrong way. Very Happy Razz

paulie

No need for an appology ... just realize that the FE engine and that already available intake had nothing to do with any of my comments.
They were all about producing a Tunnel Wedge Style intake for a 385 engine.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next