BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace?

+9
whatbumper
TravisRice
BOSS 429
Wheelie58
TRUKPULR
Curt
bbf-falcon
richter69
bigjohn2007
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace? Empty if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace?

Post  bigjohn2007 Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:11

i see the aerospace is 750.00 for the kit and the moroso is 900.00 or so. what are the pros and cons with these 2 pumps?
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace? Empty Re: if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace?

Post  richter69 Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:22

Have had good luck with my Moroso 3 vane......been a damn good pump.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace? Empty Re: if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace?

Post  bbf-falcon Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:28

bigjohn2007 wrote:i see the aerospace is 750.00 for the kit and the moroso is 900.00 or so. what are the pros and cons with these 2 pumps?

What is YOUR purpose for it? From what i've been told on a BBF deal ,the only reason I would use one is if I were running Alcohol for the moisture purposes.jmo Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:43

If you're looking for the best pump, I would go with a Star. If you're looking at those 2 laying on your shop table, then I would go with the Moroso.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:53

I'm currently running aerospace three vane pump, and my Buddie has the Moroso 4 vane pump on his motor. His at 2000 rpm's pulls 15 # vacume mine at 2000 rpm's pulls 10# of vacume.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

if you were going to use a vacuum pump would it be moroso or aerospace? Empty Pumped up

Post  Wheelie58 Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 22:58

I don't have any experience with the Aerospace pump, but my 4-vane Moroso has been trouble free for over 3...maybe 4 years. I think that I am spinning it at 65% crank speed too.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 Tue 7 Sep 2010 - 23:25

bbf-falcon wrote:
bigjohn2007 wrote:i see the aerospace is 750.00 for the kit and the moroso is 900.00 or so. what are the pros and cons with these 2 pumps?

What is YOUR purpose for it? From what i've been told on a BBF deal ,the only reason I would use one is if I were running Alcohol for the moisture purposes.jmo Very Happy
i am spraying nos and it blowing the intake gasket out i have replaced them with gasket maker with a big bead and it still does it and i was told if i had a vacuum pump it would solve my problem.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 0:03

bigjohn2007 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:

i am spraying nos and it blowing the intake gasket out i have replaced them with gasket maker with a big bead and it still does it and i was told if i had a vacuum pump it would solve my problem.

Sounds like you need some help for sure Exclamation Are you running Evac tubes to the headers now Question

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 0:13

bbf-falcon wrote:
bigjohn2007 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:

Sounds like you need some help for sure Exclamation Are you running Evac tubes to the headers now Question
Yes
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 0:21

bigjohn2007 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:

its called detanating, your tune is off, if its right it wont do that, a vac pump will gain you power, it has on every engine we have tested, anyone tryin to make all they can should have one,even on a dry sump they help
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 5:35

Moroso. I used the 4 vane which is a dry sump setup on my wet sump engine. Just limit the vacuum with a bleed off valve to where you would like to run it which in my case was around 12 inches. The Aerospace won't pull that kind of vacuum even if you run it 1 to 1. There is more to just bolting a vacuum pump on and running it. Low tension rings, engine sealed real good , vacuum gauge to monitor the high rpm pulls, etc. Watch the bearings also, too much vacuum can and will wipe them out. There is power to be made but you have to work with it.

JMO
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 8:41

I had a Moroso on a car before and currently am running an Aerospace. On my motor it CAN pull 18-20psi but I have it limited to 12. I'm not sure on you bb guys if it would be able to do that though.

I think I would go with a GZ Motorsports pump or the Moroso.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 12:46

are they a tool to check the vacuum with if so where can i get it and part#
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 12:47

bigjohn2007 wrote:are they a tool to check the vacuum with if so where can i get it and part#

You can usually get a vacuum gauge about any auto parts store.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Outlaw5.0 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 19:51

I would use the Moroso. The best on the market in my opinion is the Star.

Outlaw5.0

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 20:00

whats on it now for evacs? if its blowing out seals with proper venting I'd fix the issue besides putting a bandaid on it...........and yes a vac pump is a good thing to have in the right application.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 20:04

richter69 wrote:whats on it now for evacs? if its blowing out seals with proper venting I'd fix the issue besides putting a bandaid on it...........and yes a vac pump is a good thing to have in the right application.
what kind of issue you think i have?
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Wed 8 Sep 2010 - 22:41

bigjohn2007 wrote:
richter69 wrote:whats on it now for evacs? if its blowing out seals with proper venting I'd fix the issue besides putting a bandaid on it...........and yes a vac pump is a good thing to have in the right application.
what kind of issue you think i have?

dont know, depends on if your evac system is restricted, just seems like a lot of crankcase pressure.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 5:56

Not to jump your thread here, but I run a Aerospace unit and at 6000 rpm I only pull around 7 inches of vacuum. I've tightened down on the spring pressure relief valve, but still no more vacuum. What do you guys think the problem may be?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 8:16

Aerospace pump itself.

Years ago I tried everything. Would not pull the vacuum. I tried running the pullley set up 1 to 1 and the vacuum went up maybe 2" total. I did this AGAINST Aerospaces recomendations after probably a dozen phone calls of getting nowhere. They told me if I did that the pump would be junk and probably come apart .............. my reply was I spent a ton of money for a vacuum pump system to PULL vacuum ............... in my opinion I already have a junk pump. What really got me was they would not look at the pump, I was willing to send it back but they were persistant that it was something I was doing. I bought a Moroso, put it on and had to limit the vacuum because it pulled to much. I put the pump on racing junk and e-mailed them the link to the add with the explanation in the add of what I thought of the aerospace pump annd tech support .................. The pump sold within a day to someone in Florida for almost the original purchase price with no questions asked. Did Aerospace buy thier pump back ???? I don't know. Wink

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 13:01

TravisRice wrote:Aerospace pump itself.

Years ago I tried everything. Would not pull the vacuum. I tried running the pullley set up 1 to 1 and the vacuum went up maybe 2" total. I did this AGAINST Aerospaces recomendations after probably a dozen phone calls of getting nowhere. They told me if I did that the pump would be junk and probably come apart .............. my reply was I spent a ton of money for a vacuum pump system to PULL vacuum ............... in my opinion I already have a junk pump. What really got me was they would not look at the pump, I was willing to send it back but they were persistant that it was something I was doing. I bought a Moroso, put it on and had to limit the vacuum because it pulled to much. I put the pump on racing junk and e-mailed them the link to the add with the explanation in the add of what I thought of the aerospace pump annd tech support .................. The pump sold within a day to someone in Florida for almost the original purchase price with no questions asked. Did Aerospace buy thier pump back ???? I don't know. Wink
that good info!!!
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 14:22

the aerospace pump is too small for most big engines. Too much air to evacuate. You have to seal everything up better with a vacuum pump including the valve covers and intake. The bigger moroso pumps are a LOT bigger (pull more air not size) than the aerospace pumps. I will say that with a bbf especially if it was 572 or bigger I would have a dry sump setup on it or put the biggest pump I could find and then a good relief valve.

Also with the aerospace pump you HAVE to have good rotors. They really don't last that long. We replaced ours and had to open up the relief quite a bit.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 17:29

So does this pump need to be sent back or what? Can they go back through it? I need 10-12 inches
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 18:01

1Bad91 wrote:So does this pump need to be sent back or what? Can they go back through it? I need 10-12 inches

If it's pretty new I would try to get them to send a rebuild kit to try. The carbon fiber rotors wear and result in vacuum loss. The pump as with all vacuum pumps need oil too. Whether it's from the vapor from the valve cover or poor a little in the pump itself. Running them dry will result in premature wear.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 18:51

It looks new but it's about 5 years old now
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next