BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marible & Pound WI Pull

3 posters

Go down

Marible & Pound WI Pull Empty Marible & Pound WI Pull

Post  TRUKPULR June 26th 2011, 2:59 pm

Maribel & Pound WI pulls

Boy this day just didn't start off good. Talked my Boss into letting me go home early to get an hour extra of sleep before I had to head off to Maribel WI at noon. But on the way home I hit a deer with my work car and took out the Driverside head light. Get to bed and was sleeping like a baby when my Cell phone wakes me up at 10 a.m. Oh well might as well get up and leave a little early to Maribel, Have to Stop for fuel on the way.
So I stop in Coleman at the shell station to fuel up the big tank in the Grunt Truck. Not looking till the nozzle was in the tank at the price on the pump $4.05 Hold on here it was only 3.98 in Marinette. So we'll just fill the small Truck tank $40.01 and wait to see what prices are next week. So back on the road hauling A$$ at 75 Mph we get to Maribel at 12:30 and the fuel station there has Fuel for 3.89 so we stop there and fuel up both tanks $204.00 later everything is full and we saved $8.32 on this fill up.. Hot dam. So pull into the pits area and got to parked next to my buddy Donny Skankis.
Went and saw Jodi and got registered only to get a number 5 and then I got Bruce a number 12 . The track was worked up good when I got there they had chiseled toothed it down 12" and had all the clay just opened up to the sun. when they went to pack it back in there was lots of air packed in with the clay and it was not packing in tight like they wanted it to. When Pat drove the sled onto the track he sunk in about 3" and had to be helped on the track with one of there big 8 wheeled Tractors. They pulled Pat down the track a half doz. time to try and work the clay in but it wasn't being to cooperative.
So they said the Super Stock Trucks were going to be the 3rd class of the day following the 6000# Antique Tractors. But as the show got started those little tractors could barely make it 100 feet down the track so they threw in the 13,500# farm Tractor class to help work the track up some for the trucks. I could see it was going to be a really horsepower track today, So I geared down one gear and locked the transfer case up and made my way to the scale. Once on the scale ShaZam seemed to have lost weight as I was only 5930 so I threw another 100 # in the weight box that I had on the trailer and rescaled only this time I was now 40# over 6200# so pulled out the 40# and got into staging. Now last year when I was here I was 2nd to last to pull and I took 2nd place with Tory pulling last and he took 1st. So the track does get better as the day goes on here. This year I was the 3rd truck to hook so I knew I was going to end up low on the totem pole today.
So MeanStreek was 1st to hook and he had a good looking run and pulled 301.57 had I been first hook I'd turned it down to pull at the end but we all have our own wars to fight. He kept it and next up was Donny, He left the line in a Smokey cloud of clutch dust and laid down a pull of 301.81 So maybe the track was good . So I'm up next and this week I'm going to try to play with the Throttle at the end of the track and see if I can get the tires to stay hooked up. So I have the chain tight and I hold the clutch back to 4000 and I start to move, at the 75 foot mark I feed ShaZam more throttle till I'm wide open and I seem to be running good I had good track speed and then I left out of the throttle just a smidge and the engine just about quits the last stage hits and I'm stopped dead in my tracks at the 297.12 mark. What the hell happen I didn't have a clue. Bruce came up to me after I got back into the pits and asked if the motor shut down or what, Said it sounded good till the last stage hit me then it was like the motor shut off for a second. So I replayed the run on the tach and I can see as I was heading down the track the Tach kept dropping out like I was losing my ignition during the run. So We got loaded up and headed North and I made note to check all grounds after I get to Pound.

As we get to Pound they just started the Trucks @ 5:30 so it was perfect timing
So I get into the pits and I find I had a lose Ground clamp on one of the batteries. Could this have been the culprit only time will tell. Now I have 5000, 6000, Open Stock, 5500 to sit thru before Super Stock runs, And then I'm the last truck in the class to pull. So with all this time on my hands I walk around doing what I really like best at the pulls and that's visiting with the other pullers.

So before you know it Super Stock is up and Ed's McClain's the first Truck to hook he heads down the track and pulls 229.53 and the sled guy decides to reset the sled making Bruce the first puller with Bad to the Bone. Bruce got hooked up and leaves the line easy and then mattes the throttle at the 100 foot mark and was heading out the back door fast when the flag guy threw the red flag at Bruce and he shut it down at 309.64. Now with Bruce being stopped by the Flag Man and not the sled we had to implement a full pull at the 309.64 mark anyone matching this or going past it would be in a pull off.
So next up was Steve Swanson he's finally got his New Motor in the truck and it's running pretty good right out of the box this year. Steve lays down a run of 297.36 but later told me he was 2 gears lower then he should have been, But had to start somewhere to get a base line for this new motor. Next up was Chucky Champagne and his Never Done Chevy, Now Chucky said he wasn't going to make it to many pulls this year, But Pound's just a few miles from home so he thought he's come and play today. Well Chucky laid down a pull of 303.72 and Jack was up next and he said he'd be happy to get a 285 pull today when I told him about the 309 full pull deal. Well Jack got hooked to the sled and laid down a pull of 263.93 OK so It's ShaZam's turn at the Red Sled I get hooked to the sled and pull the chain tight and Hold the clutch back to 3500 this time and eased it out of the hole and when I hit the 100 mark I gave ShaZam Full throttle And We where off to the races as I passed the Score board I was till moving And then the weight finally stopped me I couldn't see how far I went. As I got unhooked I got to back up after the sled pull away And I see a 306.13 @ 21 mph Cool 2nd place. So I head back to the trailer to change tires and Ed comes back for his re-pull. This time Ed got a good head of steam going and pulled the sled to 304.92 taking over 3rd place and knocking Chucky down to 4th for the day.

We had local boys stock and Diesel Trucks So I change tires over and got ready for Mod.

Time for Modified Craig was First with his New Motor and he did really good his run netted him a 275.95 and a smoke show at the end of the run, seems his valve cover bolts came loose and let a little oil leak onto his New Fab-Shop headers. Next up was Ed and he pulled the sled to the 221.77 mark , Bruce was up next with Bad to the Bone and pulled the sled to 251.08 at this point I see they really tighten up the sled for Mod So I get ShaZam all hooked up and this time I left the line on just the clutch not holding it back at all with the peddle. ShaZam left the line made it to 3500 then seem to stumble a little but made it to 4500 then when it hit 5000 it Zing to 8000 like right now. But I felt the tire let go of the earth and it felt like the sled put his brakes on Cuz ShaZam was slowing down really fast. I ended up only pulling 220.39 putting me in last place for the day in Mod. Next up was Steve's Boy and he pulled the sled 245.14 and then came Bruce with Poker Face. As he left the line I heard a couple of pops coming out of the headers but he got it up into it's power band and pulled the sled 254.02 putting Poker Face in 2nd place.

So OK next Week I have a Pull in Sugar Bush WI on Friday Night July 1st. 6:30 p.m. Sugar Bush is on County Rd N & Humboldt Rd in between Green Bay and Luxemburg WI. Then on Sunday July 3rd I'll be in Gillett WI 7:00 p.m.

It's getting to be the busy time of year in the pulling season where we have multiple pulls on the weekend. And this is where the Summer just seems to fly by. During July we have 12 pulls in August we have 6 pulls and in Sept. we only have 4 pulls.

So until next week See ya.

Dan and ShaZam
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Marible & Pound WI Pull Empty Re: Marible & Pound WI Pull

Post  schmitty June 26th 2011, 11:24 pm

Love the stories Dan. Keep them coming. Very Happy
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony M June 27th 2011, 9:56 am

schmitty wrote:Love the stories Dan. Keep them coming. Very Happy
X2. I feel like I went to the truck pulls and I dont get there as often as I would like.
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down