BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil in the intake everywhere

+11
rmcomprandy
BOSS 429
richter69
Maddmattmustangs
maverick
fc2444
Lem Evans
'65 T-BOLT
c.evans
powerstrokeace
Dave De
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil in the intake everywhere

Post  c.evans June 6th 2011, 9:29 pm

Well the 22%, 16%, and 19% indicates you have a problem with ring seal. You'll need to correct that.

However, since the intake manifold is already off the engine, please scrap and remove all gasket material from both the heads and the intake manifold. Then set the manifold on the engine in the correct position without any gaskets. Sight down the gap between the intake face of the heads, and the intake flange surface of the manifold. Those two surfaces should be exactly parallel. If not, then you have an angle difference between the manifold and the heads. I have seen a lot of engines that have that problem,,,,suck a lot of oil up from the valley,,,,past the gasket or through the gaskets, whatever and into the bottom of the intake ports.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 7th 2011, 12:15 am

Bad RING SEAL isn't always the fault of the rings. The cylinder walls and ring lands of the pistons have quite a bit to do with correct ring sealing, also.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter June 7th 2011, 8:42 am

if you determine rings to be at fault do not forget that honing will be required before you rering. I once didnt put the ring spacers under the oil ring and had lots of oil in the intake but the leak down numbers still looked good

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 7th 2011, 10:25 pm

If this a fresh build w/new rings,make sure to check the oil spacer rings. I had a complete set w/wrong oil spacer rings. The expander was right but the rings were too shallow and did'nt come out and scrape the oil and it caused the same problem as you described. We haven't had a mosquito in these parts for some time Very Happy Put in the correct rings and all was good. good luck brother Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Oil in the intake everywhere - Page 2 Empty Problem found

Post  Dave De June 8th 2011, 10:44 pm

I took it apart today and the problem is not bad rings. I didnt install support rails under the oil rings. They were not in the box from Diamond so I didnt see them to put them in. Yeah I know what a stupid move that was. Diamond is giving me support rails and a new set of rings at a reduced price. The cylinders look good with about 1/2 of the hone gone I am going to look into a light hone and keep the block in the car.
I also noticed that I put one Cometic gasket on with the arrow pointing to the rear of the block. Can this be reused in the proper way or should I get another gasket?

Thanks for all of the advice and yes this is embarrassing to tell you what I did.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 8th 2011, 10:52 pm

Same thing w/me.Diamond gave me the rings w/pistons,but ring mfg.screwed up and put the wrong rails in the package. Never hurt the cyl walls on mine but I did a light hone anyway for the new rings.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter June 8th 2011, 10:54 pm

wow, exactly the same for me except my rings were total seal, after you do it you think "how could i have done that" but we live and learn. I have seen the ring get wedged between the piston and cylinder when the spacer is left out and that is a major problem requiring new pistons, boring the block etc. Lesson learnt. I never reuse gaskets just to make sure you will avoid problems

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 8th 2011, 11:05 pm

Well ...uh.....Diamonds rings are the toal seal brand.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 8th 2011, 11:11 pm

Dave De wrote:I took it apart today and the problem is not bad rings. I didnt install support rails under the oil rings. They were not in the box from Diamond so I didnt see them to put them in. Yeah I know what a stupid move that was. Diamond is giving me support rails and a new set of rings at a reduced price. The cylinders look good with about 1/2 of the hone gone I am going to look into a light hone and keep the block in the car.
I also noticed that I put one Cometic gasket on with the arrow pointing to the rear of the block. Can this be reused in the proper way or should I get another gasket?

Thanks for all of the advice and yes this is embarrassing to tell you what I did.

Dave
you cant be the first one to do it and i bet you'll never do it again.good luck with it. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 9th 2011, 12:07 am

Dave De wrote:I took it apart today and the problem is not bad rings. I didnt install support rails under the oil rings. They were not in the box from Diamond so I didnt see them to put them in. Yeah I know what a stupid move that was. Diamond is giving me support rails and a new set of rings at a reduced price. The cylinders look good with about 1/2 of the hone gone I am going to look into a light hone and keep the block in the car.

Dave

You can probably reuse the Cometic gasket, just check it carefully. Also please check that cylinder head, as it may be warped from overheating, due to the lack of water flow through it. Please do not try to rehone the block in the car. You can never get it clean enough. Go ahead and remove the block, disassemble it and do things the correct way.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 9th 2011, 9:32 am

c.evans wrote:

Dave

You can probably reuse the Cometic gasket, just check it carefully. Also please check that cylinder head, as it may be warped from overheating, due to the lack of water flow through it. Please do not try to rehone the block in the car. You can never get it clean enough. Go ahead and remove the block, disassemble it and do things the correct way.

Charlie

X2 on the gasket ... that's a multi-layer STEEL gasket and doesn't deform the same as other materials.
IF the bores are not burnished or scored and they are still "straight & round" there is no need to re-hone them at all. IF that is NOT the case with their present finish then they should be re-honed.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 10th 2011, 10:42 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Well ...uh.....Diamonds rings are the toal seal brand.

Thx again Lem for all the service help when I went through this same deal. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jrocco July 3rd 2011, 8:32 am

I has a similar issue with my 460. It iurned out that there was insufficant space under the intake at each end (China Walls). The intake was bottoming out on the ends and preventing a proper seal on the gaskets. I milled a little off each end of the intake until I got 3//16 - 1/4" gap and that solved the problem.
jrocco
jrocco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2