BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got my 15 seconds of fame

+14
hillbillyerv
Tony M
billandlori
Frank Merkl
patfromjersey
KY JELLY
cletus66
plowboy34
bruno
valleydawg
72mav
cool40
'65 T-BOLT
schmitty
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got my 15 seconds of fame Empty I got my 15 seconds of fame

Post  schmitty March 5th 2011, 11:59 pm

Had the local TV station come and do a segment on my wife's family and me about our farming operation. Hope this link works. Wink
http://www.nebraska.tv/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=5630455&h1=Farming%20Family%3A%20Busy%20B%20Ranch&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=184200&LaunchPageAdTag=Promotion 30&activePane=info&rnd=39476406
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

I got my 15 seconds of fame Empty Re: I got my 15 seconds of fame

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 6th 2011, 12:07 am

link worked! cool segment!...Thanks Rob and to all the farmers out there!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 6th 2011, 12:44 am

thats cool schmitty! i was a farm boy too but it got to the point in the mid to late 80's we just hung it up once we broke even.i was about 20 then and did'nt think i'd ever miss it.sometimes in the late fall when i smell the cotton it makes me feal a little sad that i cant bring my kids up in that kind of lifestyle.i did'nt know it at the time but i do now,farming is a way of life most dont get to enjoy.it's something you have to love cuz it's not for the money,most of the time.one bad year can make you work the next 2 or 3 years for nothen.thanks for sharen schmitty Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 6th 2011, 1:25 am

I've worker dairy farms, horse farms, never realy any ag!...unless you count hay!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav March 6th 2011, 1:31 am

Cool Cool
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg March 6th 2011, 8:14 am

Feeding the world...sweet and a big thanks!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 6th 2011, 9:31 am

cheers

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 March 6th 2011, 9:40 am

Very cool Schmitty, I still don't understand them red tractors though....tractors are green man....lol. Just kidding, I have run both and have no problem with either. Only reason I run green is I like the color green and never did care for red. But as far as the tractor doing there job I think they both do a darn good job for what a person puts them through.

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 6th 2011, 10:36 am

That brings back memories. My grandparents had a 400 acre farm in PA. They didn't farm it though, they rented out the land to a farmer and used it for hunting in the winter. It was cool to ride my dirt bike all over the place as a kid. Now my Dad has about 20 acres, and my aunt has the rest. I imagine some day it will be a subdivision.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY March 6th 2011, 10:44 am

That's awesome Schmitty. My "5 seconds of fame" on the local news was kinda the same way , my grandad and I were on a little cut about our pumpkins .

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a farming environment , but just hobby farming compared to what you guys do. We basically just grew, canned / put up our own produce , killed our own hogs etc.

Things sure have changed , but its very handy to know how to survive off the land for sure. My brother and I are left with the family farm and I have always wanted to grow and sell produce don't know if it will ever happen though Very Happy
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey March 6th 2011, 10:47 am

Nice clip Schmitty! I did a TDY while in the Air Force in Gordon, NE (a little Northwest of you), and one of the local girl's father had a huge cattle ranch outside town. That's a hard working lifestyle, and she told me all about each of their chores to help the family. Their last name was Sasse, so maybe you heard of their ranch. I never got to see it, because I wasn't suppose to be dating his daughter. LOL Thanks for all the hard work your family does for America! Cool
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 6th 2011, 10:53 am

plowboy34 wrote:Very cool Schmitty, I still don't understand them red tractors though....tractors are green man....lol. Just kidding, I have run both and have no problem with either. Only reason I run green is I like the color green and never did care for red. But as far as the tractor doing there job I think they both do a darn good job for what a person puts them through.

I guess it is what you grow up with. LOL I have been farming for over 35 years of my life, and I'm only 40. My dad was a farmer until the 80's took him out with a bad chain of events and we moved 150 miles west to where I live now. I was about 15 when we moved. I helped a local farmer during high school, and helped another with a large hay business. My dad moved to the town where we live now, with maybe $100 in his pocket, and got a house with the help of mom's uncle. He got a job with the local Case implement store as a service manager and moved into sales. He was top salesman in the nation in a couple years and again the next year. This was a company store owned by Case, and they decided that they wanted to sell it. I was in college at the time getting a degree in electrical tech, and he approached me about buying the dealership. We talked it over for several weeks, and decided not to do it, for several reasons. A month or so later, he called and said he was going to start a dealership for center pivots. In the meantime, I started dating a lady that was friends with my sister. It all went downhill from there. Laughing We never know why the Good Lord does what he does, but in hind sight, I see some of the plan now. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 6th 2011, 10:55 am

patfromjersey wrote:Nice clip Schmitty! I did a TDY while in the Air Force in Gordon, NE (a little Northwest of you), and one of the local girl's father had a huge cattle ranch outside town. That's a hard working lifestyle, and she told me all about each of their chores to help the family. Their last name was Sasse, so maybe you heard of their ranch. I never got to see it, because I wasn't suppose to be dating his daughter. LOL Thanks for all the hard work your family does for America! Cool

Gordon is probably over 250 miles away from here Pat. I do know where it is, because the guy I worked for as an electrician grew up there. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl March 6th 2011, 11:25 am

nice one Schmitty ,and now I can put a face to the voice on the phone!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 6th 2011, 12:35 pm

Very cool Schmitty!! I grew up on a farm too, I could never understand these city kids wanting to go back to school!! There was too much to do on the farm.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony M March 6th 2011, 1:31 pm

Nice article. Good Job Schmitty ! Cool

The tractors look like you neeed a MBA in mechanical engineering just to operate them.
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 6th 2011, 9:22 pm

You need to have a lot more eduction in electronics and computers now than in the past. I was amazed at how well my father in law has taken to operating the monitors. He is 64 and was the one who came to me and asked if we should go in that direction. I said that if we didn't we were going to be so far behind that we would never catch up. We have tractors that drive themselves, combines that tell you exact yield data on the fly, and a sprayer that has more computer power than the first moon missions. I will probably put auto steer on the spray rig pretty soon too. The price of the electronics is out of sight, but it is well worth it for the advantages of precision farming. My wife's grandad is 92 years old and was running the combine for us two years ago. He has been a great mentor to me and a lot of other people. He is the kind of guy that a lot of people look up to. When he is around people in town a lot of people come say hi to him and ask him a lot of questions and shake his hand with respect. Great man. I doubt that we have much time left with him, but his legacy will live on. I just hope one of my daughters decides to continue on with the farm. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 6th 2011, 9:39 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:nice one Schmitty ,and now I can put a face to the voice on the phone!
Frank

Bet you didn't think that much ugly could be in one place did you. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  hillbillyerv March 7th 2011, 3:56 pm

cool deal Schmitty im know farmer but i do have a small farm and try and grow what we consume, and i have a great respect for the folks that feed America. thanks Erv. cheers
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 7th 2011, 4:22 pm

schmitty wrote:
Frank Merkl wrote:nice one Schmitty ,and now I can put a face to the voice on the phone!
Frank

Bet you didn't think that much ugly could be in one place did you. Laughing

Don't sell yourself short...... Laughing Laughing JK

Nice Artical too.... Hats off to the people that farm.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 7th 2011, 5:01 pm

Hey Rob,thats cool brother,Thanks Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 March 7th 2011, 11:21 pm

The Good Lord alway's has a plan and we usually don't see it until years down the road. I grew up in California, when I was 16 if you would have told me I would end up in Missouri being a farmer I would have laughed myself to death. Now I see part of the plan and it is AWESOME!!!!!

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea March 8th 2011, 1:14 pm

Nice!

Can I get your Autograph at the Bash Schmitty? What a Face

Oh, that's a BIG f-ing tractor!

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 8th 2011, 2:27 pm

Hey Plowboy, where in MO are you at? Are you on Scott's too?

Damon, I can get you hooked up with that autograph Wink , but it won't be worth spit in a few more days. You know how this show biz deal is, hero one day and yesterdays news the next. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 March 8th 2011, 6:12 pm

They did a top notch job on the segment....and the "actors" did a great job.
Good story!
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next