BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine limiters?

+3
whatbumper
res0rli9
soupbean
7 posters

Go down

Engine limiters? Empty Engine limiters?

Post  soupbean June 3rd 2012, 12:01 am

Ok fellas, a few of you have told me I need to use engine limiters since I am using a front motor plate. I no longer have the "some what mid plate". Now it is just the front motor plate and a rubber trans mount. Due to my headers, I cant put engine limiters in. I am dealing with a BBF in an SN95 chassis. What are your opinions on running a solid trans mount with a Reid case to limit lateral movement?
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Engine limiters? Empty Re: Engine limiters?

Post  res0rli9 June 3rd 2012, 12:12 am

a solid trans mount will brake the case.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 3rd 2012, 12:37 am

Dont do it. Best bet is to build one off the original motor mount pad or the back of the block.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 3rd 2012, 1:21 am

My limiters run from the motorplate frame mount to the original motor mount mounting points. I can't think of a a header situation that would render them unusable.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 3rd 2012, 1:25 am

whatbumper wrote:Dont do it. Best bet is to build one off the original motor mount pad or the back of the block.

Or just not have an engine limiter and stick with a rubber trans mount? Original motor mount pad is a no go. I could make it work on the driver side mounting forward but no option on the passenger side. I COULD fab brackets that could mount on the bottom of the bellhousing to block bolt holes but even that is going to be tricky to get to a good structual point.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 3rd 2012, 1:27 am

Barney wrote:My limiters run from the motorplate frame mount to the original motor mount mounting points. I can't think of a a header situation that would render them unusable.

My motor plate is mounted to 3" angle welded to the frame. On the passenger side, the header is inline with that angle and the original motor mount point.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 3rd 2012, 1:54 am

I'll take some pics of mine tommorrow. I have 2 1/4 inch headers and a heads and my limiters are no where near an issue.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 3rd 2012, 3:22 am

Barney wrote:I'll take some pics of mine tommorrow. I have 2 1/4 inch headers and a heads and my limiters are no where near an issue.

I too have 2 1/4 headers with a heads. Thanks in advance for taking the time to take and post pics!
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 3rd 2012, 3:27 am

Using limiters does help keep the throttle linkages/clutch linkages/pedal stops in adjustment, and helps the driveline retain consistent slip yoke clearance. But using engine limiters also has the added benefit of reducing the possibility of the engine/mid plates developing stress cracks over time from the metal being repeatedly bent forward/back over & over from the increased engine movement that's possible without them.

As for dumping the mid plate I'm not a fan of just using just a front plate. Using a mid plate greatly increases the transfer of engine rotational torque to the chassis & reducing the rotational loading the front plate (& it's small bolts) has deal with.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn June 3rd 2012, 5:10 pm

I'm glad this came up, it reminds me I need to take my limiters back off and powder coat them lol! . Here's my setup with 2-1/4" primaries, going to 2-3/8" during the winter months. They attach to the block motor mount pads and run forward to the bottom of the frame.

Engine limiters? Limiters
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 3rd 2012, 6:00 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:I'm glad this came up, it reminds me I need to take my limiters back off and powder coat them lol! . Here's my setup with 2-1/4" primaries, going to 2-3/8" during the winter months. They attach to the block motor mount pads and run forward to the bottom of the frame.

Soupbean mine are very similar to those and those are good pics. The front of my limiters mount to a tab that is welded to the same frame mount as the motor plate. I haven't been at home today, but when I do I'll try to stake some pics also.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 3rd 2012, 7:37 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:I'm glad this came up, it reminds me I need to take my limiters back off and powder coat them lol! . Here's my setup with 2-1/4" primaries, going to 2-3/8" during the winter months. They attach to the block motor mount pads and run forward to the bottom of the frame.

I can do that easily on the driver side but on the passenger side the #1 header tube is in the way.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 3rd 2012, 7:58 pm

It will run under the #1 tube, unless you have some space age loopy loo headers.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 3rd 2012, 8:28 pm

pics kinda suck, but you get the idea.
Engine limiters? 005Engine limiters? 004-2

Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 6th 2012, 1:02 am

Barney wrote:It will run under the #1 tube, unless you have some space age loopy loo headers.

You were right Barney. I had to move my mounts to the back of the engine plate like they should be anyway (bought the car turnkey last year and they had them in front: ALOT OF CHANGES SINCE BUYING THE CAR) and was able to make it work no problem. Thanks for the pics and the advice guys!

Engine limiters? Enginelimiter

soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean June 6th 2012, 1:14 am

Doug, I've noticed you have an very similar suspension setup as I do. My question is with the travel limiters. I have the same ones. I was told I needed them. I made one pass and the car bounced around like a cut spring low rider and I took them off after that pass. What good do they do you and how tight do you have them set? I was told to take all slack out with the car sitting on weight. The QA1's dont allow much travel anyway, just wondering what the purpose is and what benefit you have gained from them.

Last edited by soupbean on June 6th 2012, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 June 6th 2012, 8:30 pm

Here's how I did mine > https://www.429-460.com/t4799-my-build-my-fox-transformationlotsa-pics > go to pages 1 and 2 there are pictures and hopefully you'll understand how I did mine. After you see the pic on page 2..... where I ran my limiter from the block to the chassis, I believe where I connected to the chassis was where the original sway bar may have been but I'm not sure. You may have to find some place similiar on your chassis to connect to. Hope this helps. Any questions don't hesitate to call me @ 248-495-4023 before 9pm EST.
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down