BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

+26
bosshoss
dfree383
BOSS 429
DFI429
stang93mustang
Mark Miller
bruno
wild pony
black xw
DILLIGASDAVE
665 falcon
429 Powered 84
342g
the Coug
fe50stang
lghting94
bbf-falcon
badnotch
jones
72mav
whitefield
whatbumper
'65 T-BOLT
richter69
cool40
JT557
30 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 4 Empty Re: DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

Post  whitefield December 13th 2010, 10:46 pm

Sorry Bruno, I was just trying to make some honest suggestions, state some facts and point out that a 3 speed chevy trans is not cheaper or better to build than a 3 speed Ford.
I do realize that a power glide has its place in a Ford but I was not arguing that point.

On behalf of my car I know I am not making any power never said I was and I am not running a c-6 either!
I was just stating the facts that I put a lot of street mile and passes down the track.
I also don't know much but I do know transmissions!

You have any time slips and videos of your ride ?
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 4 Empty Re: DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done??

Post  cool40 December 13th 2010, 10:55 pm

whitefield wrote:Sorry Bruno, I was just trying to make some honest suggestions, state some facts and point out that a 3 speed chevy trans is not cheaper or better to build than a 3 speed Ford.
I do realize that a power glide has its place in a Ford but I was not arguing that point.

On behalf of my car I know I am not making any power never said I was and I am not running a c-6 either!
I was just stating the facts that I put a lot of street mile and passes down the track.

your the only person that has to like what you have. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 13th 2010, 11:17 pm

cool40 wrote:
whitefield wrote:Sorry Bruno, I was just trying to make some honest suggestions, state some facts and point out that a 3 speed chevy trans is not cheaper or better to build than a 3 speed Ford.

your the only person that has to like what you have. Very Happy

this is true, honestly I could care less what others think, its all about the "me" ............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield December 13th 2010, 11:22 pm

badnotch wrote:
3070 lbs with driver
10.64 @ 126.79 1/4
6.72 @ 102.54 1/8
True street Car / on pump gas

YOU ALSO DONT MAKE NO POWER Smile cheers

Come on dude need some time slips and video !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 13th 2010, 11:26 pm

bruno wrote:
badnotch wrote:
3070 lbs with driver
10.64 @ 126.79 1/4
6.72 @ 102.54 1/8

its remarks like that , that will get you the boot ....... this forum will no longer tolerate this kind of sarcasism ...who's next !

I usually don't throw the first punch, but in this case I did with the bolt hole remark..............my bad........... Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller December 14th 2010, 1:19 am

whitefield wrote:
black xw wrote:I used a JW bellhousing for my TH400 , I cut the housing off the 400 & then bolted up the JW unit. One lesson I learned was that you need to index the new housing as they can be bolted up but the input shaft may be slightly off centre, I did not and it resulted in a broken stator in my convertor. So pulled the housing off & had it checked and milled the face that mates to the pump. 2 years on and the 400 as not missed a beat.

If you put a c-6 in it you wouldn't have this problem!

The reason I posted about the hot street is just that they shouldn't be making the same kinda hp or tq as the 600 cubes! So it seems to me if they are having problems with the expensive 400 TURDOs looks like a lesser( stock) trans with larger cubes would have a tougher time holding up!

To the 1200 dollar turbo guy not everyone can get that kind of deal ! I am a trans shop that gets my parts almost for nothing and to build your tans at that cost would mean that you got your parts cheap and little to no labor! the average racer can't do that!

a parts list at close to cost for your trans and you do the math and check the prices and compare:
trans brake valve body 300 not a junk one either!
trans. Core 125
bellhousing 225
cleaner 100
complete stock overhaul kit comes with: clutches, steels , front pump bushing, filter, band and gasket set 115.
Thats 865$ with no shipping , taxes or labor for the build or removing the bell . This also doesn't count for the extra things you mentioned before that was in your trans or a deep or after market pan.

C-6 parts list at walk up idiot price!
valve body 550 bucks
complete race overhaul kit with red racing clutches black or Koelene steels filter new wide band Teflon sealing rings pump gears and bushings 250
deep aluminium pan 100
cleaner 100
core 100
servo 100
machining for extra clutches and all rollerized with cooler and lube hole modification 200 .

For a grand total of 1400 so is a 400 really cheaper ? you saved 200 dollars for a stock chevy trans over a built ford trans! Good luck to th OP!

X2 on everthing you say if i didn't have a local guy build my C-4 you would for sure be 2nd on my list.He also uses the stock overhaul clutch kits and my C-4 has been together for 9 to 10 years.It has a lot more stock parts in it than people realize still have the stock Ford transmission pan on it.It has a stock valvebody with a full manual shift kit and a JW servo cover that's it.I have only ran a best of a 11.27 at 122.73 mph but still it's been together fo 9 to 10 years.If it quits on me next year i can't bitch it's worked good up to this point.I would have thought about a C-6 but they're tight in a Fox Body with a 460.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  342g December 14th 2010, 2:34 pm

richter69 wrote:
bruno wrote:
badnotch wrote:
3070 lbs with driver
10.64 @ 126.79 1/4
6.72 @ 102.54 1/8

its remarks like that , that will get you the boot ....... this forum will no longer tolerate this kind of sarcasism ...who's next !

I usually don't throw the first punch, but in this case I did with the bolt hole remark..............my bad........... Laughing

Trouble maker, see how you are? Twisted Evil Laughing cheers
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stang93mustang January 2nd 2011, 2:58 pm

A 400 will be just fine if you want to use one. You can adapt two ways. New bell housing or they make adapter plates from several manufactures. I use an adapter plate and have not had any problems in 5 years.

400 is stronger than a c4 lighter than a c6 which requires less HP to turn plus have a 1 to 1 final gear over a c6. 400 gives you a third gear vs. a glide. I'm getting ready to install a JW VB/ TB and should really make a difference in everything. I've talked to several trans shops, JW, Hughs, TCI......400 is the best if you want a 3 speed. C4 and C6 of course will also do the job but at a hell of a cost for the C4 to handle the power and a fraction of the weight over and HP drain from the C6.

my car is a pump gas car, weighs 3115 with me, gutted DOVE heads with a best so far of 10.18 @ 131, NA. I will hit single digit first outting of 2011 with the new TB on the motor set up.

Our hobby is not cheap but do what works best for you. You will get plenty of yes's or no's......lots of haters too if your running strong!

Last edited by stang93mustang on January 2nd 2011, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
stang93mustang
stang93mustang

https://www.youtube.com/user/stang93mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 January 2nd 2011, 3:05 pm

stang93mustang wrote:...plus have a 1 to 1 final gear over a c6.

On what planet? Question Better do some more reading...

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/gear_ratios.asp

DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  stang93mustang January 2nd 2011, 3:17 pm

DFI429 wrote:
stang93mustang wrote:...plus have a 1 to 1 final gear over a c6.

On what planet? Question Better do some more reading...

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/gear_ratios.asp

Okay sorry wrong on that quote but everthing else is 100% correct! Like I said as I just edited my original post as you posted. My combo runs really well and I get plenty of haters because of the simple things that I use. Not saying I have the fastest car but I know I got a good runner no question about it!
stang93mustang
stang93mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 January 2nd 2011, 3:44 pm

stang93mustang wrote:Okay sorry wrong on that quote but everthing else is 100% correct!

Your post didn't add anything to the thread other than a false statement. Everything else you said has already been discussed...and I wouldn't call it "100% correct". I'm not a "hater"...you're just sounding like the cheering section in the GM bleachers.
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  stang93mustang January 2nd 2011, 3:54 pm

lol....that is funny. Not cheering for the GM section but using parts that work well is what I'm about. Yes what I said has been said just putting my 2% in with agreeing. Nothing wrong with it.
stang93mustang
stang93mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 2nd 2011, 5:10 pm

Its really not that bigga deal guy's Rolling Eyes Most of us are hard headed Ford die hards. But some of us are smart enough to have open minds that overcome our hard headedness. To be honest,I would probably never would have switched from a C6 to a glide if LiL Tweety had'nt already had it in it when I got the car. I still love the C6 but, I would'nt switch back w/my car and combo. To each his own,we're all here for the same reason. Carryon Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 2nd 2011, 6:25 pm

72mav wrote:And you wont blow a C6 like a 400 either. The Glide and BBF was a match made in HEAVEN. The 400 is a good trans dont get me wrong. But it has its limits. They are great for a small-block/street setup. But with the BBF torque you dont need the 3rd gear.

Ask Frank Merkel about the 400's. He will tell ya about them. He dont beleive in the Glides though. Mainly because its a GM trans. And hes strictly a FORD guy. Very Happy

ive seen guys switch to a glide,and slow down,both ford and chevy guys,theres a reason for 3 or more gears
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 2nd 2011, 7:10 pm

it seems anymore a guy just needs to work on his own program and let the ones who don't wanna listen spend the the time and effort to figure it out on their own............in other words do what you want because I could care less as it does not effect me.............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 2nd 2011, 9:15 pm

Funny how this auto 2sp vs 3sp thing never ends. There is no 100% correct answer for every combo.

It's just a simple question of how much usable "at launch" power/torque your combo has to work with vs how much overall 1st gear ratio leverage your combo needs to launch as efficiently as possible with said working power numbers.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 3rd 2011, 12:53 am

How about an Allison 1000 or a Chrysler 727? hehe

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 3rd 2011, 10:48 am

stang93mustang wrote:A 400 will be just fine if you want to use one. You can adapt two ways. New bell housing or they make adapter plates from several manufactures. I use an adapter plate and have not had any problems in 5 years.

400 is stronger than a c4 lighter than a c6 which requires less HP to turn plus have a 1 to 1 final gear over a c6. 400 gives you a third gear vs. a glide. I'm getting ready to install a JW VB/ TB and should really make a difference in everything. I've talked to several trans shops, JW, Hughs, TCI......400 is the best if you want a 3 speed. C4 and C6 of course will also do the job but at a hell of a cost for the C4 to handle the power and a fraction of the weight over and HP drain from the C6.

my car is a pump gas car, weighs 3115 with me, gutted DOVE heads with a best so far of 10.18 @ 131, NA. I will hit single digit first outting of 2011 with the new TB on the motor set up.

Our hobby is not cheap but do what works best for you. You will get plenty of yes's or no's......lots of haters too if your running strong!

Have you ever weighed a 400 turbo and a c-6? Sock to stock they are the same weight and the 400 is heavier than a C-6 when you cut the bell of and add the J&W bell back to it.(About 5lbs different) Its your dime you spend it how you want , but don't come on here blowing smoke up peoples A$$ about how much better a 400 is and ,cheaper to build than a c-6. I will put one of my C-4 trans against your 400 any day! Cool

Also I don,t see your 400 holding 3000 hp like a glide! affraid
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 January 3rd 2011, 11:11 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Funny how this auto 2sp vs 3sp thing never ends. There is no 100% correct answer for every combo.

It's just a simple question of how much usable "at launch" power/torque your combo has to work with vs how much overall 1st gear ratio leverage your combo needs to launch as efficiently as possible with said working power numbers.

Absolutely! There's the camp that knows what works, and gives such advice when asked.. And there's those who come on the forums parading that their one combo is "the best" and there is no other way to go Rolling Eyes

Mindset example: Yesterday I was informed via PM that because someone assumed his car was faster than mine that I shouldn't voice my opinion contrary to his. Nevermind his not knowing anything about me or what I've done or had experience with. Rolling Eyes

Jackass Evil or Very Mad
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 4th 2011, 12:21 am

Just Came in from the shop and while I was out I decided to weight a race prepped c-6 with a 9 in converter, and trans mount. the weight of this set up dry is 173lbs
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

DO ya think a turbo 400 would have to have a lot of work done?? - Page 4 Empty I'm perplexed

Post  JT557 January 13th 2011, 12:26 pm

I've been looking at this topic i posted 3 weeks ago or so ,94 posts, took me an hour just to read all this, OK, look , I have a c4 in my garadge right now,soo f*cked up over what to build behind my 557cu that i'm putting it off right now freezing everything untill either someone can prove this c4 will not hold 1,000 horsepower, if this c4 can hold it , maybe i'll try it just because it's a ford trans and with a new sfi bell it will bolt right in with stock cross mem. (less hastle)
besides, this forum is supposed to be here to help a brother out not to bost about , my sh*t is better than yours , look I aint got sh*t yet till you guy's help me out in this critical decision,( your all part of my master mind group) the glide is out of the equation, don't want it,don't like it, so that's my final answer, so now it's back to the c6 which i so far can see it takes more HP. to operate , the c4 still in question over if it will handle 850 HP + 250 shot of nitros later ??? the math say's 1,100 HP if built rite will it handle that??? now the c4 needs less HP to operate if I'm correct, which means that The motor will have less drag on it to rev quicker, so thats the resoning I got the c4 , now i have a 400 turbo chebby, for $100 that means i have both , so do i build the c4 or do i build the 400 or do i find a c6 have all three and build them all,then find out which one's the best ( about $5,000 later cause you're all arguing ) waste my hard earned cash or can i find a logical reply or answer that will make sence for this application, I'm not trying to be a D*ck just tryin to find inteligent logical edgucated facts, most of you have been there I have'nt! I've got alot still ahead of me with my chassis and all the rest of my project, the decision on the trans and the heads I think are the most critical. rotational transfiguration is critical also,( not to mention the 9in you all have helped me choose) now I'm in criostasis with this trans delema I know , it's my final decision what goes in it
(sure a lenco would be the best choise IMO) But this is suppose to be a slite buddget build, cost effectiveness is what i think we all look for, also optimisim is also needed in this situation, not chevy or ford, Your all inteligent people and i'm just getting back into the game, I do want to have fun in this car and pull good no#'s But longevity is an important comodity, I don't want to have to pull the trans after every race and rebuild it . also to comment more on the c4 I think the gear ratio is better than the turbo 400 .... so think about it can someone build a c4 that could handle the thrashing , OR should i build the sh*t out of the turbo 400 and run it ????????????????????????? study study scratch scratch
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2011, 12:31 pm

Have you considered a PG? at "1100hp" you probably need to calm down the launch...........provided you have everyting working correctly......

At 1100hp their is no such thing as "Cheap" parts that are going to last in any transmission....... @ 3000# + weight......

C4 can do it, but isn't going to be a "Cheap" rebuild, a th400 can do it, but again will need some money put into it for good parts, Stock it ain't going to live and finaly a C6 is a do it also.........

So pick your poison and move on..........

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss January 13th 2011, 1:11 pm

I agree with Dave 100%. You asked for advice and a lot of people have chimed in. Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink so at this point you just need to make your choice based on whatever criteria is most important to you. Pretty sure the C4 is gonna break at that hp level just from what I have seen. Frank Merkls C6's live and dont have a lot of drag. Up to you now dood.

Good luck with your build and have fun. Thats the number one thing.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 13th 2011, 3:15 pm

At the end of the day it is your money and your ride! A lot of guy's on here have give you some good info.

Sure a c-4 will live if you want to rebuild it about every 50 to 100 passes.
The price of a rebuilt transmission isn't always the most expensive is better. With that said !

The C-4 is lighter than a c-6 or glide and takes less hp , but to get a high torque race care to launch smoothly. You are going to have to do some home work on your rear gear ratio to get the correct one ,suspension and torque converter for the car to work smoothly and consistent. One of the problem with the c-4 is that it is so small and keeping it cool is a big problem.

The C-6 when rollerized and a good valve body will handle your hp and tq. and they only weight with converter and mount 173lbs. Not to much more than a glide!

A glide has been the ultimate racing transmission for Ford Gm and mopar for years.
I to am a all ford guy and you can look at it the way some of the other people look at it that it has nothing gm in it . Or you can look at it like it started life as a gm product or manufactured and used by gm .

How long a transmission last or how good a transmission is a lot of times depends on a lot of variables . To give you a few we will start with the builder, installer, user , intended use , abuse , track only or street strip, weight of vehicle , size of stall or converter, size of cooler and lines as well as mounting and routing of cooler and lines. Cleanliness also is very important a long with quality of parts and paying close attention to clutch pack clearance, input and out put Shaft clearance and band adjustment. I hope this helps , after all is said and done its still your project and your decision.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  JT557 January 13th 2011, 3:54 pm

whitefield wrote: At the end of the day it is your money and your ride! A lot of guy's on here have give you some good info.

Sure a c-4 will live if you want to rebuild it about every 50 to 100 passes.
The price of a rebuilt transmission isn't always the most expensive is better. With that said !

The C-4 is lighter than a c-6 or glide and takes less hp , but to get a high torque race care to launch smoothly. You are going to have to do some home work on your rear gear ratio to get the correct one ,suspension and torque converter for the car to work smoothly and consistent. One of the problem with the c-4 is that it is so small and keeping it cool is a big problem.

The C-6 when rollerized and a good valve body will handle your hp and tq. and they only weight with converter and mount 173lbs. Not to much more than a glide!

A glide has been the ultimate racing transmission for Ford Gm and mopar for years.
I to am a all ford guy and you can look at it the way some of the other people look at it that it has nothing gm in it . Or you can look at it like it started life as a gm product or manufactured and used by gm .

How long a transmission last or how good a transmission is a lot of times depends on a lot of variables . To give you a few we will start with the builder, installer, user , intended use , abuse , track only or street strip, weight of vehicle , size of stall or converter, size of cooler and lines as well as mounting and routing of cooler and lines. Cleanliness also is very important a long with quality of parts and paying close attention to clutch pack clearance, input and out put Shaft clearance and band adjustment. I hope this helps , after all is said and done its still your project and your decision.
Now see this is the type of comment's I 'm looking for . Now I'm in the edgucated zone of racing , see you brought up somthing i did'nt know ,the cooling problems of the c4, now we can go somewhere else with this, have you found a good way to keep them cooler or have you thought of a way that might work??? now i don't know if it's a rule to have an external trans cooler with fan but , Is that an option ?? and moving to the turbo, reguardless if it's chebby or ford, not predjudice of neither , recovering chevy addict,(LOL) but what other problems have you seen with the 400 turbo besides It's a gm product, ?? also back to the c4, 50 to 100 passes is'nt to bad concidering it will be a trailer queen, racing is'nt my full time job , so taking that into concideration, ahhh does'nt seem to bad that would be like 1 season just having fun , and feeling it all out , what's your take ?? Question .... now off to do some homework and figuring ,I have been lookin at my summit mag comparing pricing on both transmissions and looks pretty good on both side's, verry close in price but still the durrability, factor arises, But somthin keeps pullin me twards that c4, even though i know in the back of my mind that the turbo would outlast the c4... hey" one more question , In comparison between the c6 and the turbo 400 which one takes less HP to run ??? Question Question
JT557
JT557

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next