BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil in the intake everywhere

+11
rmcomprandy
BOSS 429
richter69
Maddmattmustangs
maverick
fc2444
Lem Evans
'65 T-BOLT
c.evans
powerstrokeace
Dave De
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere Empty Oil in the intake everywhere

Post  Dave De June 3rd 2011, 9:45 pm

My motor is fogging the exhaust with oil. The intake is filmed everywhere with oil even on the carb spacer. At first I found that the intake gaskets were not sealing to the valley and sucking oil but I put new gaskets in and more sealant this time but then it seemed better until I took it up to 6k rpm. I took the intake off and the gaskets did seal the ports.
Random compression check shows consistent 210 psi.

This is what I got in a new build.
SCJ heads ported, Diamond forged pistons, .680 roller 280 duration, 13.5 comp., 547 cu-in, victor manifold, Cometic head gaskets.
Open breathers on the valve covers running E85.

I am stumped.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere Empty Re: Oil in the intake everywhere

Post  powerstrokeace June 3rd 2011, 10:37 pm

You really need to do a leak down test to determine what could be wrong. By chance are you running an accu-sump with an electric valve? I did one time put the valve on backward and had 3 extra quarts of oil in the pan and had some problems.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 4th 2011, 12:12 am

Did you put pipe dope, RTV, or thread sealer on your intake rocker studs? If not, you are sucking oil under the guide plates and through the intake rocker stud holes into the intake port.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT June 4th 2011, 12:59 am

Uncle Charlie....will this happen with every SCJ head?
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 4th 2011, 1:58 am

It will happen on every head,,,,,where the intake rocker stud bolt hole breaks through into the roof of the intake port. It doesn't matter if it is a BB Chevy head, or a TFS A-460 head, or so on. The port velocity of the SCJ heads and the P-51 heads is exceptionally high, and therefore it creates a vaccum and wants to suck oil through even the smallest gap or opening. Another place to use sealer is in the old DOOE-R heads where the top two end valve cover bolt holes breaks through into the intake ports.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 4th 2011, 4:49 am

'65 T-BOLT wrote:Uncle Charlie....will this happen with every SCJ head?

No. The SCJ come from FRPP with loctite on the threads. If someone has removed the studs they may need to be resealed.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 4th 2011, 9:52 am

c.evans wrote:Did you put pipe dope, RTV, or thread sealer on your intake rocker studs? If not, you are sucking oil under the guide plates and through the intake rocker stud holes into the intake port.

Charlie

I used thread locker on the thru rocker stud holes and the 4 valve cover screws at the top. This is a wet sump system with a 7 quart rear sump Moroso pan and the Kaase oil pump. It also has gapless Total Seal top rings.

What's the best plan to run this down?

Dave

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  fc2444 June 4th 2011, 10:15 am

I had this problem one time took the total seal rings out and all it went away.Never had any luck with gapless rings, some people do but I have not.

fc2444

http://amr-coatins.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 4th 2011, 10:33 am

fc2444 wrote:I had this problem one time took the total seal rings out and all it went away.Never had any luck with gapless rings, some people do but I have not.

I dont understand how piston ring performance can put oil into the intake.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 4th 2011, 10:37 am

So, the oil seems to be coming from every port?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace June 4th 2011, 10:39 am

What does the bottom of the manifold look like? I had a very small crack in my A460 and seen oil pooling up in the valley. Look real close to the bottom for any possible hair line cracks that may be under the runner or base.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 4th 2011, 10:40 am

Dave De wrote:
fc2444 wrote:I had this problem one time took the total seal rings out and all it went away.Never had any luck with gapless rings, some people do but I have not.

I'm not saying it is but, oil from a cylinder[s] can revert into the intake manifold during 'overlap'........the time both the intake and exh. valves are off the seat.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 4th 2011, 11:21 am

Lem Evans wrote:
Dave De wrote:

I'm not saying it is but, oil from a cylinder[s] can revert into the intake manifold during 'overlap'........the time both the intake and exh. valves are off the seat.

I see that now so step one is to do a leak down test.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick June 4th 2011, 1:11 pm

Be absolutely sure that the oil you see is ENGINE oil. I once had a failed vacuum modulator in the trans of my old Mustang... The leaking diaphragm allowed trans fluid to be sucked up the tube and into the intake. It was a real mosquito fogger.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs June 4th 2011, 2:52 pm

maverick wrote:Be absolutely sure that the oil you see is ENGINE oil. I once had a failed vacuum modulator in the trans of my old Mustang... The leaking diaphragm allowed trans fluid to be sucked up the tube and into the intake. It was a real mosquito fogger.

X2 i had a cleveland that did that. scared me as it was a brand new build Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 4th 2011, 4:40 pm

maverick wrote:Be absolutely sure that the oil you see is ENGINE oil. I once had a failed vacuum modulator in the trans of my old Mustang... The leaking diaphragm allowed trans fluid to be sucked up the tube and into the intake. It was a real mosquito fogger.

Good idea but my modulator is not used as it has a manual valve body. I am going to buy the leak down tester tomorrow and will post results.
Some other answers to the questions.
The manifold is a victor so if it was cracked in the valley it would not leak into the runners unless it cracked across the flange. I checked it anyway and it isnt cracked.
Compression check on all cylinders is 210 to 220. Plugs 1-5 and 8 are oil fouled while most of the oil is in 1, 2, and 5. Every intake port has a thick oil film in it. The valve stems look well lubricated. Alcohol and oil mixture is a sticky mess. It did run good for the first 2 hours after it was put together.
This is how I see it now
1. Bad rings
2. Leak in the head thru a stud or two
3. Cracked head intake port.
4. ???

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 4th 2011, 5:39 pm

seal up the crankcase.............in other words plug off any braeathers, dipstick etc and just leave one valve cover breather hole open, if it were a ring issue there should be a good bit of pressure (blowby) if its a intake racker stud seal there should be a vacuum..........I assume there are no top lube or additives in the fuel?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 4th 2011, 8:25 pm

If it was a new engine, or fresh rebuild, and it was run with alcohol from day one,,,,,,,,I'm going to say that the rings were never seated. I strongly recommend that alcohol guys break in their engine on gasoline and make sure that the rings get "hooked up" before switching it over to alky.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 4th 2011, 10:44 pm

Not to be contrary but I have broke many a motor in on alky and never had an issue with rings sealing up, i cant speak for E85 or anything though.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere Empty leak down numbers

Post  Dave De June 5th 2011, 10:04 pm

c.evans wrote:If it was a new engine, or fresh rebuild, and it was run with alcohol from day one,,,,,,,,I'm going to say that the rings were never seated. I strongly recommend that alcohol guys break in their engine on gasoline and make sure that the rings get "hooked up" before switching it over to alky.

Uncle Charlie

I have leak down numbers that seem way high even without a breakin.
Leakage numbers 1 thru 8 and all of the noise is below without anything coming thru the valves.
40, 55, 40, 35, 35, 45, 45, 20

I dont understand how this happened I filed them at spec to .002 over. My pistons are Diamond 40525's with the Total Seal rings that came from Diamond except for the top being a gapless ring. I'll see more when I remove them in a few days.

Ring recommendations are welcome..

Dave

Last edited by Dave De on June 5th 2011, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 June 5th 2011, 11:39 pm

WHERE DID YOU HAVE THE PISTON DURING THE LEAK DOWN?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere Empty leak down from a better tester

Post  Dave De June 6th 2011, 7:48 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:WHERE DID YOU HAVE THE PISTON DURING THE LEAK DOWN?

The numbers that were posted earlier were from a Harbor Freight tester and they didnt seem right. I bought an OTC leak down tester and ratio'd the pressure per instructions while at TDC

leak-down numbers are from firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 22%, 0, 0, 0, 16%, 0, 19%, 0
Odd to get zero numbers but it is relative. 1, 6, and 7 are suspect. Blown head gasket between 6 and 7? But the compression numbers were at 210 and 220.

Any ideas here?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 6th 2011, 8:04 pm

It helps if the engine is warm or at temperature when doing a leakdown test, so hopefully it was. The beauty of a leakdown test is that you listen at four places.

1. Air escaping back through the carb indicates the intake valves are not sealing.
2. Remove the radiator cap, and air escaping into the radiator indicates a blown head gasket.
3. Listen at the header collector, and air escaping through the exhaust indicates the exhaust valves are not sealing.
4. Listen at the oil pan, or crankcase breather and air escaping into the crankcase indicates the rings are not sealing.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 6th 2011, 9:04 pm

c.evans wrote:It helps if the engine is warm or at temperature when doing a leakdown test, so hopefully it was. The beauty of a leakdown test is that you listen at four places.

1. Air escaping back through the carb indicates the intake valves are not sealing.
2. Remove the radiator cap, and air escaping into the radiator indicates a blown head gasket.
3. Listen at the header collector, and air escaping through the exhaust indicates the exhaust valves are not sealing.
4. Listen at the oil pan, or crankcase breather and air escaping into the crankcase indicates the rings are not sealing.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

In all cases the air is coming from the pan thru the valley because the intake was removed. there isnt any sound coming thru the other openings.
I'm thinking that if the pan comes off I am going to re-ring this with standard rings but with the numbers here would this be sucking oil to this extent? And is a leak down test going to show the oil leaking problem?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 6th 2011, 9:24 pm

Zero gap stuff will give a great leak down reading.....

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next