BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunnel wedge intake

+15
DJOHAGIN
schmitty
Diggindeeper
dadof384k
plovett
LivermoreDave
IDT-572
maverick
nuclearcobra
G-Code
rmcomprandy
dfree383
cool40
the Coug
57custom
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 3 Empty Re: Tunnel wedge intake

Post  plovett August 23rd 2010, 1:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
plovett wrote:Let me make it a little more clear. I apologize to you, Randy.

It seems we have both rubbed each other the wrong way. Very Happy Razz

paulie

No need for an appology ... just realize that the FE engine and that already available intake had nothing to do with any of my comments.
They were all about producing a Tunnel Wedge Style intake for a 385 engine.

Gotcha. Have you by chance tried both a Tunnel Wedge and a Victor FE on the same engine?

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2010, 1:48 pm

JBR-3 wrote:Sorry to get off kilter a little, but I think this is an interesting topic, a low rise single plane 2x4. A curious intake
(i.e., sort of like the CJ Stealth. What would be the theoretically proper application for a two plane with large
cross section runners, you would guess a very large CID low RPM engine).
If there was a 2x4 low rise single plane available for the various BBF heads, say with the same carb height as a Victor,
would there be any real advantage to having all 8 runners closer in length than a Victor ? No advantage to
"spreading out" the carburetion with two smaller carbs vs. one large carb in the center ? If one centrally located carb
makes more power than two smaller, would a PS engine then not make more power with one large "Super Dominator"
say with four 3-inch throttle bores ?
Also, would a high rise tunnel ram generally make more high RPM power than a low rise tunnel ram with
equal cross section runners, even though it has longer runners ?
Then again, what if this new low rise BBF 2x4 single plane had smaller cross section runners,
what would be its best application ?
Yes, I know it's all just conjecture without actually having the parts to test and prove out.
I'm curious to hear other's thoughts.

Tell me what is the advantage for someone to mass produce one and lose a lot of money in the process...?
If you are independantly wealthy and wish to do such a thing for a "labor of love" is the ONLY way it will ever get done ... got an extra 50 grand that you wish to donate...?
To the benefactor, how much torque, horsepower or drivability it will have is entirely immaterial if it doesn't sell.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2010, 1:56 pm

plovett wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
plovett wrote:Let me make it a little more clear. I apologize to you, Randy.

It seems we have both rubbed each other the wrong way. Very Happy Razz

paulie

No need for an appology ... just realize that the FE engine and that already available intake had nothing to do with any of my comments.
They were all about producing a Tunnel Wedge Style intake for a 385 engine.

Gotcha. Have you by chance tried both a Tunnel Wedge and a Victor FE on the same engine?

paulie

Not a Victor ... but, the only similar "back to back" comparison was with an older Holley single plane which had been cut-away to be an air gap and the plenum ported for a 1050 Dominator; it was equal to an "out of the box" Tunnel Wedge with 2 - 660 cfm Holley carbs.
Better carbs MAY have helped the tunnel wedge; I don't know.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  plovett August 23rd 2010, 3:24 pm

[/quote]

Not a Victor ... but, the only similar "back to back" comparison was with an older Holley single plane which had been cut-away to be an air gap and the plenum ported for a 1050 Dominator; it was equal to an "out of the box" Tunnel Wedge with 2 - 660 cfm Holley carbs.
Better carbs MAY have helped the tunnel wedge; I don't know.[/quote]

Was it a Holley Street Dominator? Starting out like so:

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 3 P1010060-01resized

paulie

plovett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 24th 2010, 10:33 am

plovett wrote:

Better carbs MAY have helped the tunnel wedge; I don't know.[/quote]

Was it a Holley Street Dominator? Starting out like so:

Tunnel wedge intake - Page 3 P1010060-01resized

paulie[/quote]

Thet was the base manifold.
It was on a 410 inch engine; 428 stroke, 390 bore like a Mercury engine.

That Holley is a realy good manifold and it has already been designed so those costs are gone; it wouldn't take much for Holley/Weiand to re-cast it as an "air strike" but they just won't do it. They say there is no market for it. Along with their old #-8 Mopar S.B. manifold; (they would be best served to do a little redesigning on that one so the bolt pattern fits a Magnum engine though).

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3