BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K Member Opinion

+7
WIKDLX
GTmustang
BigBlockRanger
studly
frank13
Doug Rahn
R_Williams
11 posters

Go down

K Member Opinion Empty K Member Opinion

Post  R_Williams December 15th 2010, 2:20 pm

Just wondering what tubular K Members you guys are running on your 87-93 Mustangs and what your opinions are and what issues (steering, oil pan, header, and motor mount clearances) youve had with them. I believe Im gonna go with one on mine to cut back on the weight on the front of the car from this 460.

Thanks
R_Williams
R_Williams

Back to top Go down

K Member Opinion Empty Re: K Member Opinion

Post  Doug Rahn December 15th 2010, 7:25 pm

I really like the AJE I have with the dropped rack & pinion which allowed me to lower the engine further between the frame rails. There where no issues at all with fitment.

Bruno just posted about a neat 3 piece K member that has a removable center section that would allow you to drop the oil pan without pulling the engine, but I do have one concern about it. When you remove the center section will the front coil-over springs push it inward and make it difficult to reinstall it or even bend something?
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 15th 2010, 7:28 pm

i am using the granatelli k member with maximum motorsports everything else.....no fit issues at all
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  R_Williams December 15th 2010, 8:11 pm

Yeah Ive heard alot of good things about the AJE stuff. what about motor mounts? I would like to keep from using a solid mount so I wont feel all the vibration though out the car since its gonna be predominantly street driven........ Do they make these mounts for BBFs and these K Members? What would be the best set of 2" headers to use without any issues for a SCJ head?
R_Williams
R_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn December 23rd 2010, 5:22 am

R_Williams wrote:Yeah Ive heard alot of good things about the AJE stuff. what about motor mounts? I would like to keep from using a solid mount so I wont feel all the vibration though out the car since its gonna be predominantly street driven........ Do they make these mounts for BBFs and these K Members? What would be the best set of 2" headers to use without any issues for a SCJ head?

Yes they had one with BBF mounts. As far as headers go, the best fitting are the ones you make yourself or take to a custom shop and have made to fit the car.
If I had my fixture built I could make you a set based on dimensions supplied by you, but sadly I have yet to get this deal off the ground yet Sad .
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  studly December 23rd 2010, 9:26 am

D&D makes a nice set of custom headers for a fox body mustang i have a set and they fit very good
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger December 23rd 2010, 9:37 am

I have a QA1. Some have said they have poor clearance for headers, but I did not have any issues putting mine together. I did put K-member spacers in it though.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

K Member Opinion Empty Question for Doug Rahn

Post  GTmustang January 22nd 2011, 8:14 am

Doug Rahn: Are you using the AJE mounts or an engine plate? Do you have any pictures showing the rack positioning?
Gary

Last edited by GTmustang on January 22nd 2011, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  studly January 22nd 2011, 1:49 pm

engine plate on mine cut the motor mounts off just to make header install easier
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  WIKDLX February 10th 2011, 11:35 am

Racecraft Inc with a pinto rack Smile

WIKDLX

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt February 10th 2011, 3:32 pm

Finaly something I can give some info on. From all I have seen and been around here is some thoughts for you.
QA1 is a good inexpensive setup with spring perches to run factory a-arms. They tend to set the wheels about a 1in or so foward on the sn-95's. Not quite sure on the fox body. They also require some mods if using factory stuff.

UPR is another good one. No spring perches but you can buy them seperate [QA1] for like $26. It's chromemoly vs mild steel like the QA1.

AJE is great, but you will have to buy their mounts, and everything else to get it to work. IT just adds up if you are on a budget. They run universal mounts to bolt any motor in your car.

D&D headders are good. I have a set. The only complaint I have is they are right under my c6 pan. Oh well making sure clear the factory k-member has its downs.

Dynatech just released a set of 2 1/8 headders for our cars to work with the AJE and the UPR. It keeps the collector from being under the trans pan.

I am going to either get the UPR or the QA1 because I just need the k-member for mine. I have a complete 93 fox setup in my 03. Works great so I am not buying more than I need right now... hope this helps.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 13th 2011, 12:13 am

GTmustang wrote:Doug Rahn: Are you using the AJE mounts or an engine plate? Do you have any pictures showing the rack positioning?
Gary

Plate, ordered it without mounts.

K Member Opinion DSCF0043
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang February 13th 2011, 9:32 am

Doug Rahn wrote:
GTmustang wrote:Doug Rahn: Are you using the AJE mounts or an engine plate? Do you have any pictures showing the rack positioning?
Gary

Plate, ordered it without mounts.

K Member Opinion DSCF0043

Very nice Doug, your car looks top shelf all the way. There are some pro shops that don't do work as nice as you do!
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney February 13th 2011, 2:13 pm

I have a PA on my car. fits great, does what its supposed to do.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  morrisracing February 13th 2011, 9:18 pm

X2 for the pa. Mine has the 1-1/2 drop option. No issues with anything.
morrisracing
morrisracing

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang February 13th 2011, 10:24 pm

morrisracing wrote:X2 for the pa. Mine has the 1-1/2 drop option. No issues with anything.
X3 for a PA. Mine also has 1 1/2" drop, I wish I would have known and ordered it with a Pinto rack! I've got issues
between the rack and my oil pan. How did yours fit? You running mounts or engine plate?
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  morrisracing February 13th 2011, 10:53 pm

GTmustang wrote:
morrisracing wrote:X2 for the pa. Mine has the 1-1/2 drop option. No issues with anything.
X3 for a PA. Mine also has 1 1/2" drop, I wish I would have known and ordered it with a Pinto rack! I've got issues
between the rack and my oil pan. How did yours fit? You running mounts or engine plate?
Gary

Im running motor plates, so I could move it pretty much where I wanted, to alleviate any problems.
morrisracing
morrisracing

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang February 14th 2011, 8:49 am

morrisracing wrote:I'm running motor plates, so I could move it pretty much where I wanted, to alleviate any problems.
Morrisracing: I don't want to hijack the post, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would like to see pictures of your setup if you have any! I'm going to be pulling the engine out soon and am considering going back in with motor plates, but I'm a little worried about opening a "can of worms" by going that way! Pictures would be helpful in seeing how low your engine sits in relation to the rack and how close it is to the radiator and firewall.
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  morrisracing February 14th 2011, 9:37 am

GTmustang wrote:
morrisracing wrote:I'm running motor plates, so I could move it pretty much where I wanted, to alleviate any problems.
Morrisracing: I don't want to hijack the post, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would like to see pictures of your setup if you have any! I'm going to be pulling the engine out soon and am considering going back in with motor plates, but I'm a little worried about opening a "can of worms" by going that way! Pictures would be helpful in seeing how low your engine sits in relation to the rack and how close it is to the radiator and firewall.
Gary

I will try to get some pictures this afternoon.

Here are some pics. Hope it is what you are looking for. Keep in mind im not a photographer Laughing
If you need anything else, or a different angle, let me know.

William

K Member Opinion DSC_0282
K Member Opinion DSC_0288
K Member Opinion DSC_0292
K Member Opinion DSC_0289
K Member Opinion DSC_0295
K Member Opinion DSC_0299
K Member Opinion Test021-2
morrisracing
morrisracing

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 15th 2011, 4:43 pm

Nice looking setup. Are those front roll cage bars in the way of working on the engine? Thinking of doing mine like that but was curious if it would hinder reaching down to change the plugs, install the header bolts, etc...

Thanks.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  morrisracing February 15th 2011, 6:25 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Nice looking setup. Are those front roll cage bars in the way of working on the engine? Thinking of doing mine like that but was curious if it would hinder reaching down to change the plugs, install the header bolts, etc...

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment. The bars dont get in the way at all. Almost half of the front bar is inside the strut tower. Ive changed plugs, re-torqued heads, and even removed the heads with no problem.

William
morrisracing
morrisracing

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 15th 2011, 6:40 pm

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content