BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

+8
Blue Oval Forever
512Fairlane
bluef100fe
rmcomprandy
richter69
Lem Evans
DanH
jbozzelle
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. - Page 2 Empty Re: Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

Post  jbozzelle November 12th 2010, 1:09 am

I'll make sure he takes good care of it. It's a shame that it's had a bowtie shoved in it though pale

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle. - Page 2 Empty Re: Possible oil pressure problem. Need help. Still can't get this thing to idle.

Post  Blue Oval Forever November 13th 2010, 2:15 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I'll make sure he takes good care of it. It's a shame that it's had a bowtie shoved in it though pale

Yea no Joke!!!!!!!! You know if I would have bought it back it would NOT!!!!!!!!
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 6th 2011, 12:39 pm

Guys,

I'm dragging this back up. Haven't had enough time to fool with the dist to see if it is the cause. I want to lock out the advance and see what happens. But my friend did advance the timing a little and it idled much better for about a day. Idled fine in gear, hot or cold, didn't matter. Ran fine.... for about a day. Nothing has moved but now it's back to poping through the carb when trying to feed it some gas while in gear. It did not do this right after we advanced the timing...

I'm at a loss on this one.

The oil pressure seems high as well. What do you think is the max pressure needed to pump up a set of hyd lifters to the point they hang the valves open? That's one thought as to what may be wrong. Valve springs look good, carb works perfectly fine on another engine too.

We're at the point of pulling this engine out and doing some serious digging.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 January 6th 2011, 7:48 pm

What kind of plugs are you running?
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 6th 2011, 8:37 pm

are you runnen msd? if so check the wires to be sure you dont have them crossed.it'll do some crazy s**t if they are.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 6th 2011, 10:26 pm

He pulled the valve covers today and all the rockers are tight. Oil is fine. No metal in the filter. He had to move the dizzy to get it to light off. One it did it's back to it's old tricks of popping, etc... But, at some point it'll run OK.

I told him to pull the MSD dizzy, coil and box and bring it to the local ignition shop to get checked. It's running the same Autolite number plugs. But they are black... I'm leaning towards the ignition now.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs January 7th 2011, 2:52 am

Sounds like a coil problem. Both my mustang and firebird had similar problems. Both tested with major flux on the primary side. Never missed a beat when not in gear. Atleast at first. I hope you get your grimmy out of there.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane February 3rd 2011, 11:32 pm

[quote="jbozzelle"] He had to move the dizzy to get it to light off.

Make sure the mechanical advance isn't sticking. When you take the cap off the rotor should turn slightly then spring back easily. My msd shaft thru the distributor would corrode if it sat a few months then it would lock the mechanical advance and not want to start. Had to use silicon spray to loosen it up and then keep working it back and forth. If it got real bad I'd have to take the distributor apart and polish the shaft. Finally got fed up and locked the thing out and bought the retard box. Works great now.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 3rd 2011, 11:47 pm

Thanks. He's out of town working for a few more weeks. I'll check it when he gets back in.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  waypastcrazy February 5th 2011, 3:06 pm

Wonder what the vaccum is in park and in gear?dips on cam fluttering valves open?
waypastcrazy
waypastcrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2