BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need some advice asap on this maverick ..per these rules

+12
supervel45
cool40
capri-sun
DanH
NOS42
DILLIGASDAVE
D. Sea
yellowhorse7
richter69
windsor
Dave C.
5pointslow
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

need some advice asap on this maverick ..per these rules  - Page 2 Empty Re: need some advice asap on this maverick ..per these rules

Post  70FB March 9th 2014, 9:32 am

After Dave at Cecil said this car would be legal for 10.0. There is some not so happy campers over there. On you YB thread.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

need some advice asap on this maverick ..per these rules  - Page 2 Empty Re: need some advice asap on this maverick ..per these rules

Post  5pointslow March 9th 2014, 12:41 pm

70FB wrote:After Dave at Cecil said this car would be legal for 10.0. There is some not so happy campers over there. On you YB thread.

yeah i see that , pretty sad all i did was ask if it would be legal .....lol
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 9th 2014, 1:19 pm

5pointslow wrote:
70FB wrote:After Dave at Cecil said this car would be legal for 10.0. There is some not so happy campers over there. On you YB thread.

yeah i see that , pretty sad all i did was ask if it would be legal .....lol
the firewall would be the only question about it imo.it HAS stock front rails so the back half shouldn't matter. I know I've saw lots of OL 10.5 cars that look more like promod.its a10.0 index anyway so why does it matter. Do people bitch when a "street car" runs with chassis cars?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky March 9th 2014, 2:35 pm

supervel45 wrote:
5pointslow wrote:this maverick

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/4305389594.html

to these rules http://www.atcoraceway.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/10.0-Index.pdf

the maverick has stock front frame rails , but is this considered a tube chassis car ???
hell the aje front end is prob worth 2k alone

Thanks
guys
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You did not mention the race PowerGlide two BBF's new connecting rods (what brand and part#) and other race parts mentioned in the add. Depending on what they are, this could be worth quite a bit also. I noticed the paint also looked very good also in the pictures, if that matters to you. Looks like a good deal to me if it will work with your rules, and I would jump on it myself. The add also said OBO I believe? As for as it not technically being a full tube chasis, it sure looks close, but maybe it will squeak by the rules, as has been mentioned.

Yea really, This car is not far from me. I would be interested in one of those powerglides if the OP bought the car. Could help offset the cost of the car.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 9th 2014, 2:40 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
5pointslow wrote:what if any gain with  longer ladder bars ?.......
There is no "best" ladder bar length. It kinda depends on how much power you have to work with & what you want the car to do. Some people only look at what effect bar length has at the front of the ladder bar (lifting the chassis upward), and some only look at the effect length has at the back of the ladder bar (suspension extension & pushing the slick downward). But both play a part at the same time and have to be factored in together.

The front of the ladder bar......

For testing purposes lets say all ladder bar lengths in question all had the exact same set amount of rear housing rotational force/energy created by a given amount of engine torque (X amount of housing rotation measured in degrees) to work with. And lets say a car's C/G placement & total weight wasn't a factor in this testing and we are just talking about how much distance/movement different mechanical leverages can create. In this case the front of a longer & longer ladder bar would actually try to raise the front rod-end up higher & higher (longer lever lift point lifts a higher distance with the same amount of rotational energy input vs a shorter lever lift point). But in the real word a car's C/G placement & total weight does factor in & have a big effect.

This means that while a longer & longer ladder bar might be trying to lift the front rod-end a higher & higher distance, at the same time that longer & longer ladder bar is also having to try to lift a greater & greater amount of the car's total weight as the bar length gets closer & closer to the car's C/G (longer lever lift point can't lift as much total weight with the same amount of rotational energy input vs a shorter lever lift point). It's like trying to lift a car with a floorjack that's lift point is moved farther & farther away from rear housing and/or closer & closer to the C/G. The closer the jack is to the C/G, the harder it is for the jack to lift the car. So the longer ladder bar is usually said to be "less violent" than a shorter bar because while the longer bar might be trying to lift the front rod-end a greater total distance, it can't easily lift the greater amount of weight at that point.

The back of the ladder bar......

Since every action has an equal/opposite reaction, as the ladder bar is trying to lift the car at it's front rod-end, it's also at the same time trying to push the rear housing/wheels/slicks away from the chassis assembly & down into the track surface. And the same "leveraging effect" (mentioned above) happening at the front of the ladder bar is also happening at the back of the bar. So while the longer ladder bar's increased mechanical leverage should be able to push the housing/rims/slicks away from the chassis and into the track surface a greater distance, at the same time it can't push/compress as much "weight" (compressive resistance from slick sidewall & air pressure) as a shorter bar can. Which again is why a longer ladder bar usually said to be "less violent" than a shorter bar.

And ladder bar length is only one part of the whole picture since shock valving is also another important factor. With X amount of HP/TQ to work with you can sometimes "calm down" a too short/violent ladder bar setup with stiffer-tighter shock valving settings, and sometimes "wake up" a too long/lazy ladder bar setup with softer-looser shock valving settings.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 9th 2014, 3:07 pm

DanH loves ladder bars!
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 9th 2014, 5:04 pm

so guys i sent a deposit , Its in Conklin Ny

going Sat morning out

he has ownded the car since it was 2 yeaqrs old , always stored in a heated garage. Was a street car in 2007 decided to build then he said his father passed away and found a deal on a done foxbody

Rear end is brand new with 35 spline axles
aje front is all brand new
ladder bars are all new
has a 8.50 cert

all bumpers and trim all mint he said

also comes wth csr electic waterpump , and front plate
manual rack
brand new alum radiator
2 blocks he says are "DOVE" blocks - i will belive it when i see it
2 sets of dove c heads
2 stock cranks
pistons and rods he said i didnt ask if they were stock or what .
plus new built glide with trans brake .

On top of it all a guy from New jersey is coming weds buying my fastback i had .

I feel i am going in the right direction now , i couldnt Pass this up . Most of all being a maverick is different im not like everyone else with there foxbody for what its worth
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 9th 2014, 7:10 pm

I bet they are DOVE blocks and heads. I think you got a hell of a deal. Add add up all of the work and parts seperately, and it comes to pennies on the dollar. How old is the certication?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB March 9th 2014, 8:52 pm

Sweet! Hope to see you at Cecil on Aug 29th.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 9th 2014, 8:55 pm

Just went to his house and bought everything....gave him more than what he wanted
..looks good in my shop! Smile
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 9th 2014, 9:12 pm

70FB wrote:Sweet! Hope to see you at Cecil on Aug 29th.

lol prob stay up in mass for a while
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 9th 2014, 9:13 pm

NOS42 wrote:Just went to his house and bought everything....gave him more than what he wanted

i bet you did lol

i shoulda had you go look at it before i committed but i figuare i cant lose out in my situation  Very Happy 
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 9th 2014, 9:30 pm

NOS42 wrote:Just went to his house and bought everything....gave him more than what he wanted

in all seriousness though , i will be headed out sat morning how far are you from Conklin ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 9th 2014, 9:53 pm

I'm from Syracuse
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB March 9th 2014, 10:30 pm

Good people right there 5point^^^^^^^
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 10th 2014, 8:26 am

NOS42 wrote:I'm from Syracuse

i saw that you posted you had a backhalved maverick

what can i expect for weight on this thing bbf / glide 180 lb driver ? should be fairly light i would asume
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 10th 2014, 9:03 am

I honestly don't know....never 100% finished the car....it was a 351C with a top loader....notched shock towers, all stock front end except cut out the massive front bumper reinforcement out.....car was pretty light I'd say

Also the shitty weather up here is supposed to start Tuesday night into wed.....possible 4-8 inches, one slight wind change 6-12..... by the time you come through on the weekend everything will be cleaned up, roads might be wet....if you have a open trailer, car will get a little shitty for sure
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 10th 2014, 9:09 am

NOS42 wrote:I honestly don't know....never 100% finished the car....it was a 351C with a top loader....notched shock towers, all stock front end except cut out the massive front bumper reinforcement out.....car was pretty light I'd say

Also the shitty weather up here is supposed to start Tuesday night into wed.....possible 4-8 inches, one slight wind change 6-12..... by the time you come through on the weekend everything will be cleaned up, roads might be wet....if you have a open trailer, car will get a little shitty for sure

Thanks for info , whats your name by the way ? i see your posts never knew first name .
My gps is showing me to go through albany then shoot down towards conklin . Should be a pretty strainght drive for me through western mass on the pike . i was talking to a guy local that used to have a low 9 sec maverick he said the biggest thing on that car was putting a sheet metal wing on the back to help it at high speeds .

i looked it up i was very surprised i thought the wheel base was smaller than a fox its actually slightly bigger foxes are around 103 i think if i recall and the maverick is around 106-108 for whatever thats worth

Thanks
Andrew
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 10th 2014, 9:56 am

My name us Mike....I really can't help you on directions from your location, might want to ask DanH that is on this forum....he has made that trip a few times....maybe he will chime in here.....good luck with your new project!
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 10th 2014, 10:25 am

thanks

i have a gps to use but somtimes there best route may not be the best . either way i will get there , i will post some better pics when i get it back and list what i got
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 10th 2014, 5:31 pm

5points, the spec wheelbase should be around 103".  The one I cut up for a tube car was a bit less than that...I stretched it a little when I built the chassis.

Congrats on your deal.   You're going to like that thing.  You won't likely see a crowd of 'em at the track. Cool
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 10th 2014, 10:05 pm

5pointslow wrote:thanks

i have a gps to use but somtimes there best route may not be the best . either way i will get there , i will post some better pics when i get it back and list what i got

Ma pike and NY thruway  (90) Stay on 90 in NY - its an exit to stay on 90 . . I know , doesnt make sense, its toll free to Albany.  90 to 88 south .. 88 to 81 south.

seller can give exit number off 81 and to his local. you will be south of Binghamton

shorter way is 90 in NY to 87 ( don't get off the Albany 90 exi) So 87 south to NY 23W to 88 South . thatway is shorter

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. March 10th 2014, 11:34 pm

A buddy had one... Most of the young guys at the track didn't know what it was.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 11th 2014, 2:03 pm

Thank you all

for input and direction advice .

i will post up pics when i get back home , and the stuff i get with it . Nice to have somthing a bit different than everyone else in the area

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 11th 2014, 9:45 pm

5 points,congrats Wink You did good brother. Actually,the Mavericks aren't as scarce in the Drag race community as you would think. Maybe at the local tracks,but not at the Ford get togethers. The Fun Ford weekends and NMRA events usually bring out a ton of them. My Maverick was back halved 4link w/BBF and c6,Fiberglass hood,doors,fenders,and all windows were Lexan. It had stock frame rails w/full front suspention including towers,and weighed 2700# w/o me. Mavericks make great race cars,you will like it,and good luck.
ps....I have some window/parts if you want them..........................Freee...

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next