BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coated pistons

+3
Scott Foxwell
rmcomprandy
foxbody
7 posters

Go down

coated pistons Empty coated pistons

Post  foxbody September 6th 2016, 1:59 am

i have one of lems old motors from his boating days am wondering about coating the pistons i am going to change it up a little its a short stroke motor so i am planning a 9000 rpm and 1100 hp but i have no experiance on coated pistons so any advice will help in this decision thanks

foxbody

Back to top Go down

coated pistons Empty Re: coated pistons

Post  rmcomprandy September 6th 2016, 9:42 am

foxbody wrote:i have one of lems old motors from his boating days am wondering about coating the pistons i am going to change it up a little its a short stroke motor so i am planning a 9000 rpm and 1100 hp but i have no experiance on coated pistons so any advice will help in this decision thanks

There is some advantage to heat barrier coating the crowns however, anti-friction coating the skirts will be a preventive measure in the case of bad lubrication on the cylinder wall.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 6th 2016, 11:39 am

I agree with Randy...the question is what do you want to accomplish with coatings?

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 6th 2016, 11:55 am

foxbody wrote:i have one of lems old motors from his boating days am wondering about coating the pistons i am going to change it up a little its a short stroke motor so i am planning a 9000 rpm and 1100 hp but i have no experiance on coated pistons so any advice will help in this decision thanks

Is this the 498 with the short decked AR aluminum block?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  foxbody September 6th 2016, 9:38 pm

yes it is lem any advise you have will be welcome its going in a 2800 lb fox body tube car 389 gear 0r 410 with a power glide no gas i want it all motor as i have a 605 ford on a bottle alllready dont need 2 bottle babys

foxbody

Back to top Go down

Post  foxbody September 6th 2016, 9:53 pm

i was thinking that if the crowns were coated i might get a better burn rate as far as the skirts if i run a good oil and oiling system i thought that i would be ok if people that have used coating before havent seen a big improvement then i wil forgo the coating just wanted some feed back as it will be my choice in the end thanks for the feed back

foxbody

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 6th 2016, 10:33 pm

When you replace the existing pistons having the new ones hard-coat anodized would be an option.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  foxbody September 7th 2016, 12:00 am

thanks lem i was going to use the existing pistons the pistons still look good and this would save a lot of fitting as these have a lot of work on them already but new rods are in the works along with danny b belt drive and a dry sump i will be calling you on these as it goes back together

foxbody

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 7th 2016, 10:17 am

If you need some dimensional changes to the skirts I highly recommend Line2line coatings. I know guys who even use them on new builds. As for thermal coatings, that's always a good move especially on something with compression that's going to see some rpm and abuse. Coating skirts as a "friction modifier" has never shown a performance improvement. I would be careful hard anodizing new pistons if the ring grooves haven't been sized accordingly. Hard anno is great for alky but IMO not necessary for gasoline.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 7th 2016, 12:32 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:If you need some dimensional changes to the skirts I highly recommend Line2line coatings. I know guys who even use them on new builds. As for thermal coatings, that's always a good move especially on something with compression that's going to see some rpm and abuse. Coating skirts as a "friction modifier" has never shown a performance improvement. I would be careful hard anodizing new pistons if the ring grooves haven't been sized accordingly. Hard anno is great for alky but IMO not necessary for gasoline.

There is nothing to be careful about anodizing, I just have Diamond do the "Double Diamond coating option" when I order the pistons.

The anodized stuff from Diamond can be ran with less piston to wall clearance = less piston rock and better ring seal = more power.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 7th 2016, 3:49 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:If you need some dimensional changes to the skirts I highly recommend Line2line coatings. I know guys who even use them on new builds. As for thermal coatings, that's always a good move especially on something with compression that's going to see some rpm and abuse. Coating skirts as a "friction modifier" has never shown a performance improvement. I would be careful hard anodizing new pistons if the ring grooves haven't been sized accordingly. Hard anno is great for alky but IMO not necessary for gasoline.

There is nothing to be careful about anodizing, I just have Diamond do the "Double Diamond coating option" when I order the pistons.

The anodized stuff from Diamond can be ran with less piston to wall clearance = less piston rock and better ring seal = more power.    
I mis read what you said. I thought you recommended him having his existing pistons anno'd.
You can run less piston to wall clearance because the piston doesn't expand as much with the anno. Your running clearance will be about the same as a non anno'd piston. I really don't see the benefit for a NA deal on gasoline, but that's just me.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 7th 2016, 4:53 pm

coated pistons EF643DFA-2303-4641-A406-F6B14EFC5C44_5
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 7th 2016, 6:03 pm

^^^^^^
An example of the Diamond double coat.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 7th 2016, 11:48 pm

Those must have come from Lem. "INJECTOR MASTER"
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell September 8th 2016, 8:47 am

Lem Evans wrote:^^^^^^
I have Diamond anno'd pistons in two blown alky engines I'm building.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 8th 2016, 10:54 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:^^^^^^
I have Diamond anno'd pistons in two blown alky engines I'm building.

we put those in every blown combo we do here. they are darn good.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down