BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eliminator Blocks Best Suited

+5
QtrWarrior
bbf-falcon
kim
J.Toney
FalconEh
9 posters

Go down

Eliminator Blocks Best Suited - Page 2 Empty Re: Eliminator Blocks Best Suited

Post  gmsmkr January 2nd 2015, 5:04 pm

My vote is short stroke big bore the ultra block at 4.600 start and 4.150 stroke the p51 heads if you like my choice be a-heads 1150 split dommys and 3 kits (why only 800hp) .....smart ass comment sorry just had to Razz
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 2nd 2015, 7:40 pm

garys gt wrote:cant you use your 10 bolt heads on a 18 bolt block ? would leave room to grow in the future if possible.
I did... Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 2nd 2015, 8:48 pm

FalconEh wrote:
J.Toney wrote:
FalconEh wrote:
cool40 wrote:Well how big do you plan to build this monster? Any idea what stroke you want?  Appears like your worried about something that doesn't matter when talking about the blocks in question. confused

Not a monster, originally thinking 4.3", thoughts are moving to 4.5" but I don't want to risk the investment in the two D9's I have now ...they are about as good as they are going to get. I want a block with a little safety margin without spending money going over the top on something far too capable.
To me, this question is more about bore, any of these blocks will do a a crank like your're talking. But bore is a big jump (4.500 sportaman, 4.6xx A-460, 4.700 ultra/premier)in choices. Generally watching trends and listening to smart experienced builders, bigger bores never hurt power production. As far as head bolts, 10 gets a lot done, and you might have to step up to another head if you "need" 18.
Next question to me would be....what cylinder head?
I'm in a similar situation, but I think I made my choice.
At some point, I would just say "I just need to build something for now, not 5 builds later".

dfree383 wrote:Well..... IMO you build would work in a factory block with some caps....

But that being said, the better investment is the aftermarket block and you appear to be willing to make that investment. I'd go with the Top eliminator block if you have the $$$.

If you decide to get out later it will be worth a fair amount being good to 4.700.

I want to stick to the 10-bolt block, as I was thinking of P-51's that could be used on one of my D9's until the next engine is built, gives me a little more interchangeability between parts.

Why? The 18 bolt is an added feature.... All the 10 bolt heads work on them fine.

Besides I'm not sure any of the good aftermarket stuff is avaliable in 10 bolt only.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh January 2nd 2015, 9:26 pm

dfree383 wrote:Well..... IMO you build would work in a factory block with some caps....

But that being said, the better investment is the aftermarket block and you appear to be willing to make that investment. I'd go with the Top eliminator block if you have the $$$.

If you decide to get out later it will be worth a fair amount being good to 4.700.

I want to stick to the 10-bolt block, as I was thinking of P-51's that could be used on one of my D9's until the next engine is built, gives me a little more interchangeability between parts.[/quote]

Why? The 18 bolt is an added feature.... All the 10 bolt heads work on them fine.

Besides I'm not sure any of the good aftermarket stuff is avaliable in 10 bolt only.[/quote]

Not that familiar with the 18-bolt not an option for the 351C...Is the opposite true also?, can I use the 18 bolt heads on a 10-bolt block aka D9 (with NOS) because the A-460 heads could serve both purposes well. I do like the larger bore option as it open up a lot of opportunities with cu/in and piston varieties, and room to grow for the price difference the .200 is a bargin.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  garys gt January 4th 2015, 2:35 pm

I believe the 18 bolt a460 heads will work with the 10 bolt block as long as you don't get the ones with the larger  2.40  intake valves. You can go to trick flow Web site and it will tell minimum Bore size on what ever head your looking at. Also tells flow numbers and other stuff. I believe that's correct but others here can tell more I am sure.

garys gt

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior January 4th 2015, 3:03 pm

Yes, You can use 18 bolt heads on a 10 bolt block...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh January 4th 2015, 3:19 pm

Cool Thanks for you input guy's I appreciate it!

This will open up more options. I will spend some more time on their websites study
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down