BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok so a C4 it is....

+10
DILLIGASDAVE
cool40
IDT-572
colormebad
Mark Miller
whitefield
72mav
342g
richter69
frank13
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ok so a C4 it is.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ok so a C4 it is....

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 13th 2011, 5:30 am

colormebad wrote:Thats all you do is stay drunk' so shut the flock up...NOW let the c4 topic begin.... Cool
I think you are mistaken, a few beers isn't going to get anyone around here drunk Rolling Eyes . Oh and "flock" isn't the correct spelling, drunk or not. Nick won't care if you spell it correctly. Razz

In a "drag-only" combo a C-4 (or 3 speed) can be perfectly fine in a lot of lower torque number car combos (small blocks & stockish big blocks) where the C-4's increased overall 1st gear ratio leverage (1st gear ratio & rear gear ratio combined) over a 2 speed can be a benift to help launch the lower torque number combo more effeciently, especially if the converter has decent torque multiplication numbers.

But the 'glide (or 2 speed) can become a benefit over the C-4 if a drag car's engine combo reaches a point where it's "at launch" torque numbers get big enough to where the C-4's increased overall 1st gear ratio leverage makes the car launch much too violent causing assorted launch problems that might be hard (or impossible) to adjust out. In this situation the problem can be further aggravated with a 3 speed if the big torque combo has an efficient converter with real good torque multiplication numbers, further increasing the violent smack the slick's sidewalls & contact patch have to deal with. Going to bigger slicks trying to help calm an over violent 3 speed "hit" can sometimes be a usuable option insted of switching to the 2 speed, it just depends on the combo.

In a street driven combo to achieve the best possible compromise between good off idle "umph" leverage & good highway speeds, a 3 speed is probably the best choice (if excluding the OD stuff) since it's increased first gear ratio allows you to use less rear gear ratio. The same can't be said with a 2 speed on the street.

It's not a Ford vs chebby thing, it's all about what works best for a given car's "overall" working combo (car's intended use, the torque/power numbers, weight, wheel base, slick size, & the chassis's "adjustment window" size). There is no 100% correct answer. Some combos the 3 speed works best, & some combos the 2 speed works best.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun mudbug January 13th 2011, 9:30 am

wild pony wrote:
Cajun mudbug wrote:
wild pony wrote:
colormebad wrote:Hey' here is my old coupe running a C4 i built...Still has a stock forward drum...4+5 clutch setup...hardened inputshaft/transbrake/billet servo cover...AND CAST STATOR RINGS!!!!! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOpquxIb-ow

car looked good leaving the line . what track was that at?

Looks like Holley Springs Mississippi to me.

well shas looks like we be gettin us a smart butt on our hands, I mean't what was the track name not location.

Hold up there old timer,Holly Springs is the name of the dragstrip.Don't be calling ME a smart butt.Might wanna check them lenses.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cajun mudbug
Cajun mudbug

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2011, 10:18 am

Cajun mudbug wrote:
wild pony wrote:
Cajun mudbug wrote:
wild pony wrote:
colormebad wrote:Hey' here is my old coupe running a C4 i built...Still has a stock forward drum...4+5 clutch setup...hardened inputshaft/transbrake/billet servo cover...AND CAST STATOR RINGS!!!!! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOpquxIb-ow

car looked good leaving the line . what track was that at?

Looks like Holley Springs Mississippi to me.

well shas looks like we be gettin us a smart butt on our hands, I mean't what was the track name not location.

Hold up there old timer,Holly Springs is the name of the dragstrip.Don't be calling ME a smart butt.Might wanna check them lenses.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Easy there Mud Bug, that's an old man your talking to. You mat get him upset and make him soil his depends........ Shocked
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 11:05 am

Thats what it is called...Holley Springs Dragway....Im not sure what the car is running anymore' i wasn't there when the guy that owns it now made a pass...He had N/T on the car.... And the (violent smack) is no longer a problem also with the higher low gear from dynamic...Problem Solved! Thats what i installed in my own...I dont down any brand...Chevy/Ford/Mopar....My C4's i build handle the power and i stick with them...Im just an all ford guy...If i were left to choose between in running a powerglide & a C6...Even though the C6 is heavier' I would run the C6....Shoot! I would even try a FMX... Very Happy

Here is another item below that will also help the little C4 walk taller at higher rpms and make the clutches last longer...

http://www.lyonsperformance.com/direct-drum-p-573.html

And another item i found here cheaper than other places...The Steel Billet Forward Drum....
Ok so a C4 it is.... - Page 2 PA_SteelBilletDrum
Performance Automatic announces the release of their new solid steel billet forward clutch drum for C4 Transmissions. Designed from a clean sheet of paper, this drum features hardened input splines, surrounded by a solid reinforced hub. This area can be a major failure point or high horsepower, heavy bodied cars. A roller bearing replaces the standard washer for added longevity. Designed to fit 1970 and later C4 Transmissions, this C4 drum (Part no. PA26479) is in stock and ready for this race season.

$283.59

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 2:00 pm

Looks like a bunch of aftermarket stuff with the drums and all. The whole "all Ford" comments are retarded anyway.

There is not one single factory Ford part in my BB Ford engine...............lol.Only paret in the entire rear suspension is the housing.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 2:51 pm

Yeah but i can say i have a C4 im my ride' which is made for a FORD...You have to say i have a PowerGlide in yours' which is made for a CHEVY!!!! Its all about the TRUE BLUE FORD....You Just Dont Get It.... Mad

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2011, 2:54 pm

colormebad wrote:Yeah but i can say i have a C4 im my ride' which is made for a FORD...You have to say i have a PowerGlide in yours' which is made for a CHEVY!!!! Its all about the TRUE BLUE FORD....You Just Dont Get It.... Mad

Your the one that doesn't get it, its about function and the correct application of the parts, who gives a Sheet where the origional transmission design came from.......... if it works its good !!!!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 3:01 pm

Cause if i wanted to use chevy parts ' i would have built a chevy.....Its simple! I dont crossbreed....My cars run fast with a C4' but i guess other people like trickster just dont know all the tricks' of the C4.... Laughing

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2011, 3:09 pm

Jon

Maybe he can use your car as an advertisement for c/4's if it will stand up to 820 ft lb. and 3000 lb. car, and last all season, he will sell the shit out of them. Twisted Evil (using all three gears)

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 3:34 pm

My 95 still weighs more than that...And with more tq...I will just show up at a few events just to back the little C4... Very Happy

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2011, 3:39 pm

colormebad wrote:My 95 still weighs more than that...And with more tq...I will just show up at a few events just to back the little C4... Very Happy

Over 820 on torque................ nice engine Cool Keeping third gear in one on the 2-3 shift with over 800 ft lb's torque, you have my admiration sir............... you are a c/4 guru.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield January 13th 2011, 3:47 pm

Was that your car in the video and did it have one of your C-4s in it? Also are you the guy off of yellow bullit that builds the c-4s with the cast iron sealing rings?

I love the c-4 too but it has its limitations. If I ever have enough hp that the c-4 can't handle I would run the C-6. The glide would be my last option! These are my views and opinions of what I like!

I understand that stock to stock none of Gm's transmissions are stronger than their Ford Counter parts.
The Gm guys started up grading the Pg and the ford guys started adapting them to their Ford race cars and as much as I hate it and would love to change it . Thats Just the way it is !

whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 3:51 pm

Here is the little 438 thats gona be in front of the little C4...This a short clip' when i first started it after i got it sit in the car....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5wfoXHEYk

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 3:54 pm

Yeah the ring deal is just a good prank...But the cast ring will still seal better IMO...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 6:44 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Jon

Maybe he can use your car as an advertisement for c/4's if it will stand up to 820 ft lb. and 3000 lb. car, and last all season, he will sell the shit out of them. Twisted Evil (using all three gears)

It'll make over 820 as soon as I get after the bitch............I think that dyno I went and owned had a C4 in it..............

The cast sealing rings will work when your into it all the time and can keep an eye on the wear............. Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 6:45 pm

colormebad wrote:My 95 still weighs more than that...And with more tq...I will just show up at a few events just to back the little C4... Very Happy

.............and holds a set of jackstands down nice as well................. Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 7:05 pm

Shoot! Here is my old coupe back in 2000 running my own built c4...A freind that owns a EXP with a bigblock and my built C4...Another friend with a bigblock in the black stang with another one of my C4's...These badboys were doing it with my built c4's even way back then....

Ok so a C4 it is.... - Page 2 Billyscoupeatfulton
Ok so a C4 it is.... - Page 2 DeenerodgersEXP
Ok so a C4 it is.... - Page 2 Tonysblackstang

Just think about what they are doing now.... Basketball

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 7:22 pm

The C4 I built 10 years ago went 6 years behind my 10.00 bracket car at 3350#s, looked new inside when i opened it as I was curious. I upgraded some stuff and it worked good with the 472 running mid 9's for a whole season, same tranny went behind my stroker motor and ran flawless at low 9's for 2 seasons. I snapped a int band in it at a race in Tulsa (flex band ear popped off) I poked a quickie band in it and finished the day. I never destroyed the little tranny, this was with a 300m input, brazed forward drum, 3 pinion forward planet (rollerized), a bunch of lightned parts, deep pan yada yada yada.....oh, it had teflon sealing rings in it too......... Wink

After the band issue I took it down and replaced it with a red lined rigid band. The direct clutches were starting to haze but were still holding. I replaced them and put it all back together after getting it back in I was still fighting the traction issues I had been having ever since the stroker deal went in. Instead of redoing the whole car I bit the bullet and went 2 speed...............wow wouldnt you know it the car picked up 2 whole tenths and 3mph in the 1/8th........................nothing else changed!

Whole point of this story is I'm pretty sure I can put a C4 together that will hang with yours, but there aint no sense in putting effort into something that will make the damn car slower in the first place. .......... Razz

I might add this same C4 now lives in our low 10 sec smallblock bracket car, i figure it will be good for at least 10 years of service, no worries about the cast rings wearing into the parts. This unit started life as a JPT that was purchased by a friend of mine back in like 91, it lasted approx 20 passes in a BBF powered datsun 280Z, 2800#'s, ran a ron's toliet. ran 10.20's or so. after it died I bought it and have been running it ever since.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 7:31 pm

Everyone i know has slowed down after switching to a powerglide' we had to change them back to the C4...Maby good for you in the 1/4 ' but all the grudge racers i know race the 1/8....Maby thats the differance for you and the people you know...With a higher low gear in the C4 ' we have no traction problems at all. Doesnt blow the tires like the C4's use to also... Smile

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 7:36 pm

you should read all of what I wrote..............my shit picked up that much in the 1/8th.

if the glide slowed you down the power curve was short and/or the converter was off. You get the converter off with a 3 speed it aint that big of a deal, get it off with a glide your gonna know it.

and fwiw, best 60' I had with the C4 was a 1.31,............. glide.............1.26. I'm sure in N/T power-adder grudgecar land that aint spectacular, but for my n/a homebuilt junk it aint bad.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad January 13th 2011, 7:45 pm

Well im done with this topic...I will stick to what i know & what works for me and the people i build for...C4 It Is.....Later Very Happy

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 7:52 pm

Same here.................. Very Happy

I got a 4 speed auto (4r100) out of a buddy's truck here for a freshen up.............its behind a 600rwhp 1200+rwtq 7.3 (fuel only)...............truck is 8800#'s. I built this for him like 4 years ago, its been sled pulling, drag racing, heavy towing, and corvette hunting the whole time, some 85,000 miles...............all built with Ford stuff (teflon sealing rings also)............ Razz If you wanna build him a C4 to test out I'm sure he would be game................ Idea cheers
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2011, 7:59 pm

last thought on this subject, the racecar tranny threads aint got shit on the pissin contests they turn into on the diesel forums...............even a good procomp thread couldnt hold a candle to one of them lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  wild pony January 13th 2011, 8:43 pm

colormebad wrote:Well im done with this topic...I will stick to what i know & what works for me and the people i build for...C4 It Is.....Later Very Happy

hey man keep up the good work , atleast your not running a chevy tranny and that all that matters in my book afro
wild pony
wild pony

Back to top Go down

Post  342g January 14th 2011, 12:02 am

wild pony wrote:
colormebad wrote:Well im done with this topic...I will stick to what i know & what works for me and the people i build for...C4 It Is.....Later Very Happy

hey man keep up the good work , atleast your not running a chevy tranny and that all that matters in my book afro

hEY WILD PONY, YOU SURE ARE A OLD FUCK. Laughing Twisted Evil
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum