BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine.....

+4
Lem Evans
richter69
c.evans
jbozzelle
8 posters

Go down

Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine..... Empty Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine.....

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2011, 9:31 pm

Tried priming the engine today. I have 75 lbs of pressure on the gauge. The gauge is plumbed into the rear of the block. I have a few rockers leaking, but all of them aren't. I primed for about 30 minutes, rolled the engine over a few times, etc.... Only about 2 or 3 will trickle oil. Any ideas? Trying to fire this thing in the AM if I can get it figured out...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine..... Empty Re: Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine.....

Post  c.evans February 26th 2011, 9:33 pm

Continue to roll the engine over by hand. What it is,,,,,is that some of the pushrod oiling holes getting covered over by the position of the cup in the rocker arm.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine..... Empty Re: Having trouble getting oil to the top of engine.....

Post  richter69 February 26th 2011, 9:36 pm

once they all get to movin up and down there will be oil...........

those lifters use a proximity hole................not a direct feed.

It will be fine...............unless you got some pushrod holes or rockers plugged......which I doubt.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2011, 9:41 pm

Thanks. Will do it tomorrow. Need to throw the second battery in there...

I didn't realize the pushrod hole was covered during the rocker's sweep. Is it just a cam lift thing? That's good to know. I definitely had it out the 2 rear rockers, so all should be good right? I'll definitely roll it over tomorrow while priming...

All the rockers and rushrods were clear when installed. So the lifter basically gets pressure onlt when it sweeps through the bore? Not all the time?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 26th 2011, 10:06 pm

Lifers?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2011, 10:17 pm

Solid rollers from Cam Motion. Link bars toward the middle?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 26th 2011, 10:50 pm

Toward the middle is correct...my point is....not all lifters meter oil the same.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 26th 2011, 11:02 pm

Morels.......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 26th 2011, 11:56 pm

with a sold roller the only oil goen to the top has to get by the lifter bore to the little hole on the lifter body.thats why if they're in backward it'll shoot oil out in the floor and loose a bunch of psi.it will take some time and a good drill to get it done,and turn the motor a few times like others have said.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Kramer February 27th 2011, 8:46 am

What block are you using?

Frank
Frank Kramer
Frank Kramer

http://www.seasideaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 27th 2011, 8:50 am

Lifers, Morels, what the hell?

If I can make a suggestion, instead of rotating the engine with the starter, why not rotate it manually about 90* at a time with each "priming" of the oil pump with your drill. This may help later on when your wondering what the hell is wrong with your starter!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 27th 2011, 10:20 am

Good idea Dave! Thanks guys. Hope to have it fired today.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 27th 2011, 10:27 am

Frank Kramer wrote:What block are you using?

Frank

2 bolt block. D1 casting

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 February 27th 2011, 2:42 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Good idea Dave! Thanks guys. Hope to have it fired today.

I like to run the priming drill continuously with my left hand, while slowly turning the crank with my right. Theory being just in case those 90* stops aren't quite in the ideal spots to get the oil thru. With the plugs out & mitts like mine, it's cake Laughing
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down