BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag

+4
Barney
schmitty
richter69
5pointslow
8 posters

Go down

i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag  Empty i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag

Post  5pointslow September 16th 2012, 5:21 pm

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/3272656376.html
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag  Empty Re: i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag

Post  richter69 September 16th 2012, 5:30 pm

make sure you pull theair cleaner and make sure there is no dirt on the inside, also look at the turbo wheel to make sure the edges are notndusted or eat up........ also pull the oil filler cap and make sure there is not ecessive blowby.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag  Empty Re: i may look at this truck ya guys think its worth it to buy just for towing , it be long as hell with my 28ft tag

Post  schmitty September 16th 2012, 8:24 pm

Same wheel base as my C/C and I pull a 48' trailer with mine. I'm used to the Peterbilt though. LOL Looks like a good puller and price seems pretty reasonable for what it is. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 16th 2012, 9:03 pm

Also make sure ou leave the rack on it, cuz it's sweet. As long as it checks out, sounds like a reasonable price.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 16th 2012, 9:42 pm

im gonna look at tommorrow gonna warm up and go for a 15 mile drive and make sure tranny shifts good .

i have never owned a 7.3 but been told they run good and can go 300k miles , You guys with diesels like or similar to this towing a loaded 28ft you guys doing it in overdrive on highway with the diesel??
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 16th 2012, 9:57 pm

leave it in o/d, its not a chevy......... if cared for I've seen um w 700k on the odo............ yet to see a 6.0/6.4/6.7 do that w the original engine....................the tranny will fail long before the engine.

If it has the factory airbox get rid of it, 95% of 7.3 eng replacements are from its poor design. The newer AIS box Ford sells is a good replacement....... stay away from a K and N of any type.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 16th 2012, 10:00 pm

any good upgrades performance wise ... chips or air intakes ? any good gains that are worth it ?

thanks
Andrew
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 16th 2012, 10:21 pm

They are just like an old 5.0l. Intake, exhaust and a chip. Very Happy Tony Wildman seems to have really good reviews. Mine has one from DP tuner and it is good but the tranny does some funny things sometimes. The DP tuner locks out my OD button so I can't turn it off if I wanted to but I always towed in OD before the chip. The only time I get below 65 is on some steep hills in Tn and north Alabama. I also did a 4" MBRP exhaust and a WIX filter setup. If you check out the FTE forum for some excellent help.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 17th 2012, 12:01 pm

im going tonight , i hope its clean as he told me ....says stored indoors since new , bvut has dings and dents from work ...it was used in the awning buissness

im not very fimiliar with the 7.3 , i have heard good things . The only other diesel i have ever owned was a 95 12v cummins and it was okay ran good body rotted to hell .

My biggest concern with this rig is its length ...towing a 28ft trailer . I know guys tow 28ft with diesel pusher rvs and truck driver ect .... i have been using a 94 chevy dually towing a 20 ft open lol !! So this would be a change. My wife thinks it be good for room and storage at track ect ....if i put a cap on it .

Going tonight at 5 pm tonight wish me luck , Theres no hitch on it so i know its never been towed with anything of great weight .

Any last thing to look at when i get there ? plan is get it hot and drive it a ways to make sure tranny shift ! lol
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 17th 2012, 8:42 pm

got it for 3500 $ very clean underneath ...some dings and dents everything looked good , my brother put the snap on modis on it and no codes or cleared ones either .

Its long but im a lot better with this than that f350 6.2 gas job i was looking at for 28k lol
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 September 17th 2012, 9:27 pm

5pointslow wrote:got it for 3500 $ very clean underneath ...some dings and dents everything looked good , my brother put the snap on modis on it and no codes or cleared ones either .

Its long but im a lot better with this than that f350 6.2 gas job i was looking at for 28k lol

congrats!
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 17th 2012, 9:32 pm

cool deal, ya get ready to hop it up gimme a holla..................... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 17th 2012, 9:52 pm

That's a smoking deal. Congrats.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 18th 2012, 6:26 am

only thing i would do

is a programmer , exhasut and intake ....i have no idea which ones a best for this .

Its cool there was never a hitch put on truck so it was never towed with . From what i have been told 128k on the 7.3 is nothing ..

I know im asking a million questions for you diesel gurus but what oil do you guys use in the 7.3 , i have heard Rotella 15 40w ???
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 18th 2012, 8:30 am

Suspect Hey.Jon...Why no K & N's ?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2012, 8:58 am

the turbo will suck dirt right through a K and N filter, the K and N is also to thick for the factory airbox and they bust the tabs off rendering it completely useless. Seen it many many times over the years, people think I'm full of shit but the condition of the wheel does not lie.

The chip, intake and exhaust is a good upgrade, donet forget a big tranny cooler and a modded accumulator to firm up the shits is a must also if you want the tranny to have any kind of chance. Chip with no accumulator mods is a fast death for the clutches in the tranny...............Ford did not put enough cooler on it either.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 18th 2012, 9:21 am

What about the K & N cone type that eliminates the airbox? Are they wuffashit here?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno September 18th 2012, 10:03 am

maverick wrote:What about the K & N cone type that eliminates the airbox? Are they wuffashit here?

SAY IT AINT SO !!!! Laughing

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2012, 10:55 am

the filter still sucks, dont use one period.

The Afe is a nice one, but they are $$$$$$$$

The Ford AIS deal uses the Donaldson filter like the 6.0/6.4 which is awesome, and the kit come with everything, box, battery tray etc.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 18th 2012, 1:28 pm

5pointslow wrote:what oil do you guys use in the 7.3 , i have heard Rotella 15 40w ???

Yes, that is the only oil I have ever used. Fabio can hook you up with a Tony Wildman chip I believe. The 4" exhaust is big enough IMO. I don't know if brand makes a difference thought. If you search over on the FTE forum for all your answers. Super Duty Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiest. There is a sticky at the top of the page with everything you can imagine. Here is the 7.3l section. 7.3 tech FTE

For an air filter I used the WIX deal. It is much cheaper than an air intake kit and works well. Look Here.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2012, 1:43 pm

15 40 Rotella T, or the Motorcraft..................even the Green stuff is good to go..... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow September 18th 2012, 2:35 pm

say a chip like stated , and exhaust ......does it realy wake these things up ? i have never modded a diesel before and dont have a clue what to expect ......i obviously dont expect 13 second tow trucks lol
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 18th 2012, 2:50 pm

5pointslow wrote:say a chip like stated , and exhaust ......does it realy wake these things up ? i have never modded a diesel before and dont have a clue what to expect ......i obviously dont expect 13 second tow trucks lol

HUGE difference. It will make a ton more power down low right off the throttle. Excellent for pulling a trailer and spinning the rear tires in wet/dry weather. Plus I picked up about 3 mpg. Very Happy
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 18th 2012, 5:05 pm

bruno wrote:
maverick wrote:What about the K & N cone type that eliminates the airbox? Are they wuffashit here?

SAY IT AINT SO !!!! Laughing

LIke you, Nick....Been in 'Bama too long. Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2012, 5:41 pm

chip will make a huge difference I promise.................. Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down