BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

+26
bosshoss
dfree383
BOSS 429
DFI429
stang93mustang
Mark Miller
bruno
wild pony
black xw
DILLIGASDAVE
665 falcon
429 Powered 84
342g
the Coug
fe50stang
lghting94
bbf-falcon
badnotch
jones
72mav
whitefield
whatbumper
'65 T-BOLT
richter69
cool40
JT557
30 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty Re: DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

Post  richter69 January 16th 2011, 4:27 pm

Only good thing about doing a T400 now if when you figure out the 3 speed is not the right choice the glide swap will be halfway done.................. Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty Re: DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

Post  JT557 January 16th 2011, 4:38 pm

richter69 wrote:Only good thing about doing a T400 now if when you figure out the 3 speed is not the right choice the glide swap will be halfway done.................. Wink
yeah Jon i know , you still keep kickin my a** over that glide I already know that the glide would be choice ,but till i kick my Own a** to run the glide... I will have to blow the sh*t out of the trans that won't handle my thrashing then maybe i'll run the glide, If that day ever comes,,,, don't get me wrong... the glide to me is more for prefference....... Shocked
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 January 16th 2011, 6:09 pm

all the fast guys at drag week ran 400 in the 6.90 to 7.50 no glides

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 16th 2011, 8:10 pm

quick 52 wrote:all the fast guys at drag week ran 400 in the 6.90 to 7.50 no glides

Damn shame he's not building a 6.90 to 7.50 car....then the 400 might be the answer, sometimes you just have to learn from your mistakes!... Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty hey

Post  JT557 January 16th 2011, 9:12 pm

Nevs wrote:
quick 52 wrote:all the fast guys at drag week ran 400 in the 6.90 to 7.50 no glides

Damn shame he's not building a 6.90 to 7.50 car....then the 400 might be the answer, sometimes you just have to learn from your mistakes!... Laughing
Hey ''' that's hittin below the belt..... Laughing
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 16th 2011, 9:17 pm

JT557 wrote:
Nevs wrote:

How so? You've been given good advise in regards to running a powerglide and you choose to ignore it. Don't say we didn't tell you so. Build your turbo 400 and be done with it! As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty yes

Post  JT557 January 16th 2011, 9:24 pm

Nevs wrote:
JT557 wrote:
Nevs wrote:

How so? You've been given good advise in regards to running a powerglide and you choose to ignore it. Don't say we didn't tell you so. Build your turbo 400 and be done with it! As the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"!
yes , that's true especially when there as hard headed as myself,.... heehuuu pppppddddrrrrr lol!
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty hey now nevs,,,

Post  JT557 January 16th 2011, 10:03 pm

hey nevs '' hold on a second , haven't you ever seen a car with a combination that shocked you when they told you what they were runnin,? well even if it don't work right for some is'nt there a possibility that it could work fine for someone else??? ofcourse depending on driver,now be opened minded about this, ............ now i do know about the glide and all it's possibilitys, i know it's good advise.... i'm not knockin the glide it's just not my cup of tea now i've been doin some research on the c4 and i could make a bigger mistake by tryin that, but i'm just listenin to you guy's with a little more expeir. than what i have run and now i'm coming to the conclusion that the TH400 might handle a little more than the c4 so don't kick me so hard i believe everyone about the glide no dispute .... I'm a good guy......
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav January 17th 2011, 2:19 pm

Jay,
Have you gotten a price for one yet? You can get spragles internals for them. Thats what goes in them, buts thats where the price kicks in.
GLIDE OR C6 BABY!!!! Razz Smile
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 17th 2011, 2:37 pm

Screw it...... Get a LENCO..... Real men shift it themself...... Laughing Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 17th 2011, 4:43 pm

dfree383 wrote:Screw it...... Get a LENCO..... Real men shift it themself...... Laughing Laughing

with a bruno drive. Laughing

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  JT557 January 17th 2011, 7:47 pm

dfree383 wrote:Screw it...... Get a LENCO..... Real men shift it themself...... Laughing Laughing
Yeah if i't were'nt so much cash i would choose lenco over every one.... my uncle had a excuse my language .... but he had a 454 bored out to 685 cubes with big chief pontiac heads and a lenco with 411 gears pullin 7.17 et. in the quarter @ 198 mph..at bristol tenn. the lenco is the the cat's meow.... but that's dreamin right now maybe in a few yrs........ Twisted Evil
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 17th 2011, 7:54 pm

By the time you get the TH400 figured out you'll spend more than the Lenco. You know the old saying "pay me now or pay me later" Sleep
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  JT557 January 17th 2011, 8:21 pm

Curt wrote:By the time you get the TH400 figured out you'll spend more than the Lenco. You know the old saying "pay me now or pay me later" Sleep
Ok" HERE'S ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION WHAT KINDA MONEY ARE WE TALKIN FOR A LENCO DOES ANYONE KNOW???? ARE'NT THEY ABOUT $7.200
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 17th 2011, 8:50 pm

With a Lenco/clutch setup you usually need more gears (4 or 5 speed) and/or steeper first gear to make up for not having any torque multiplication effect from a converter. With a Lenco/converter setup you can usually use less gears (3 speed) because of the added benefit of the converter's torque multiplication effect, plus the Lenco gear ratio choices help out.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 17th 2011, 9:13 pm

JT557 wrote:
Curt wrote:By the time you get the TH400 figured out you'll spend more than the Lenco. You know the old saying "pay me now or pay me later" Sleep
Ok" HERE'S ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION WHAT KINDA MONEY ARE WE TALKIN FOR A LENCO DOES ANYONE KNOW???? ARE'NT THEY ABOUT $7.200

While a brand new Lenco might be kinda pricey, a full tilt Pro Mod/Top Sportsman TH400 (with all the best aftermarket parts & Steve Griner T-brake & front pump) isn't dirt cheap either. I can tell you that a buddy spent almost $5000 on a TH400 before it would hold up to an ex P/S high winding 1100 hp NA + 9800 rpm + small nitrous added combo. And even after spending all that money on the bullit-proof TH400, the car was still slightly faster with it's old glide combo.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  JT557 January 17th 2011, 9:47 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
JT557 wrote:

While a brand new Lenco might be kinda pricey, a full tilt Pro Mod/Top Sportsman TH400 (with all the best aftermarket parts & Steve Griner T-brake & front pump) isn't dirt cheap either. I can tell you that a buddy spent almost $5000 on a TH400 before it would hold up to an ex P/S high winding 1100 hp NA + 9800 rpm + small nitrous added combo. And even after spending all that money on the bullit-proof TH400, the car was still slightly faster with it's old glide combo.
WOW '' that sure is some R's . eventually i hope to be at that 1100 HP range but for now i'll work with the little 850 hp i'll have ..... cheers cheers cheers cheers
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 17th 2011, 9:49 pm

WELL!!! Did ya get the point==== was faster with the glide

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 17th 2011, 10:15 pm

Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 6 Empty point

Post  JT557 January 17th 2011, 10:39 pm

res0rli9 wrote:WELL!!! Did ya get the point==== was faster with the glide
yea i got the point years ago but as i keep sayin the glide aint my cup of jack so movin right along,...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................THEIRS THE POINT..............................OPPS THERE IT GOES AGAIN.......................................
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 18th 2011, 2:16 am

JT557 wrote:
res0rli9 wrote:WELL!!! Did ya get the point==== was faster with the glide
yea i got the point years ago but as i keep sayin the glide aint my cup of jack so movin right along,...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................THEIRS THE POINT..............................OPPS THERE IT GOES AGAIN.......................................

OK! WHAT YOU NEED IS A...WAMA_JAMA...put one of them in and it'll fly cheers Laughing

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 18th 2011, 9:19 am

a WAMA What????? Wink
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 January 18th 2011, 9:55 am

Heck with all this discussion why not just build a good ol FMX tranny. I think that is one of the few that hasn't been discussed in here.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 18th 2011, 5:27 pm

quick 52 wrote:u can run a 400 with not much done at all for 600hp a good sprag trango level 3 shift kit good clutches a 4500 convertor i ran one home built for 3 years behind a 408 with a 250 hit of spray ran 9.70s I'm running a 700r4 behind a 472 with a coan adapter to chevy will work with a 400 u can use your flexplate and starter too just drill the flex to match 1 hole will line up u drill the other 2 then drill a hole 3/16" each side of the match one to balance it out put a blanket and rock
dragweek quickest street rod
2009 2010

This is what really chaps my A$$ when people come on here and run their mouth ( who don't build transmissions or have only done two or three in their life , and about how great goverment motors transmissions are.
I build transmissions for a living weather it be stock or race, truck pulling ect.
If you guy's running your chevy transmissions only new how many of the chevy transmissions I build as compared to the Ford .

The Aod is a better and stronger trans than the 700R4 and don't run as hot!
The C-6 shifts beter and is stronger than a Th400
The C-4 is just as good if not a little better than the th350
All of the Above combo's are easier to put in your Ford and less expensive.

I think it is funny how everyone wants to think a chevy trans or a chevy designed trans will hold up in their hotrod Ford better than what Ford built and designed.

I also like how a Powerglide and C-4 and th400 and accasionally a 700R4 trans are the only transmissions on the plannet to run in your Fast Ford to make it faster cheaper and more competitive!

Then we got the c-4 to power glide comparrison
or the c-4 to th400 comparison.

Run what your wallet can afford do some reaserch and see whats out their ! Just because its a big name brand transmission doesn't mean it is the most reliable or the best engineered.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT January 18th 2011, 5:55 pm

lghting94 wrote:Heck with all this discussion why not just build a good ol FMX tranny. I think that is one of the few that hasn't been discussed in here.
hell...why not build the ole 2 speed fordamatic...I had a 62 fairlane with one...I believe it were a 2 speed!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next