BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner reloading

+8
res0rli9
hillbillyerv
stangr8cr
f250mike
ThndrChkn
dfree383
schmitty
jones
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Beginner reloading Empty Beginner reloading

Post  jones February 8th 2011, 9:43 am

Thinking of reloading my own ammo, mainly 45 colt and 308. I have about 4hrs of experience with reloading and don't know where to start.
As with all things I suspect there is different brand loyalties. If I have to buy equipment I want to purchase long lasting and accurate. Can you suggestion a good book, from what I can tell there has to be some type of bible or manufacturers guidelines.
So, where do I begin?

Thanks
Josh Jones

jones

Back to top Go down

Beginner reloading Empty Re: Beginner reloading

Post  schmitty February 8th 2011, 9:48 am

I have the Hornaday reloading manuals, and think quite highly of the way they present the information. As far as equipment, RCBS, Hornaday, and Lee have "kits" that can get you going. A good scale and press are a good start, then get the dies that you need. Develop a routine to use while reloading and don't allow distractions of any kind. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 8th 2011, 10:13 am

I have an old RCB Rock Chuck single stage press, works awsome for low volumn reloading and was cheap and simple. Don't get caught up in the "Have to Have a Big Progressive Loader" crap unless your planning on doing a very large volumn of shooting.

Their are a whole bunch of reloading books on the market. Get a few different one and try the different loads and powder untill you find what works for you.

Watch .308 brass military stuff will require different loads than commercial brass, the cases are thicker and create more pressure.

Also get you a good case trimmer, tumbler, good calipers and scales. Then have at it its fun !!!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 8th 2011, 10:50 am

I can't add much to what was already said, but I have a brand new in the original box RCBS 505 balance beam scale if you're interested. They're $90.00 new, I'll sell it to you for $45.00 shipped.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 8th 2011, 10:53 am

Who are some good names in the book world. I have been looking around and none of the names really ring a bell. There seems to be a million books, DVD's out there on how to do the samething.

Normally I look for someone that has been in the buisness and stays current with new developments. I might be getting back into competitive shooting if I can't get the funds to finish the project. I had a good friend that has since passed on that use to supply me with rounds and guns for shooting. I just left it up to him to reload everything, I just pulled the tigger.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 8th 2011, 11:10 am

The Hornady manuals are very informative.
http://www.hornady.com/
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 8th 2011, 11:17 am

Thanks, I will have to do some more reading.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike February 8th 2011, 10:25 pm

Jones I have a single stage RCBS and as noted works well for small volume reloading. At 1 point I was reloading .44 mag ammo for myself and 3 buddies and .243 ammo for myself and 2 buddies.
With that said, if you have buddies like mine buy a dillon progressive press Smile

I did make a deal with them though. Buddies bought all the supplies and I got my ammo for the labor.
I made out ok with that arrangement but should have bought the progressive setup.

mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 9th 2011, 10:44 am

This is why I want to start reloading. I am going broke and not having near the fun shooting with a limited supply of ammo. Back when I had someone else suppling me with hundreds of rounds I shot until my shoulder or wrist just couldn't take any more. Now days I go out and shoot 50-100 rounds and feel like I just got started.

One day I had to test some .308, semi autos for a sherifs department and put 1,000 rds in one day. I thought that was a lot back in my youthful days. Thats been 18 years ago! LoL doesn't seem like that long ago, wow I have really been out of the sport for a while!

Any body remember the "black talons", wish I still had a case of those.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr February 9th 2011, 10:53 am

I'm also gonna start reloading myself here in the next couple of months. I only shoot 100- 150 rounds an outing. Someone told me when I asked if it was worth reloading....." sure is but you don't save any money, you just shoot more" Makes sense I guess Very Happy I'm going with an RCBS starter setup and I'll buy a digital scale.

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 9th 2011, 11:32 am

jones wrote:Any body remember the "black talons", wish I still had a case of those.

I got a case of 9mm one's if you think you need them.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 9th 2011, 11:37 am

dfree383 wrote:
jones wrote:Any body remember the "black talons", wish I still had a case of those.

I got a case of 9mm one's if you think you need them.....

Na, maybe just for collection sake. I just remember when they came out all the hoopla they caused and how people was making them out for what they wasn't.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  hillbillyerv February 9th 2011, 4:44 pm

Just know your weapon and its limits or you could get this

Beginner reloading Th_gun4

Beginner reloading Th_gun3

Beginner reloading Th_gun2

Beginner reloading Th_gun

bought some reloads from a bud that were a tad to HOT affraid luckily i was a little skirt n had on a blue mule glove, held pistol above head and squeezed her off and HFSBatman Sad oh yea it is .44mag formerly the most powerful handgun in the world Twisted Evil
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 9th 2011, 6:15 pm

Shocked Dang Erv, that looks nasty. I'd say more than just a TAD too hot.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 9th 2011, 6:18 pm

Couldn't take the Heat Sad

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 9th 2011, 6:19 pm

Impressive! I have never seen a failure like that from a hot load. Most of the time just a bunch of extra flash from the barrel.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  hillbillyerv February 9th 2011, 6:33 pm

jones wrote:Impressive! I have never seen a failure like that from a hot load. Most of the time just a bunch of extra flash from the barrel.

affraid should have been there, sounded like my 500 mag , and felt like it broke my wrist but no damage, im just thankful my son was not standing just to my right like so many times before, if i had been lookin down the sights i would have had the 1/2 inch adj. rear sight burried in me head affraid made me gun shy fer a while and i only shoot factory loads in the 1 i bought to replace it. if you own a interarms Virginian Dragoon do not shoot Hot rounds in it!!!!!!!!!!! the guy i got the ammo from said i shoot em in my Super Blackhawk all the time, and paid for half of my new one Shocked i think the first round set off the second and real glad i only had two in it Shocked
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 16th 2011, 12:33 pm

hillbillyerv wrote: if you own a interarms Virginian Dragoon do not shoot Hot rounds in it!!!!!!!!!!! the guy i got the ammo from said i shoot em in my Super Blackhawk all the time,

There's a HUGE difference between a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and an Interarms Virginian Dragoon. The strength of the Ruger firearms, (rifles & pistols) is "almost" unequalled. My dad has been shooting rifle loads in his Ruger Blackhawk since he bought it back in the mid-late 70's. Like Erv said, just do your research on the firearms you're gonna load for. And ALWAYS use good disgression.

When I load for our rifles, I look for the best of both worlds. Meaning, I look for the loads that produce the best accuracy at maximum velocities. This is because we hunt with the same loads, and velocity is paramount to retained downrange energy. 'Cause, at 700 + yds, accuracy is very important, but you also need enough velocity to deliver that knockout punch when it gets there. That and a bullet that has the highest Ballistic Coefficient available for the particular round you're shooting. For instance, if you're gonna use your 308 for hunting "and" punching paper, I would look at the Hornady 178gr. A-Max bullets. They're made for match shooting, but they also work just fine for hunting. If you're not comfortable shooting a target bullet for hunting, then try the 180gr Hornady SST. Still has an excellent B.C. and are scary accurate. If you would like more info, just pm me, or call me. I'd be happy to help you out. Wink
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  zbob February 16th 2011, 9:29 pm

for what it is worth ruger firearms are cast by using the lost wax method. no forgings, no billet, etc. bobn

zbob

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge February 16th 2011, 11:09 pm

The first book I bought was the ABC's of reloading some very good info in there. Then a Hornaday reloading manual, and lee turret press kit. Since I have made some of the best rounds I've ever shot. Best group so far is .258" from a factory Howa .243. I don't load much probally 200rds a year but I like the lee so far.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 17th 2011, 1:14 am

zbob wrote:for what it is worth ruger firearms are cast by using the lost wax method. no forgings, no billet, etc. bobn

Yes, it's called investment casting. Their bolt action rifles are considered one of the strongest in the industry. And their pistols, well they kinda speak for themselves.

ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 17th 2011, 7:00 pm

I have always been a S&W, Marlin person but I am really enjoying this Lewis Machine & Tool .308 . It's on the heavy side but it's a blast to shoot. (Which I seem to own nothing but heavy guns, light guns just don't feel comfortable.) Allthough I do have a hammerless, Ti frame .38 the wife keeps.

Looking at a FNH .45 to add to my collection next.
Collection is also missing a DE 50 (I know they aren't very pratical but what collection isn't complete without a movie gun! Laughing )

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 17th 2011, 7:45 pm

jones wrote:I have always been a S&W, Marlin person but I am really enjoying this Lewis Machine & Tool .308 . It's on the heavy side but it's a blast to shoot. (Which I seem to own nothing but heavy guns, light guns just don't feel comfortable.) Allthough I do have a hammerless, Ti frame .38 the wife keeps.

Looking at a FNH .45 to add to my collection next.
Collection is also missing a DE 50 (I know they aren't very pratical but what collection isn't complete without a movie gun! Laughing )

Jonesy I would not give two hoots and a Freakin holler for S&W....... I was with a good friend years ago with a Brand New S&W 44 Mag and S&W ammo and shot it a few times we stopped to reload it and the second shot all HELL broke loose when the dust cleared and we looked The freakin Gun Blew out 3 live loads and the cylinder was in many pieces....Needless to say the gun shop got it back and we got the money back and will not have another S&W.......... Have one blow up on you like that and I promise you will be leary of their stuff
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike February 17th 2011, 9:12 pm

I have a mixed bag of brands.
S&W,Ruger,Remington,Winchester,Marlin,Stevens,Rossi,etc.
I'm sure there have been catsrophic failures with all the above and many more brands. Until someone can prove these failures manufacturer defects and not ammo or operator error, I'll keep shooting and owning mine.

I'm not gun shy about my opinion Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 17th 2011, 9:34 pm

I like the Ruger Black Hawk series, I just haven't bought one. The only revolver I had had problems with was an old 22. If you stood to the right of the gun a small sliver of lead would sheer off the bullet and hit you. It was just wore out and time to be retired.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next