BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3/8 Main Oil Feed Eliminator Block

3 posters

Go down

3/8 Main Oil Feed Eliminator Block Empty 3/8 Main Oil Feed Eliminator Block

Post  5ohhh May 18th 2017, 7:29 pm

Had a friend reach out to me this afternoon with a question regarding his Eliminator Premier block. My experience in the 385 world is limited to the RDI, C&C and SVO blocks.

Is there any reason and or has their ever been any issues with the main oil feed only being the smaller 3/8 size? This is being relayed to me over the phone so without seeing for myself its hard to say whats what but if infact the feed is only 3/8 i'd have to imagine thats a bit of a restriction to feed all 5 main galleys which i assume to be 5/16?

I know this block has water between the bores like a production 460 block, are they smaller in order to keep away from a potential water passage? What am i missing here?

5ohhh

Back to top Go down

3/8 Main Oil Feed Eliminator Block Empty Re: 3/8 Main Oil Feed Eliminator Block

Post  rmcomprandy May 18th 2017, 10:34 pm

5ohhh wrote:Had a friend reach out to me this afternoon with a question regarding his Eliminator Premier block.  My experience in the 385 world is limited to the RDI, C&C and SVO blocks.

Is there any reason and or has their ever been any issues with the main oil feed only being the smaller 3/8 size?  This is being relayed to me over the phone so without seeing for myself its hard to say whats what but if infact the feed is only 3/8 i'd have to imagine thats a bit of a restriction to feed all 5 main galleys which i assume to be 5/16?  

I know this block has water between the bores like a production 460 block, are they smaller in order to keep away from a potential water passage?  What am i missing here?

The FE Ford block for all the life of its O.E.M. production, other than the 427 blocks, all had a 3/8" oil transfer gallery with a 75 degree abrupt turn from the oil pump to the oil filter adapter.
It wasn't right then either.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane May 20th 2017, 5:04 pm

5ohhh wrote:Had a friend reach out to me this afternoon with a question regarding his Eliminator Premier block.  

...has their ever been any issues with the main oil feed only being the smaller 3/8 size?  This is being relayed to me over the phone so without seeing for myself its hard to say whats what but if infact the feed is only 3/8 i'd have to imagine thats a bit of a restriction to feed all 5 main galleys...
3/8-inch main feed?  I suggest you call your friend back and ask him to measure the size of that mains gallery using drill blanks or even bits.  I've not worked with an Eliminator block, but all other brand blocks I have seen (FoMoCo, Boss, SVO, Motorsport, Arias/Root, Arias, RDI, even CanAm) have a 1/2-inch main feed.

5ohhh wrote:...What am i missing here?
If the Eliminator blocks do have 3/8-inch primary mains, then I might hypothesize as follows:

The standard 385 Series block has over 50 "leaks" or bleed-off points in the engine.  By dedicating a new oil gallery to feed the rotating assembly exclusively (ie, primary mains), at least 32 bleed-off points inside the engine are no longer being fed by that dedicated gallery.  (Instead of 50+ leak points, 385 Series primary mains provides oil to only about 20 leak points.)  And so the gallery in question may not need to be as big as one that feeds an entire engine.

That's just spit-balling based on your inquiry, and I will be surprised to learn that the primary mains gallery on the Eliminator blocks is actually 3/8-inch.  Please let us know what you find out, and make sure he measures the main feed and not the passenger-side lifter feed.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down