BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money

+4
cooter
BIGDOG466
rmcomprandy
MIKE93SVT
8 posters

Go down

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money Empty new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money

Post  MIKE93SVT July 10th 2011, 1:55 pm

so i'd like to put together a mild 460 build. i found a 460 longblock setup that wasn't completed. i'm awaiting the details on what was actually done. anyways, plans would be for a decent cam, tfs or p-51 heads, and a carb. will go into my 95 mustang and shoot for mid 10's on pump gas.

i asked the guy for exact details, year of block, casting number, etc. my questions is.. is this a good deal if it's all in good shape and legit? i'm assuming it's a stock rebuild setup unless it shows otherwise. here's what's posted in his add. i'll post up the further details when i receive them shortly.

thanks
mike

he's asking 750 for this.....

This is a 460 block and rotating assembly that has been rebuilt.
Machine honed block and polished crank shaft.
All new bearings and rings have been installed.
Have a set of C8VE heads to go with it.
Heads were rebuilt by MPG cylinder heads
This combination should net about 9.25:1 compression.
Have a comp cams cam to go in it also.
Can assemble for you if needed or you can take it the way it is.

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money Empty Re: new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money

Post  rmcomprandy July 10th 2011, 2:08 pm

Not enough information about the vehicle and your end result desired for whatever you are doing to give you any kind of responsible answers.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money Empty Re: new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money

Post  MIKE93SVT July 10th 2011, 2:22 pm

it was a hasty post. i was mainly looking for any insight on buying this block and stuff. and i was posting in the newbie section.

anyways. car stats are below

95 mustang
mini tub and full suspension
lot of weight removed, just interior panels remain for astetics
will be a weekend toy, so high stall
4.10 gears, may switch to 3.73's
have a th400, but gotta see if a c4 or c6 would be simpler

looking to keep it pump gas friendly and leave some room for a small shot. so around 10.5:1 seems to be what i'm finding if using aluminum heads. hydraulic cam would be preferred.

i'm aware of the things needed to swap and make it fit. been building mustangs for a while. just have to educate myself on bbf's and the smart way to put together the whole package

the block was bored .030 and then he said it was honed to .033 to clean it up. so i gotta search to see if there's still plenty of meat left to bore further if needed. he has to go look for the casting number. he's not sure what year it is.

let me know if i'm leaving anything out. would've posted this in the 'Non Tech forum" but didn't see one.

thanks
mike

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 July 10th 2011, 6:07 pm

Go with a Glide
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter July 10th 2011, 7:04 pm

im thinking it would be a reasonable price if the stuff is good however i dont see anything in his parts that will help you build a 10 second car other than the block and maybe the crank. I would start from scratch and build a new motor to match your requirements

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 1:35 am

cooter wrote:im thinking it would be a reasonable price if the stuff is good however i dont see anything in his parts that will help you build a 10 second car other than the block and maybe the crank. I would start from scratch and build a new motor to match your requirements

thanks for the reply. i figured as much on the parts. the block and crank are pretty much what i would use, and sell the rest. comes with the extra stuff which is supposedly all fresh as well. so i could recoupe some money by selling it too.

turns out the block is a D1VE-6015-A2B cast. so i'm currently doing a search to ensure it will fit my needs without requiring special needs. he said the crank is a 2YAB, which is internally balanced. so back to the search button to make sure these parts are correct and i should be good to go.

thanks
mike

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 3:09 am

here's a few pics of the motor

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money IMG_9261

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money IMG_9260

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money IMG_9274

and the car it should be going in

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money A31f7913

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money C8b8e95b

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money DSC_0280

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  the1969fordguyinky July 11th 2011, 10:08 am

That may be the cleanest '95 left on the planet...
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 11:02 am

the1969fordguyinky wrote:That may be the cleanest '95 left on the planet...

haha, thanks. not sure about that. but i've been workin on it for almost 2 years. had a few different combos setup for it, but never finished the installs. i was looking for another fox when i found this one. was 100% stock on the 2nd owner when i bought it with 90k. couldn't believe how clean it was as i tore it apart. it's definately gone a little over the top from the original plan, but that always seems to happen. here's a few more pics

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money 44feaf1b

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money A992f6b1

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money DSC_0283

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money DSC_0270

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 11:12 am

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money 21cf0673

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money DSC_0230

new guy getting into bbf. please help as i spend money E2884ab4

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  A70maverick July 11th 2011, 11:47 am

The block and crank will run mid 10s all day long with no problem. But is there a reason you want to stick with a stock stroke cast crank? If your not going to use the pistons, rods, or heads, why not find a decent block and get a stroker rotating assy, and build from there? I see what you are saying about selling the leftover parts, but the heads are about the only thing worth a few $$. A nice 521 with SCJ heads on pump gas may surprise your mid 10sec goals!

A70maverick

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 12:11 pm

A70maverick wrote:The block and crank will run mid 10s all day long with no problem. But is there a reason you want to stick with a stock stroke cast crank? If your not going to use the pistons, rods, or heads, why not find a decent block and get a stroker rotating assy, and build from there? I see what you are saying about selling the leftover parts, but the heads are about the only thing worth a few $$. A nice 521 with SCJ heads on pump gas may surprise your mid 10sec goals!

i get what you're saying. problem is i'm still finishing the car to support the motor and am unsure of what my budget will be for the motor. have to get a fuel system, gauges, and build the trans. and a bunch of small stuff. anyways, was just trying to see if a simple combo could accomplish the goal. and use that to get the chassis dialed in and enjoy it for a year or two. then build a large stroker and put some serious times down.

by 'doing it right the first time" modo, i've already been waiting a long time to drive. i'm actually deployed to afghanistan right now saving money to finish this damn thing. i just find things like this and keep my wife busy by running around and buying parts for me, haha. it's a solid platform to fall back on if funds run short. so unless i should stay away, i'll go ahead and purchase it and see what my funds will allow when i get back.

i've been learning alot searching the forum, thanks for the help so far.

mike

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  A70maverick July 11th 2011, 3:26 pm

I hear you. Well, if it helps I ran 11.29 in my 80 Capri with a bone stock 69 Lincoln 460 short block, with a comp 305H flat tappet cam, ported to CJ port DOVE heads and Victor intake with a 950hp holley carb. C6 with a brake, 8" converter and 3.73 gears. It was a blast to drive on the street for sure! $750 isn't a bad price, if it comes with the timing cover etc. And, Thanks for your service!

A70maverick

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 11th 2011, 4:12 pm

thanks for the support, always nice to hear.

i'm reading all the data i can find right now. given the shortblock checks out for bearings and everything done, i'm looking at possibly swapping for some hyper pistons to help compression/valve relief. maybe rods. i'd like to grab some kaase scj heads for a good street motor. then i can definately get a nice cam and put down some decent power. then i can source an a460 block and build a solid stroker while i save some coin and then swap over the top end from that motor. it all sounds good in my head, we'll see what happens when it's time to put the thing together

thanks
mike

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 11th 2011, 4:33 pm

Lem has a great buy on the SCJ heads right now, and they will deliver good power with a good valve job, and properly ported. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  stangman95 July 12th 2011, 3:01 pm

hey man good luck on your build. I have the same car with the same setup. if you have any questions ill try and help. btw white 95's are my fav.
stangman95
stangman95

Back to top Go down

Post  MIKE93SVT July 12th 2011, 3:46 pm

thanks, i saw your build. car runs great. i'd like to see those kind of numbers eventually. but just doing a more budget combo on the motor and running pump gas for now.

i didn't wanna make another post. but i've been searching and can't find any answers. the motor i'm getting has fresh, stock rebuild on it. it also comes with stock rebuilt D0VE C heads. i'd like to see 10's out of this combo.

can a stock shortblock accept TFS Street heads without ptv issues? i'd rather not dump a bunch of money into the d0ve heads and buy the trick flows later. so if they would work, it would be ideal. then i would definately get a custom cam setup for it. the motor has stock style .030 over pistons. so with the cc's of the tfs street heads i figure compression would be around 9.3:1 or so. does that seem right, or will this not work?

if not, then obviously swapping the pistons can be done to accomodate. and that's where i see the "while you're doing pistons, do rods" and that snowballs into just doing the full stroker kit setup. i don't have the money to do the complete build. i'd also like to wait and find an a460 block for that anyways.

MIKE93SVT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down