BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

460 oiling question

+8
LivermoreDave
342g
jts557
Curt
rmcomprandy
bbf-falcon
Paul Kane
fatal addiction
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

460 oiling question Empty 460 oiling question

Post  fatal addiction March 16th 2010, 11:20 pm

i thought i read somewhere that u could drill in the block and run a copper tube to help oil the front of the motor is this right? just lookin to get better oiling i've never had any prob. but have the motor tore down and would like to do it now while it's apart...thanks eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

460 oiling question Empty Re: 460 oiling question

Post  Paul Kane March 16th 2010, 11:44 pm

Why do you want to re-engineer the OEM oiling system with new passages and lines when you have just said that it is serving you just fine? certainly, there may be a time and place for upgrades and improvements and even adding passages and plumbing, etc, but how much hp are we talking about in your particular build?

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction March 17th 2010, 9:26 am

i thought i read where it was just all around better for the motor. i have a 605 w c-heads 16.5 to1 single carb right now but i'm converting it to dual carbs and a single stage fogger...thanks eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 17th 2010, 9:50 am

fatal addiction wrote:i thought i read somewhere that u could drill in the block and run a copper tube to help oil the front of the motor is this right? just lookin to get better oiling i've never had any prob. but have the motor tore down and would like to do it now while it's apart...thanks eric

Just say no and leave it alone other than restrictors Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 17th 2010, 11:21 am

fatal addiction wrote:i thought i read somewhere that u could drill in the block and run a copper tube to help oil the front of the motor is this right? just lookin to get better oiling i've never had any prob. but have the motor tore down and would like to do it now while it's apart...thanks eric

The only worthwhile improvement to the stock production oiling system within a regular block is to drill the main passageway larger and install lifter bushings on the passenger side.
NOT very cost effective unless you NEED every last bit of oiling help.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 17th 2010, 11:37 am

Being that it is a 605ci, I'm guessing it's not a stock block. The aftermarket blocks oil well, when properly set up with the correct galley restrictor.

Last edited by Curt on March 17th 2010, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 17th 2010, 11:41 am

Curt wrote:Being that it is a 605ci, I'm guessing it's not a stock block. The aftermarket blocks oil well, when properly set up with the correct gallery restrictor.

NOWHERE in the original post does it say anything about being a 605... I wasn't answering any later posts.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on March 17th 2010, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 17th 2010, 11:43 am

I know, it is in his follow up to the first response. Basketball
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 17th 2010, 11:48 am

Curt wrote:I know, it is in his follow up to the first response. Basketball

Why are you being such a stickler when I even QUOTED the post I was answering; do you simply have a giant ego to fullfill and like to see your name up there or something...?

I will never understand this petty crap...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 17th 2010, 11:58 am

fatal addiction wrote:i thought i read where it was just all around better for the motor. i have a 605 w c-heads 16.5 to1 single carb right now but i'm converting it to dual carbs and a single stage fogger...thanks eric

The guy was looking for answers, just trying to keep it on the right track. It's ok that you didn't read all of the reply entries.

I post my name so people will know who I am, without using a handle. I'll change it to something anonymous if you want me too.

Stickler, I dont think so.

The petty crap, not sure what that is, unless it's something your starting. Basketball
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 17th 2010, 12:08 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

The only worthwhile improvement to the stock production oiling system within a regular block is to drill the main passageway larger and install lifter bushings on the passenger side.
That is what the guy who tore my motor apart wanted to do IF i ran a stock block witch i have decided
against .Someone told me on here that was wrong i believe.Anyway just for info reasons he told me he found
a kit on the net for about 250 .00 to bush them.Although he is very very knowlagable about machining
i would not try it .I think about 850 you start pushing the block esp the oiling and mains .Just what\
i kinda figured out But i am not a engine guy at all.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 17th 2010, 12:36 pm

jts557 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

That is what the guy who tore my motor apart wanted to do IF i ran a stock block witch i have decided
against .Someone told me on here that was wrong i believe.Anyway just for info reasons he told me he found
a kit on the net for about 250 .00 to bush them.Although he is very very knowlagable about machining
i would not try it .I think about 850 you start pushing the block esp the oiling and mains .Just what\
i kinda figured out But i am not a engine guy at all.

I have built engines well over 900 horsepower with a stock production block however, that was at high RPM and the high torque level wasn't there. Higher RPM is when the oiling gets on the NEEDY side.
900 horsepower in 7,000 RPM engine is about the normal strength limit of the stock casting.; IF the torque number goes up, the horsepower number will go down as to what it will withstand.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction March 17th 2010, 3:55 pm

yes it is a A-460 block. sorry i didn't put it down in the origanal post. thanks guys didn't mean to cause a fude like i said i just thought that while i had it apart it might be an improvement just thought i'd ask for some other oppinions i'll leave it alone and run the heak out of it Very Happy thanks again fellas...eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 17th 2010, 5:05 pm

Like he said i never had a issue until i went over 7000 rpm that seem to be about the magic number
to many internal leaks

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 17th 2010, 8:27 pm

over 7k is not needed in most applications. imo (excluding Pulling trucks and purpose built BIG BORE short stroke high reving Big Blocks)

Last edited by bbf-falcon on March 18th 2010, 3:53 am; edited 2 times in total

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 17th 2010, 8:31 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:over 7k is not needed in most applications imo Smile

It wasn't needed in Jakes, that's for sure.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 17th 2010, 9:46 pm

THAT depends a LOT upon the size of the engine, Rick.
429/460 race engines are regularly well over 7,000 RPM.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 17th 2010, 10:03 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

..... or/and as Randy mentioned, also ask yourself why would an engine as the Ford 385 with the oil pump at the front of the engine need oiling help up-front when that area gets a dose of oil first! What about the so-called band-aid oil line to the rear of the block at the oil pressure tap at top, to assist with the oiling of the rear area of the engine?

Just another two cents,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 17th 2010, 10:04 pm

I shift mine at 7400 cross at 7500..............first pass I pulled the shift timer down from the previous setting, wasn't enough, went 7600 on the first pass.........it liked it.

Tighter converter and steeper gear accelerates the shit out of a drag car...........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  665 falcon March 17th 2010, 10:14 pm

I agree Rick, but in my case Acumilater (spelling) does the trick for my Canton pan. Just a little added insurance, in witch i feel good about Cool
665 falcon
665 falcon
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 17th 2010, 10:26 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

..... or/and as Randy mentioned, also ask yourself why would an engine as the Ford 385 with the oil pump at the front of the engine need oiling help up-front when that area gets a dose of oil first! What about the so-called band-aid oil line to the rear of the block at the oil pressure tap at top, to assist with the oiling of the rear area of the engine?

Just another two cents,

Dave, would it be better to run the line for the accumulator to the rear, and put the guage at the front port, just asking.
Dave.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

460 oiling question Empty That's an Idea.

Post  LivermoreDave March 18th 2010, 8:46 pm

Dave I guess that would be an option. Not that I know about these things, but may I offer another view? The Accusump feeds oil when the pressure near the orifice it's attached drops below the Accusump's contained pressure ... does this sound correct? If this is correct, the Accusump would provide oil to that area AFTER a pressure drop. If we route an oil line from the front, side oil pressure orifice which exhibits equal (or very near) pressure as the oil pump produces, would a constant flow of oil to the rear of the engine attached to the fore mentioned orifice be an improvement, without the lack of oil that would "trigger" the Accusump?

As for the gauge location, I would prefer the gauge at a location that would receive the oil later. Not that this is an indication that the front of the engine's oil pressure is better or worse, it just seems the place to monitor oil pressure of the engine discussed simply because it's near the end of the line for the oil!

Just rambling,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 18th 2010, 9:30 pm

I don't know either Dave, I just hope mine is done right. Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 18th 2010, 11:17 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:Dave I guess that would be an option. Not that I know about these things, but may I offer another view? The Accusump feeds oil when the pressure near the orifice it's attached drops below the Accusump's contained pressure ... does this sound correct? If this is correct, the Accusump would provide oil to that area AFTER a pressure drop. If we route an oil line from the front, side oil pressure orifice which exhibits equal (or very near) pressure as the oil pump produces, would a constant flow of oil to the rear of the engine attached to the fore mentioned orifice be an improvement, without the lack of oil that would "trigger" the Accusump?

As for the gauge location, I would prefer the gauge at a location that would receive the oil later. Not that this is an indication that the front of the engine's oil pressure is better or worse, it just seems the place to monitor oil pressure of the engine discussed simply because it's near the end of the line for the oil!

Just rambling,
Dave.

Dave ... you've been playing with Cleveland production blocks for to long and it has warped you brain, LOL.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 19th 2010, 6:51 am

Randy of Roseville wrote:
Dave ... you've been playing with Cleveland production blocks for to long and it has warped you brain, LOL.

Randy, you're probably correct, but is there a difference between the infamous production Ford 335 series engine and the production Ford 385 series engine relative to the flow of pressurized oil ?

LOL back!
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next