BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what is the best type of break in oil??

+10
LivermoreDave
jones
the Coug
Lem Evans
gowie
BOSS 429
bb429power
richter69
whatbumper
fastford600
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

what is the best type of break in oil?? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is the best type of break in oil??

Post  the Coug March 27th 2010, 8:37 pm

Jon we have been to the track and had a water leak and went to the pits and drained the water completely and filled it with Methonol put the hood back on and fired it up drove it to the lanes and did our regular deal WITHOUT any water in it at all, got thru the run driving down the return road the engine cooled back to 135 degrees and went to the pits checked it out and fueled it up and ran another round....we made a total of 6 rounds that day with no water in it won the race and went home fixed the water leak and filled it with water and ready for the next set........

you see farmers run their Irrigation engines without water till they pick up water from the well which takes a few minutes. so what is different? running it till heads are warm just seats the rings faster and let it cool and fill with water and run it.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

what is the best type of break in oil?? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is the best type of break in oil??

Post  Big block fox 339 March 28th 2010, 7:55 am

Can you run vr1 with a hyd flat tappet cam??? that's What my motor guy said to run I wasn't sure
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power March 28th 2010, 9:59 am

Big block fox 339 wrote:Can you run vr1 with a hyd flat tappet cam??? that's What my motor guy said to run I wasn't sure
Oh yes, most definitely. That's what I used for my 351w. After the cam break in drive it around like normal for a short period of time. I just like to get the engine used to driving before I beat on it. I'm only talking about maybe 5 minutes max. But then get the rpm's up there while driving to get the rings fully seated. After a drive or two, it will be what I consider "fully broken in" step on it the next couple of drives too. Do this and you should be set. don't forget, the longer you break in the cam, the better. So run it for 30 minutes, no more is needed. 2,200-2,500 rpm's the whole time, keep it in that range the whole time. Very Happy
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse March 28th 2010, 10:06 am

only a few min's
that is what i do my self i thoguth you mean gettin it to operating temp tham putting water in it
overlooked the cool down part sorry didnt have my glasses on
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 28th 2010, 8:42 pm

when we were running alky we didn't run any coolant either. Ever. Our block was dry. we put bearings in that motor at 534 passes just because we thought we needed to do something. we sold it on racingjunk to a guy that is still running it.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 28th 2010, 8:49 pm

as soon as it starts warming up where I dont need to heat the motor through the block heaters I'm giving it a shot.............I bet there's 35# at least even with the way I'm set up now.

I goofed one pass last time out, realized I never turned the wp on until I was at the et shack, when i did it might have jumped up 5*
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2