BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some help. Engine keeps getting too hot.

+10
rmcomprandy
billandlori
maverick
res0rli9
dfree383
bosshoss
bb429power
the Coug
whatbumper
dutchie
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I need some help. Engine keeps getting too hot. - Page 3 Empty Re: I need some help. Engine keeps getting too hot.

Post  torkair July 13th 2010, 2:43 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dutchie wrote:It is that obvious that it may be forgotten indeed, but they do blow the correct direction.

with all the swapping, i use water.

Also, water cools best, about twice as good as 50% water/glycol mix, and about 70% better as pure coolant.

YES ... water will cool the best however, adding SOME antifreeze/coolant will raise the boiling temperature of that liquid.

I use Propolene Glycol antifreeze/coolant, not Ethylene Glycol.
Propolene Glycol is ecologically friendly as it is bio-degradeable.

Defiantely didn't know that, good info!!!

BTW, when the 400 comes out let me know, my buddy might be needing a crank in September Mad
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

I need some help. Engine keeps getting too hot. - Page 3 Empty Re: I need some help. Engine keeps getting too hot.

Post  Notch 501 July 15th 2010, 2:18 am

I just figured my heating problem out on my 90 fox with a 501. the thermostate housing is higher than the filler on the rad locking air....installed an inline filler on the top rad hose now the temp will not go over 180 degrees....have to turn the fan off to get heat in the motor....changed the rad to a four core, installed a 16 in pusher, changed the restrictor 3 different sizes and all it was some air in the system...i hope this helps some one......i was getting a little grumpy.....all smiles now.....thanks for the ideas.....seen the filler on a pic of a motor on a members car cannt remember whos but thanks...... Very Happy
Notch 501
Notch 501

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchie July 15th 2010, 11:31 am

well, after all, i swapped the aluminum radiator back in, and poured thicker oil in. (20W60, Brega Classic).
What's to be noticed directly, is that the temp rises slower, and the hydraulic lifters don't rattle.
When going to work this morning, and when coming from work this afternoon with lot hotter weather, the temp. stayed at 180-185 degrees. So, the radiator is really barely needed.
The conclusion i can get from this, is that the thicker oil is way better for the hydraulic lifters, and that these have caused the hotter engine due not opening the valves enough.
Tomorrow i will leave for vacation, so we'll see if it holds this temperature, and eventually have added me a bigger temperature window.

Thanks for all the advices so far.

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 15th 2010, 1:03 pm

Glad to hear you got it working better!!

Have a great vacation.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey July 16th 2010, 6:53 pm

Alot of reading here, but one more thing to look at if it already hasn't been mentioned. Have someone work the pedal, rev up the engine, and look to see if your bottom radiator hose is sucking in. Maybe the support spring inside, worked it's way up or down, creating a soft spot. I had this happen on my old 70 Torino, and it drove me nuts. Driving at highway speeds it would heat up to 250*, but when I shifted to neutral and let it coast, it would cool right down. Good luck!
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3