BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drysump pump problems

4 posters

Go down

Drysump pump problems Empty Drysump pump problems

Post  Tony M January 27th 2010, 11:44 pm

I sent my pump out to the manufacturer for check up. The tech tells me that trash has gone through the pump and damaged the internal parts. I question this because all of my scavenge fittings are screened and the oil presure was always normal. The tech told me that I would only notice the drop in pressure once the oil is heated and the motor is at an idle. The cost of the repair is 100.00 less than a new pump. I did break a valve spring but cleaned the screens and the head before running the last 10 passes of the year. Has anyone else had this problem taking the same precautions?
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Drysump pump problems Empty Re: Drysump pump problems

Post  BOSS 429 January 28th 2010, 12:41 am

yes this can happen, when ever you hurt the smallest thing the pump should come apart,and be cleaned,
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony M January 28th 2010, 1:07 am

I will keep that in mind the next time. As ususal, another 700.00 mistake on my part. I am having them send the old pump back. Cant be that bad, took me through qualifying and 4 rounds. (I'll keep it in the trailer as a spare)
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain January 29th 2010, 11:02 am

It makes a difference what type of pump you're running too. They can be a gear or gerotor style of pump and generally a gear pump is much more tolerant of small pieces of trash than the gerotor style. A few little nicks and scratches probably won't hurt much anyway.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH February 3rd 2010, 9:44 pm

love the part the tech said.. as the oil heats up, lower pressure . plus at idel. get you pump back , be surprised how many pump companys parts interchange

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony M February 3rd 2010, 11:58 pm

Yeah got to love it. I having him send the old one back so that I can inspect it. It is a gear pump.
Tony M
Tony M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down