BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

God bless the good ol 7.3 powerstroke lol !!! Maybe Fabio will explain this

+23
maverick
cool40
whitefield
Barney
jbozzelle
69F100
bbf-falcon
QtrWarrior
John Myrick
NOS42
stangr8cr
Lem Evans
61coon
Copperhead
69bluehotrod
rmcomprandy
richter69
torino501
Dave C.
the Coug
bruno
blown86hallet
5pointslow
27 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

God bless the good ol 7.3 powerstroke lol !!! Maybe Fabio will explain this  - Page 6 Empty Re: God bless the good ol 7.3 powerstroke lol !!! Maybe Fabio will explain this

Post  Lem Evans May 10th 2013, 8:41 pm

Barney wrote:I think people expect to much of all of these trucks. Everyone wants a truck that hauls like a semi, is as comfortabke as a bently, is as fast as a sports car, off roads like a jeep, and leaves the carbon footprint of a prius. Lets imagine if ford brought back the 7.3 . It would be down 150 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. Have towing capacity 6-8k less than its competitors. It would be noisier and wouldn't pass emmissions. Ford would sell like 8 of them because it wouldnt be competitive today.sure they could get the power up and clean it up, but then it wohldnt be as reliable as they are known to be. I think the 6.7 is more than capable. Do they have issues? They all do. Heres an example. I was in Williston ND. Yesterday and was getting fuel. Across the lot was a 6.7 f350 srw pulling a 53 ft wedge with 3 diesel pickups, a bobcat skidsteer with a excavating bucket, and a industrial diesel generator. I figure it was around 41k in tow. I pulled up and was talking to him for a minute. The truck was fiflthy and the interior was already roached. He said he hauls like that everyday the truck had 60k on it had been through 3 sets of tires already. That guy will be the first to cry warranty when his everything fails and say 6.7s are junk.

Long before I ever saw a 6.9 deal....I had a saying....10% of the owners have 90% of the problems.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

God bless the good ol 7.3 powerstroke lol !!! Maybe Fabio will explain this  - Page 6 Empty Re: God bless the good ol 7.3 powerstroke lol !!! Maybe Fabio will explain this

Post  cool40 May 10th 2013, 9:49 pm

i just got a new set of tires for my 05 f-250 5.4 GAS! Very Happy it had the original b.f. goodrich with 52.000 on them. its always hauled and pulled anything i needed it to. it aint the fastest thing on the road but i would'nt take a damn diesel for it. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon May 10th 2013, 11:16 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Companies need to build cars like JetBoatBob builds engines.They always run great,never break down,everyone is always impressed,and the customer is always happy. Very Happy

That Bass Boat Bob........ He's a good guy. Laughing
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 10th 2013, 11:31 pm

Bass Boat Bob does a good job Very Happy

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 11th 2013, 8:39 am

Long before I ever saw a 6.9 deal....I had a saying....10% of the owners have 90% of the problems. [/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Some of you guys may remember my red 2003 F450 4wd crew cab. It was a much dreaded 6.0L diesel...an EARLY ONE at that. For the last few years I ran it between 1000 and 1500 miles a week. It sometimes pulled equipment trailers and normally ran 8 hrs. at a stretch at 75 mph. It had no hotrod tune since I figured it was a truck, not a racecar. It pulled like CSX, was as comfy as anything I've ever had and I recently sold it with 242,000 miles on it. It still runs like new for the guy who bought it. While I had it, I kept clean synthetic oil and filters in it, and TREATED IT AS IF I WANTED TO KEEP IT, INSTEAD OF TRYING TO PROVE THAT IT WAS THE P.O.S. THAT EVERYONE SAID IT WAS.
I replaced the following parts (other than normal maintenance): 1 fuel injector pressure sensor, 1 HPOP, and replaced the oil cooler twice. I think the last one is a big deal because a plugged or failed oil cooler will turn it into a "deep fryer" for everything else...injector o-rings, turbos, etc., etc. Jon may remember the couple of times I called him for advice.
The truck itself was an absolutely great unit. It had no rattles and everything still worked like new, from the power windows and locks to the stereo to the 4wd. The leather interior was still beautiful. When I washed it, it would turn heads. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a Cummins diesel except you have to accept the rattling piece of shit they wrap it in.
I'm done. And I miss that truck.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 11th 2013, 1:42 pm

richter69 wrote:6.4 = pile of shit

now put a 7.3 di in the 08-010 chassis with a billet radiator and now you got a winner............. Basketball
imo the 6.4L is a great engine. its FORD'S shitty radiators,hoses,fuel filter separator design and horse shit engine protection software that gave that engine a bad rap. the 6.0L bad deal all around. stc fittings,dummy plugs,and the famous head gaskets...!!! the 6.7L the first 2 yrs so far the haven't impressed me. im seeing to much stupid shit with these engine that never saw with the first three.

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 11th 2013, 3:01 pm

I guess if you take all the emission bs off of them then the oil doesnt get broken down as fast and kill rocker arms, turbo bearings, all the stuff that leads to thier death. I will say the 6.4 has exceeded the 6.0 in providing me work and most of it major.

get rid of the dumbass orings in the radiator hoses that makes assy at the plant faster so they can make more coin off every unit they sell then the coolant leaks that cavitate and ruin front covers goes away, and the lower egr coolers that result in bent #8 rods goes away also.

get rid of all the eng protection that leaves you on the side of the road with your family and 5th wheel on a vacation....... but then when the dumbass customer ignores the water in fuel light he kills the fuel system.......

a lot of it is the lack of maint and such, this one im shortblocking now could have been avoided if the dipshit would have not drivin it to its death after the rocker arm came off..... this same guy borrowed his brother in laws 6.4 after his took a crap and that truck is getting 8 injs, both pumps and fuel rails etc.

all the stuff i see is broken, I will say the 6.4 6.7 will not take the over abuse the 7.3 6.0 trucks will.

I have had stuffin here that was no doubt the customers fault as he either didnt maintain it or drove it further than it should have been with issues...... they always get submitted to Ford with such finding and 99 percent of the time we are told to continue the repairs on Fords dime. I will say if you have a Ford dieselcare extended warranty I have seen claims get turned down and lack of oil changes will do it everytime....... customer usually gets pissed but its thier own fault so be it.

I have another 6.7 in here now thats getting all 8 injs, hpp, lift pump etc etc and its on them as someone put the def in the fuel tank........ what is scary is what these guys do for a living and they cant figure out which hole to put the correct fluid in........ mainly gas and oilfield trucks....... Scary.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick May 11th 2013, 3:33 pm

You can't fix stupid
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  pipedobber May 11th 2013, 3:57 pm

Jon, out of curiosity, how frequently do the maintenance intervals need to be based on what you are seeing? I've been changing oil and filter at 5k, air every other oil change and fuel at ford's recommended interval. All ford oil and filters. Trying to maintain it as well as possible to keep it working. Only complaint is the radiator issue that they seem to not be able to fix.

pipedobber
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney May 11th 2013, 4:59 pm

I don't trust any of the factories oil and fuel filter setups . I run amsoil dual bypass oil filter setup and a sk triple fuel filter setup on my duramax. The gms also have a better regen process that is downstream of the engine so it doesn't dilute the oil with fuel. And if you put def in the wrong spot with a gm you shouldn't be allowed to drive since those idiots put the filler under the hood on the passenger side and is the most iconvenient possible place if you buy bulk at a truckstop since its on the wrong side .not to mention the looks you get stretching the hose under your hood. Jon is right take away the egr and dpf and it would be a huge improvement.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 11th 2013, 5:44 pm

pipedobber wrote:Jon, out of curiosity, how frequently do the maintenance intervals need to be based on what you are seeing? I've been changing oil and filter at 5k, air every other oil change and fuel at ford's recommended interval. All ford oil and filters. Trying to maintain it as well as possible to keep it working. Only complaint is the radiator issue that they seem to not be able to fix.

with the regen crap I wouldnt go over 3k

honestly Id delete that crap, the oil will thank you.

also use the motorcraft oil filters, not those aftermarket filter/cap combo jobs they are a joke.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 11th 2013, 6:51 pm

richter69 wrote:I guess if you take all the emission bs off of them then the oil doesnt get broken down as fast and kill rocker arms, turbo bearings, all the stuff that leads to thier death. I will say the 6.4 has exceeded the 6.0 in providing me work and most of it major.

get rid of the dumbass orings in the radiator hoses that makes assy at the plant faster so they can make more coin off every unit they sell then the coolant leaks that cavitate and ruin front covers goes away, and the lower egr coolers that result in bent #8 rods goes away also.

get rid of all the eng protection that leaves you on the side of the road with your family and 5th wheel on a vacation....... but then when the dumbass customer ignores the water in fuel light he kills the fuel system.......

a lot of it is the lack of maint and such, this one im shortblocking now could have been avoided if the dipshit would have not drivin it to its death after the rocker arm came off..... this same guy borrowed his brother in laws 6.4 after his took a crap and that truck is getting 8 injs, both pumps and fuel rails etc

I have had stuffin here that was no doubt the customers fault as he either didnt maintain it or drove it further than it should have been with issues...... they always get submitted to Ford with such finding and 99 percent of the time we are told to continue the repairs on Fords dime. I will say if you have a Ford dieselcare extended warranty I have seen claims get turned down and lack of oil changes will do it everytime....... customer usually gets pissed but its thier own fault so be it.

I have another 6.7 in here now thats getting all 8 injs, hpp, lift pump etc etc and its on them as someone put the def in the fuel tank........ what is scary is what these guys do for a living and they cant figure out which hole to put the correct fluid in........ mainly gas and oilfield trucks....... Scary.
totally agree ford didn't do them selves any favors by putting in literature the 100k coolant(restricted oil coolers) the7-10k oil change intervals.with regen oil gets thinned down,takes out the rockers,lifters turbo"s.the excesive oil growth takes out either 2,4,6,8 pistons. now that ford is recommending 30wt oilin the 6.7L I see no hope for it if you rely on the message center to tell you when to change your oil.

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 11th 2013, 6:59 pm

richter69 wrote:
pipedobber wrote:Jon, out of curiosity, how frequently do the maintenance intervals need to be based on what you are seeing? I've been changing oil and filter at 5k, air every other oil change and fuel at ford's recommended interval. All ford oil and filters. Trying to maintain it as well as possible to keep it working. Only complaint is the radiator issue that they seem to not be able to fix.

with the regen crap I wouldnt go over 3k

honestly Id delete that crap, the oil will thank you.

also use the motorcraft oil filters, not those aftermarket filter/cap combo jobs they are a joke.
amen...

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 11th 2013, 7:04 pm

ive got the delete tunes on my 2010 and run a conservative 90 hp tune(by todays standards)... will pull anything and get 20 mpg. I maintain the shit out of it,4k oil changes,12-15k coolant flushes ect. and I run optilube on every fill up,to help the pump out. got 80k on it. hadn't touched it.need tires though.

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  pipedobber May 11th 2013, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Jon, I will increase maintenance frequency on it. Really wish I could get by deleting it, but with the DOT breathing down our backs, that will be another problem I'm sure. Thanks again, Chris

pipedobber
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller May 11th 2013, 10:03 pm

Probably going to get my ass chewed for this, but you cant beat a Cummins...trucks are not the best but the motor is a hell of a runner.

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney May 11th 2013, 11:14 pm

I used to change my oil evry 4k when I got the filters I switched to schaeffers 9000 which I use in cold months and I use 7000 in warmer months I started testing my oil whe it was new at 2k intervals and statted increasing intervals according to test results. I now change my oil at 10k intervals and yhe addition of the filters the oil stays pretty clean and always tests well. My oil has never had more than trace fuel in it. I would loveto delete the egr and dpf but as has been said the DOT has been crazy lately and its not worth the fine. I get roadsided a minimum of once a month so I'd get dinged for sure.if I changed my oil at 4k intervals I would be changing it weekly. It gsets changed about every 3 weeks at 10k intervals as it is. I change the allison external filter every oil change and both together with fluid every 40k as well as fuel filters at the same time. I flush the coolant at 40 as well. And change the diffs and t case at 60k. I change the the air filter every other oil change and rotate the tires every oil change. My first set of tires lasted 85k. I use Howes every fill up to compensate for ulsd lack of lubricity. Instead of a ton of guages I use a inexpensive code reader on the view data setting to monitor egt, oil temp, and other stuff. So far so good. My truck is almost exclusively highway towing for long periods and is never idled more than 20 mins . I'm shooting for 6-700k and there's quite a few I'm around from all 3 brands over that. As far as the cummins. The cummins guys hste the 6.7 cummins motor. They all run pre 07 5.9 6speed manuals.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 12th 2013, 9:00 am

It doesn't help that the $4/gallon crap that they sell us is being passed off as "diesel fuel". IMO, fixing the sh#% that goes in the tank is a necessity.

Side note: I know a contractor who recently replaced a tired and beat up 7.3L F350. He went with the Dodge Cummins this time...pulls equipment trailers with Bobcats and backhoes and the like. I bumped into him iin a restaurant the other day. He wants his clapped out 7.3L back.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 12th 2013, 10:41 am

It seems that a lot of the complaints are NOT with the engines itself mechanically but, with the needed hang-ons and computer cystem needed to make the engines compatible with federal government mandates.

Maintenance ... maintenance ... maintenance ... you can't just turn the key and drive 'em for 30,000 miles without some kind of work being done.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 12th 2013, 11:14 am

rmcomprandy wrote:It seems that a lot of the complaints are NOT with the engines itself mechanically but, with the needed hang-ons and computer cystem needed to make the engines compatible with federal government mandates.

Maintenance ... maintenance ... maintenance ... you can't just turn the key and drive 'em for 30,000 miles without some kind of work being done.

So true. The engines themselves are pretty tough. All the peripheral B.S. makes them a maintenance nightmare these days. You really hafta be sure you need a diesel before you buy one.

Kinda makes one long for the days of mechanical fuel injected diesels that were slow...but reliable as an anvil.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 14th 2013, 6:54 pm

bump for a pile of shit to work on........ 6.7 of course....
Im sure Adams ears were burning this afternoon........ Mad
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 15th 2013, 10:40 am

Lem Evans wrote:Bruno, please lock this religious thread. People are worshiping the 7.3 and it's just a matter of time before they become radicalized and start killing people.

cyclops

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 15th 2013, 12:37 pm

by God......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 15th 2013, 7:39 pm

7.3L Jahadi.

affraid

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 15th 2013, 9:40 pm

I get to do the new tsb on one..... yeah the all 8 exhaust valves on the left head.... for 14 hrs.... good grief...!

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next