BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW Smog Mess

+12
cool40
Curt
FalconEh
Mike R
BigRigTech
Copperhead
dfree383
DILLIGASDAVE
torino501
richter69
supervel45
billandlori
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VW Smog Mess Empty VW Smog Mess

Post  billandlori October 15th 2015, 8:30 pm

How in the hell does this happen???

There would have to have been a lot of people in on this, many departments and sign-offs.

I think all the smog crap is bogus anyway but, they know the rules they have to live by and the Green Police love to beat the crap out of a big company!!

Just scratching my head,

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

VW Smog Mess Empty Re: VW Smog Mess

Post  supervel45 October 15th 2015, 8:57 pm

http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/how-volkswagen-ags-clean-air-strategy-went-horribly-wrong Mo Money. affraid

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 15th 2015, 9:11 pm

The cars get 70 mpg so they cant be too bad lol!!!

I figured it came down to money, just wondered how they thought they could beat it!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 15th 2015, 9:31 pm

They don't care as long as they get their cut right now. Look at the bankers and wall street and some other unnamed car companies, maybe they will get a government bailout too.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 15th 2015, 9:59 pm

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/vw-diesel-cheat-mode-mpg-performance/ So they are going to loose over 3 miles per gallon and run crappier so you push on the gas pedal harder, and that will make them pollute less. OK.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 15th 2015, 10:04 pm

"This week, VW announced it plans to recover from the scandal by increasing its focus on electric cars, including plans for a plug-in hybrid Phaeton sedan."                                                                                                                                                                                                     That's too funny.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 15th 2015, 11:06 pm

Lmao!!! That is pretty funny!!

Nothing is kinder to the environment than acid and lead!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 16th 2015, 12:00 am

Pile of shit
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 October 16th 2015, 2:37 am

nothing like a vw rollin coal...

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 October 16th 2015, 2:41 am

people don't realize this but that 6.7L that ford has is a nasty sonofabitch too. if not for the 8 grand worth of dpf and shit. it would make a b52 seem like a mosquito fart during take off...

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 16th 2015, 4:19 am

This whole mess has me wondering if all the car makers don't do something similar to some degree to hit the gov. numbers. And if a diesel combo can be fudged with the computer, it probably can be done with gas too.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 16th 2015, 7:21 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:This whole mess has me wondering if all the car makers don't do something similar to some degree to hit the gov. numbers. And if a diesel combo can be fudged with the computer, it probably can be done with gas too.

I agree Dave. I know a guy that used to work for Ford in England in the 80's. The manufacturer would supply the car to the government for testing. Lmao..... They would build ringer engines that were tuned perfectly, sort through skids of spark plugs to get the exact resistance the wanted for each cylinder and crazy stuff like that!!

I guess its like any rule book, someone will find a way around it!!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 16th 2015, 8:29 am

torino501 wrote:nothing like a vw rollin coal...

I got one ! I'm a proud owner of a dirty 2014 Jetta....... VW sent me a letter apologizing a few weeks ago and I've been thinking about sending a letter back thanking them for the fine car and screwing the EPA.... The EPA needs to be disbanded !!!!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 16th 2015, 8:31 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:This whole mess has me wondering if all the car makers don't do something similar to some degree to hit the gov. numbers. And if a diesel combo can be fudged with the computer, it probably can be done with gas too.

If it can be fudged with a computer program why do they need DEF?

IMO their is alot more to this story...... VW was a major voice against the bail outs for us auto manufactures..... Think about it.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 16th 2015, 8:52 am

dfree383 wrote:

IMO their is alot more to this story...... VW was a major voice against the bail outs for us auto manufactures..... Think about it.....

Also, the UAW couldn't get in either lol!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead October 16th 2015, 9:21 am

Well,......

I have a 2013 VW Passat TDI SE (my wife drives it daily) that I bought new in July of 2013 and it's one of the year models that are caught up in all this shit.   I have a little under 23k on it and the car has been fantastic (other than a turbo failure @ 17k that was covered under warranty).  It's a good looking car (IMO), has decent power,....TORQUE actually,.....has a TON of rear seat room,......was reasonably priced (30k),...... and got it for 0% financing at the time of purchase.  

It gets about 35-36mpg around town,........and 45 on a trip.
Needless to say,...... I REALLY like this car.

And Honestly,........We looked at what Ford had to offer (Fusion & Taurus),........and they really didn't come close.

I really hope that VW and the Feds get this stuff worked out.  I'm not going to be too keen on sending this in for a recall,.....IF it starts to have a major effect on the fuel economy,......as this was the main selling point for us.

FWFW,
This is my second Volkswagen,......as I bought an 04 Jetta TDI back in 07 w/ 30k on it.  Currently has about 110k on the odometer.   I done the recommended timing belt change @80k.   Other than an Alternator & Battery,.....I haven't spent a dime on it.   I drive it daily,......and get 38-39mpg with me dogging the shit out of it.  Took it to Georgia a few weeks ago,..........Filled it up when I left town,.....and didn't put a drop of fuel in it till I got back.
696 mile round trip (same day) and used 14.5 gallons of fuel.  
48 Miles a Gallon

At $2.41 per gallon,.......It ONLY cost me $35.00

The ironic thing,....... My 2013 Passat puts out less CO2 than my 04 Jetta,.......BUT,... the 04 is not involved in this scandal,.....due to it being older.

Oh well,.......just going to have to wait and see how it plays out.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 16th 2015, 9:56 am

Be glad you didnt get a fusion, ford dropped the ball with this computer controlled manal trans setup, i wish they would recall all of um and shove them up fords ass.....give the customer something else.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech October 16th 2015, 11:39 am

richter69 wrote:Be glad you didnt get a fusion, ford dropped the ball with this computer controlled manal trans setup, i wish they would recall all of um and shove them up fords ass.....give the customer something else.

Same deal in the wife's 2011 Fiesta....Other than the trans/clutch issue (on the 3rd clutch at 60,000km) the car has been great, zero problems....Easy as hell on gas too. My 08 Fusion has a slush box tranny with the 2.3L....I love that thing, I've put 54,000km on it since I bought it used...Front brakes and a head light bulbs are all I've done.

The regen diesels are pigs with the DPF removed, they smoke like a MOFO...I was trained on the mid range Cummins ISB, ISC and ISL in 2007 when they were brought to the market...When you see one with a DPF breached you see how much smoke they actually make, they are worse then the older ISM engines and harder on fuel too...You burn more fuel to make cleaner emissions.... Suspect Suspect Suspect I've had several truckers tell me they regret buying a new truck once they had one with regen gear..."my old truck had more power and it was much easier on fuel" is the common theme. International has been paying fines for years because their Maxxforce engines could not meet emissions without Urea, CAT's Acert stuff sucked so bad they got out of the truck engine market for a few years and what they sell now is a hybrid CAT/International engine. VW couldn't meet the requirements so rather then pay the fines they tried to cheat and it will cost them much more in the end..."german engineering" my ass... lol!
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 16th 2015, 4:23 pm

dfree383 wrote:

I kind of figured the same, and now they are sucking up talking about making electric cars. Maybe we will see VW windmills in the future also.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R October 16th 2015, 7:29 pm

Over engineered Nazi pieces of shit, welcome to the 4th Reich cheers cheers cheers

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh October 17th 2015, 8:19 pm

Well... I have a 560 Hp mustang that will pass emissions with a 412HP tune, so I can advertise the Mustang at 412HP but if you want to buy a programmer you can have the 560HP version, or I have a 400 HP VW that passes emissions at 280HP but if we program it to run in limp mode with certain factors giving it the ability to pass the EPA tests with the 280HP tune, then we can advertise the car as 400HP and sell a lot more cars. It has been mentioned in articles here before that the big three want to utilize copyright laws to stop outsiders from creating programs for their cars due to internet copyright , and propriety laws, thus creating a monopoly on the aftermarket.The previous scenario is brutal, as the big three want to remove innovation and competitive pricing and open the doors to a "pay me what I want monopoly as I am the only game in town".Back to VW it was risk vs reward, they got caught but for those who purchased they got what they paid for but now they can get the HP removed and pass the emmissions. Anyone who has purchased a programmer, or added aftermarket parts to their car is guilty too.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt October 17th 2015, 10:12 pm

I think the VW engineers deserve an award. I wish Ford would hire them and tell them to get busy.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 18th 2015, 11:48 am

Curt wrote:I think the VW engineers deserve an award.  I wish Ford would hire them and tell them to get busy.
damn skippy!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead October 19th 2015, 11:03 am

richter69 wrote:Be glad you didnt get a fusion, ford dropped the ball with this computer controlled manal trans setup, i wish they would recall all of um and shove them up fords ass.....give the customer something else.

I'm assuming these are the same shitty Powershift/DCT transmissions they put in the 2012-2014 Focus ?

My son has a 2013 Focus with one of those,.....BUT,.... "so far",.....no issues @ 22k

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 19th 2015, 1:42 pm

I had a 2008 Mercury Milan for the wife. She put over 100k on it and never a problem other than rear tire wear. I did my own alignment and fixed that! The VW deal is unfortunate for the consumer, they'll be the one to pay for it.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next