BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice!

4 posters

Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice!

Post  torinocobra429scj November 23rd 2010, 9:37 pm

When I start to pull it will it break lose from the C6 pretty easily? I have everything loose (all bolts out of tgradually and engine mount bolts removed) but it still seems in there pretty snug!
Not exactly sure where to hook at since the heads are already off and in the shop getting a valve job! Do I put 4 of the head bolts on the holes as far as they'll go and pull from there or what? I'm using my neighbors backhoe to pull the motor because I sold my cherry picker several years ago...
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Re: Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice!

Post  schmitty November 23rd 2010, 10:28 pm

Cool, I've used everything from an overhead chain hoist in a tree, a tractor loader, boom truck and a forklift, but never a backhoe. There are dowel pins in the back of the block to locate the trans and they can be a pain in the butt to get loose sometimes. You may need to try a pry bar to get the trans off of the engine. Just use the head bolts, if you accidently bend one they are easy to get. I doubt that you will bend one though. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Thanks!

Post  torinocobra429scj November 23rd 2010, 11:32 pm

I've been waiting on a reply forever it seems like! Ha Ha
I think I'll go out in the garage and see if I can separate the engine and tranny at the dowels now! I'm using the front bucket on the backhoe so it's pretty much like the tractor loader you have used...
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Re: Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice!

Post  res0rli9 November 24th 2010, 12:44 am

You can pull the trans with the motor. just lift it out slow with big drain pan under the tail shaft untill its all drained then lift it on out.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 November 26th 2010, 6:46 pm

Did you remove the 4 torque converter nuts?
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Been working some OT at work so not work on my motor...

Post  torinocobra429scj November 26th 2010, 8:23 pm

Trying to get some money for Christmas presents so I volunteered for a couple of extra days OT at work! Not to mention I the only heat I have in my garage is from a dual burner propane heater and it's really cold here in KY right now! Thanks for asking though...

I did talk to my neighbor who's a big Ford man and used to be a mechanic at the local Ford garage! He's got several 427s in his garage on engine stands and showed me some things about those motors like the medium riser and hi riser heads and such! He's going to come over and have a look at my engine and take some measurements of my cylinders to see if it is gonna need bored! I'm really hoping it will just need freshened up on the bottom end! I have a feeling my valve job is gonna cost me a lot more than I planned!!!
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to pull the 429 CJ...Need advice! Empty Pulled my engine today! Thanks guys

Post  torinocobra429scj November 27th 2010, 10:00 pm

Got the nuts off the flywheel / torque converter and it came right out...

I have it on the engine stand and was thinking about taking the oil pan off to see what kind of shape the bottom end is in. What would I really be looking for? I am planning on having new bearings and all put in the bottom end anyway so should I just wait and let the race shop take it apart? I'm really hoping I won't have to have it bored
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down