BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tool for cutting pedlestals down

+5
QtrWarrior
the Coug
The Pope
c.evans
86 coupe
9 posters

Go down

Tool for cutting pedlestals down Empty Tool for cutting pedlestals down

Post  86 coupe February 14th 2010, 4:53 pm

Does anybody sell a tool to cut my D-3 heads for srew in studs and guideplates

86 coupe

Back to top Go down

Tool for cutting pedlestals down Empty Re: Tool for cutting pedlestals down

Post  c.evans February 14th 2010, 5:19 pm

I take and put them on a work bench and grab a big side grinder, like what welders use and get them "close" by hand. Then when your head is in the seat and guide machine and you're doing the valve job, along with cutting down the guide o.d. and height on the valve spring side, you can finish cutting down the tops of the pedestals with a cutter.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope February 14th 2010, 6:22 pm

So ...... Get them knocked down and then get the machine shop doing the valve job to finish them up.
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 14th 2010, 6:44 pm

I have a cutter that does that in my tool collection it is simple deal..... I also have cutters for spring seats 1.55 and 1.625 and pc seals

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  86 coupe February 14th 2010, 7:06 pm

thanks i used to have an Isky tool for doing it but can't find it now.

86 coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior February 14th 2010, 9:04 pm

Craig,

I might have one of those tools OR we could cut them on my mill. Cool
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 14th 2010, 10:33 pm

Because of the "valley" between the two higher sides or pedistals, it makes it kind of hard on single bit tools. Thus the reason I grab the side grinder and get it all down to one level before we use a tool bit style cutter.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 15th 2010, 12:16 pm

c.evans wrote:Because of the "valley" between the two higher sides or pedistals, it makes it kind of hard on single bit tools. Thus the reason I grab the side grinder and get it all down to one level before we use a tool bit style cutter.

Uncle Charlie

LOL, I think that is a little better explanation of what you meant than in the first post (take the angle grinder to it. I am concerned however because the angle grinder seems to be your solution to a lot of problems. I tried to get a friend (that is an engine builder) on the board so I was showing him the site. We just happened to click on a post about A 460 blocks and someone needed a little clearance and your solution was to "TAKE THE ANGLE GRINDER TO IT". I though it was a little funny but he didn't so he won't come back. Shocked
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 15th 2010, 12:32 pm

Sorry I offended him. IMO there is a time and place for every tool. I don't do valve jobs with a hammer and a chisel, however I do remove excess casting flashing from a block with a hammer and a chisel, or a side grinder if need be. Very Happy

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  86 coupe February 15th 2010, 12:47 pm

thanks everyone, mike i'll get them close and then see if i can remember where you live. it's been a long time since i went bar hopping in savannah or thunderbolt.

86 coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick February 15th 2010, 1:36 pm

jasonf wrote: I tried to get a friend (that is an engine builder) on the board so I was showing him the site. We just happened to click on a post about A 460 blocks and someone needed a little clearance and your solution was to "TAKE THE ANGLE GRINDER TO IT". I though it was a little funny but he didn't so he won't come back. Shocked

So what does he do to get the proper clearances? Take the time to set it up in a mill and mill it out? I have always done the same thing when getting the clearance for a crank, rods or whatever, rough it out with a grinder and then finish it with a die grinder. It's a lot faster doing it that way, IMO, then loading it up and taking it to a machine shop and paying them just have a professional finish on some thing that no one will ever see once the pan is on it.

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain February 15th 2010, 3:13 pm

I can't believe someone would make a big deal out of somebody using an angle grinder on a block, big deal. I use one when grinding off the casting flash at the corners of blocks I'm going to use for a high performance build at least for the rough work. Some people freak about silly things. I had a guy one time who just couldn't believe that I used a belt sander to match weigh pistons when I only needed to take off a little, why not? It makes a very nice looking finish that's smooth too.

I wish I had one of those special cutters that's made for doing the bosses on these heads but I don't. I just use a big end mill in the Bridgeport mill. I use one that's wider than the boss and it will cut it down smoothly and pretty quickly but it takes more time to set up than other methods.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 15th 2010, 8:23 pm

racnrick wrote:So what does he do to get the proper clearances? Take the time to set it up in a mill and mill it out? I have always done the same thing when getting the clearance for a crank, rods or whatever, rough it out with a grinder and then finish it with a die grinder. It's a lot faster doing it that way, IMO, then loading it up and taking it to a machine shop and paying them just have a professional finish on some thing that no one will ever see once the pan is on it.

I guess when you are the machine shop you chuck it up in the mill or something. For minor clearances I just use my die grinder. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but I can I have never thought of using the angle grinder on a new block. Very Happy
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  138 February 15th 2010, 8:58 pm

my buddy was sitting here when I was drilling holes in my block for Paul Kanes mods, and I busted out the angle grinder when I was deburing the block and he said "are you out of your god damn mind".....I told him "yeah and after this I'm gonna fill it with concrete"... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down