BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

+8
Blue Oval Forever
512Fairlane
bluef100fe
rmcomprandy
richter69
Lem Evans
DanH
jbozzelle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. Empty Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

Post  jbozzelle November 7th 2010, 2:40 pm

Guys,

I can't get this damn thing to idle worth a crap while in gear? I don't think it's the converter dragging it down either. Any ideas on setting the idle to it to NOT drop so much rpm when it's put in gear? I got it about 2 turns out right now. Seems to like that. The butterlfys are both set the same as far as the idle is concerned too... Any ideas? idles at about 1300 and drops to about 850 and wants to die...

Other than that it works fine on the track... Car ran a best of 11.76 last night. 466, .600 lift cam, stock cleanup D0VEs, Victor, C6, 3.73s, drag radials, etc...

Last edited by jbozzelle on January 6th 2011, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated title)

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. Empty Re: Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

Post  DanH November 7th 2010, 4:46 pm

close the secd's . adjust the pri.'s

DanH

Back to top Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. Empty Re: Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

Post  Lem Evans November 7th 2010, 4:58 pm

A lean condition can make the engine unhappy when it sees the load from the conv.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 7th 2010, 5:30 pm

I'll try resetting the idle with just the primary side. Any downside to not using the secondary side for idle?

which air bleed is the idle circuit? This is a 3 circuit deal.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 7th 2010, 5:58 pm

Id set all 4 corners like it was intended to be. Idle mixture sounds lean.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 7th 2010, 7:08 pm

Does the distributor have a timing curve...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 7th 2010, 11:24 pm

There is mechanical advance in the dizzy, no vacuum. It's an MSD. It's about 14* at idle. Comes to 32 total at or before 3000 rpms.

The idle mixture is already out at 2 turns. I'll try tweaking them some more. What do you guys usually do? I find the stumble/change point with the idle screw and then back out 1 or 2 full turns. Sound good?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe November 8th 2010, 2:28 pm

John.... Is there a reason you want it to idle at 1300 in neutral? Id try to tune the carb at a closer to in gear rpm like 1000. Otherwise, id also try some more initial timing. You might have the throttle blades open too far and are getting into the transition circuit . That can cause the deal to seem lean also. Air bleeds closest to adjusting screws are idle circuit or furthest away from the vent tube. Hope this helps.
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 8th 2010, 2:47 pm

jbozzelle wrote:There is mechanical advance in the dizzy, no vacuum. It's an MSD. It's about 14* at idle. Comes to 32 total at or before 3000 rpms.

The idle mixture is already out at 2 turns. I'll try tweaking them some more. What do you guys usually do? I find the stumble/change point with the idle screw and then back out 1 or 2 full turns. Sound good?

I would check to see if there is some ignition timing coming "in & out" between those two RPM levels; it shouldn't change. If it does then you will need to rectify that situation for the idle to act right...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 8th 2010, 4:29 pm

sounds like it needs light springs and the black bushing.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. Empty Here is a link showing all the good advice I received when we were on the other site.

Post  512Fairlane November 8th 2010, 11:47 pm

I've been running the 8896 for 2 years now and I've gotten a lot of help from people on here and the other forum. Here is a link to the other forum where Lem, Randy and company gave me a lot of good advice. I recommend locking the timing out and installing a start retard box. I fought the same issues with idle speed. Locking out the timing along with these changes made a huge difference. http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121852
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane November 8th 2010, 11:54 pm

512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane November 8th 2010, 11:56 pm

And one more from a couple of weeks ago. It runs good now but I'm still going to try a few more things. https://www.429-460.com/engine-tech-f2/need-carb-tuning-advice-again-8896-holley-1050-t7133.htm?highlight=8896+1050
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 9th 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks guys. I does seem like a timing issue. Idle is real touchy and jumps around a good bit with just the smallest of changes to the mixture or throttle blades. I'll check the springs and bushings to see what's in there.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 9th 2010, 11:53 am

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks guys. I does seem like a timing issue. Idle is real touchy and jumps around a good bit with just the smallest of changes to the mixture or throttle blades. I'll check the springs and bushings to see what's in there.

Just to be clear, you want NO mechanical advance to happen till just above your highest idle speed in nuetral.
Then, as fast as possible, short advance curve after that.

As has been said, locking out the timing with "start retard" capability is the easy way.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 9th 2010, 12:04 pm

Gotcha. I'll check it to see if it's in the curve while in neutral than falls out of it when in gear. I'll lock it with some wire just to check if I have to.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 9th 2010, 1:17 pm

Putting the light silver springs in it is the cheap way.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 9th 2010, 4:08 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Putting the light silver springs in it is the cheap way.

To get full advance at idle?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 9th 2010, 4:44 pm

To get enought timing at idle to make the engine happy and all in by 2,000 rpm.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 9th 2010, 5:52 pm

OK, thanks. I'll mess with it later this week and see what I can come up with.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever November 10th 2010, 1:35 am

John,

I have my Dizzy here that has the advace pined. Your welcome to try it to see if it make a difference.
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 10th 2010, 11:55 am

Thanks. I'll call you if I need it.

PS. I heard your old car has found a new home...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever November 10th 2010, 7:14 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks. I'll call you if I need it.

Yea Is it to the same guy that got the motor out of it?
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 11th 2010, 1:08 am

Blue Oval Forever wrote:

Sure is. I just got home from helping him pick it up and bring it home. I still remember when that car was at Jeff's many moons ago getting the cage done...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever November 11th 2010, 10:31 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
Blue Oval Forever wrote:

Sure is. I just got home from helping him pick it up and bring it home. I still remember when that car was at Jeff's many moons ago getting the cage done...

Glad to see it is still around' Wish I could have afforded to buy it back. The motor is still in the garage on the stand.
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next