BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SFI cert question

4 posters

Go down

SFI cert question Empty SFI cert question

Post  curiousgeorge September 21st 2010, 6:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the definition to the SFI specs, I'm looking for 6.1 (bellhousings) and 1.1? (clutches). We had a truck lose a clutch the last two weekends luckily no one was hurt but this last weekend a piece of clutch cut the fuel line and the truck burnt. Both cases had Lakewood bellhousings and was just wondering what exactly they were supposed to hold up to?

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

SFI cert question Empty Re: SFI cert question

Post  Nevs September 21st 2010, 7:43 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the definition to the SFI specs, I'm looking for 6.1 (bellhousings) and 1.1? (clutches). We had a truck lose a clutch the last two weekends luckily no one was hurt but this last weekend a piece of clutch cut the fuel line and the truck burnt. Both cases had Lakewood bellhousings and was just wondering what exactly they were supposed to hold up to?

Have you tried the SFI website? If nothing else you could email them the question.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge September 21st 2010, 7:50 pm

I tried the website and all I could find was what was covered not the explanation of to what extent. I was told once that a steel lakewood was supposed to absorb a flywheel at 8000rpms but that is all I've ever heard. IMO if they can take a flywheel a clutch and pressure plate should be no prob for them. Haven't talked to the guy yet and don't know how long it has been since the pressure plate or bellhousing have been cert.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 21st 2010, 7:52 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:I tried the website and all I could find was what was covered not the explanation of to what extent. I was told once that a steel lakewood was supposed to absorb a flywheel at 8000rpms but that is all I've ever heard. IMO if they can take a flywheel a clutch and pressure plate should be no prob for them. Haven't talked to the guy yet and don't know how long it has been since the pressure plate or bellhousing have been cert.

Gotcha. What about calling Lakewood? I would think they should have the answer as well.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 22nd 2010, 3:15 pm

curiousgeorge wrote: We had a truck lose a clutch the last two weekends

When did the clutch exit the bell? The first time or the second?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge September 22nd 2010, 6:08 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote: We had a truck lose a clutch the last two weekends

When did the clutch exit the bell? The first time or the second?

I should have said trucks. It was 2 different trucks, the first one the bell seperated from the block and both disks were laying on the ground complete.(I've heard rumor that he did not have all the bellhousing bolts in but that's just hearsay) The second one I've been told was the pressure plate that exploded and pieces came through the bell. I don't know if they had been cert. in the last 5 yrs or not but it's making me think real hard about everyones saftey at the pulls. I'm begining to think we need to step up to the 6.3 housings with liners. 6.1 is supposed to cover everything up to a dual disk and a triple up to 8 inches.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 22nd 2010, 7:54 pm

Gotcha. Maybe the heat would affect them after so many years. The only thing you can do to test them is non-destructive testing like magnaflux or x-ray. But that will not tell you if the metal is fatigued to the point of being weak enough to seperate.

I'd call Lakewood and get their take on it.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger October 26th 2010, 12:15 am

curiousgeorge wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the definition to the SFI specs, I'm looking for 6.1 (bellhousings) and 1.1? (clutches). We had a truck lose a clutch the last two weekends luckily no one was hurt but this last weekend a piece of clutch cut the fuel line and the truck burnt. Both cases had Lakewood bellhousings and was just wondering what exactly they were supposed to hold up to?

What are you running? A puller? I know that IHRA/NHRA do not allow fuel line to be routed inside the frame rails unless housed in steel tubing of .083" wall thickness and minimum of 18 inches in length.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down