BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost to have Head work done?

+10
kjett
res0rli9
brad
IDT-572
Lem Evans
windsor
dino
rmcomprandy
dfree383
FordMudBogger15
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cost to have Head work done? Empty Cost to have Head work done?

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 20th 2013, 8:14 pm

This is a dumb/rookie question, but how much does is cost on average to have your heads lift .850? I've never had a set done before. I know all machine shops are different but just looking for a rough estimate.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Cost to have Head work done? Empty Re: Cost to have Head work done?

Post  dfree383 August 20th 2013, 11:10 pm

You need to explain your question a little more? What is the concern about .850 lift? What are you building?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 20th 2013, 11:56 pm

On a set of Trick Flow Powerport A460 @360 heads with the Trick Flow tunnel ram an hat setup. I wanted to know a rough estimate on cost to have the heads and intake ported to the max which is .850, I hope that was a little more clear this trip haha.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 21st 2013, 12:22 am

Porting to the Max has nothing to do with .850 valve lift.

Its about the flow of the ports thru out the valve lift from about  .200 to over .850 lift.

Flow is typicaly measures in CFM @ 28" of depression.

Do a little reading to help you understand porting.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0610phr_cylinder_head_porting/viewall.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

I would recommend you get with an established head porter, there are a number of them on this site and discuss you needs with them.

Charlie Evans, Randy Malik, Blake Cartwright, Brett Powel, Phillip Oakley and a number of others.

The cost of porting for "Max" flow can be very expensive and involves alot more than just grinding on ports, it also involves valve shapes, valve jobs, combustion chamber mods, intake porting, it can get very very involved in a max effort deal.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 21st 2013, 11:45 am

I think I made it sound a lot more complicated then I should of, I was reading some on a matching port and polish job on heads and intake and the price varied from $500-1100. I just didn't know what to expect on price. I was told by Lem Evans that I could get 453 cfm out of worked A460 heads at .800 and that was what I was looking for a price range on, and also would like the matching work done on the TFS tunnel ram.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 21st 2013, 12:06 pm

FordMudBogger15 wrote:I think I made it sound a lot more complicated then I should of, I was reading some on a matching port and polish job on heads and intake and the price varied from $500-1100. I just didn't know what to expect on price. I was told by Lem Evans that I could get 453 cfm out of worked A460 heads at .800 and that was what I was looking for a price range on, and also would like the matching work done on the TFS tunnel ram.
IF you are getting them valve jobbed and assembled, also; not just ported ... $1,100.00 is certainly a fair price.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dino August 21st 2013, 12:44 pm

FordMudBogger15 wrote:I think I made it sound a lot more complicated then I should of, I was reading some on a matching port and polish job on heads and intake and the price varied from $500-1100. I just didn't know what to expect on price. I was told by Lem Evans that I could get 453 cfm out of worked A460 heads at .800 and that was what I was looking for a price range on, and also would like the matching work done on the TFS tunnel ram.
i think those heads that lem told you the flow was about 453 what the A460 powerport 360 head which cnc ported when you buy it i believe. what are you looking to do? you can buy those heads all assembled and ready to run

dino

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 21st 2013, 1:00 pm

Like Randy has said for a set of well ported and assembled heads the $1100 is very fair, For just port matching the lower end of you range is fair, for full porting the upper end + depending on where you want the head porter to draw the line, + more if you want a steep valve job or heavy chamber work.

Its not hard to spend a whole lot of money chasing every last CFM on a max effort head and intake combo.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor August 21st 2013, 1:08 pm

Lem was quoting you those flow numbers as they come from TFS ready to run. That's a lot of head for what most guys want to do!
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 21st 2013, 1:10 pm

That was a direct reference to what is published by TFS for their 360 cnc stuff. Others have more flow than that....depends on valve job and other things.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 21st 2013, 3:21 pm

So I can buy the heads straight from Trick Flow and they will flow 453 cfm? Sorry for being so hard headed guys, I'm just a youngster and am still learning my way around a motor.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 21st 2013, 4:52 pm

FordMudBogger15 wrote:So I can buy the heads straight from Trick Flow and they will flow 453 cfm? Sorry for being so hard headed guys, I'm just a youngster and am still learning my way around a motor.
Depending on the application that package may not be what you need.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 21st 2013, 11:14 pm

Take a little time and post up what you have on your mind as far as your build goes. You will get very good advice on how to achieve your goals at the most economical route.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 22nd 2013, 12:55 pm

Well as far as heads and intake go I'm gonna run the Power Port 360 heads with the Trick Flow tunnel ram/hat set up. I plan on running forged 557 rotating assembly. I'm just stuck on how good the Power Port heads will flow right out of the box from Trick Flow or if I will need to get work done to them in order to flow in the mid to high 400 cfm range. I'm sure that some ones already answered my question but like I said "I'm a rookie trying to go into a pro field" and don't quiet understand all the terms.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  brad August 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm

if your looking for an all out max effort a-head I believe Charlie has a set on the for sale section if there  still avalible . I think what everyone is saying is what are you going to be doing with the motor. what kind of rpm range and power level are you looking to see. its cheaper in the long run to do it all right the first time as to change things around because your parts don't really match each other or your intended goal. brad

brad

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 August 22nd 2013, 9:28 pm

The motor will be going in a mud racer/bogger. I am looking to turn around 8 or 8500 rpm's. The intended goal is to be between the 850-1000 horsepower range. I know the TFS heads are capable of it just wanna know if they'll preform them numbers right out of the box. I wanted high cfm/flow numbers from the heads.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 22nd 2013, 9:45 pm

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 23rd 2013, 9:20 am

FordMudBogger15 wrote:The motor will be going in a mud racer/bogger. I am looking to turn around 8 or 8500 rpm's. The intended goal is to be between the 850-1000 horsepower range. I know the TFS heads are capable of it just wanna know if they'll preform them numbers right out of the box. I wanted high cfm/flow numbers from the heads.
If you are looking to make 850-1000hp, then that goal is not that difficult with fairly out of the box A heads. My 488ci A headed motor made 840hp @7100 with a mild cleanup of the ports just to remove casting flash and a polish/smoothing of the chambers. I have the 340 18 bolt heads. Put together a larger bottem end and you'll easly be in your goal. As I've learned on here, sometimes less is more when porting. It all needs to work together! Very Happy 

If you want to exceed your goal, buy them heads and intake Charlie has already set up, then build your bottom end to match and have at it!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 23rd 2013, 10:23 am

Or just buy my whole engine and go whip Karl's butt. Laughing 
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 23rd 2013, 10:32 am

schmitty wrote:Or just buy my whole engine and go whip Karl's butt.  Laughing 

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 23rd 2013, 11:16 am

It's sad, but true. One of these days I'll be a baller and get a big boy engine like you. Until then, I'll continue to play with my little motor and beat up on the chevy boys Very Happy 
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 23rd 2013, 11:22 am

kjett wrote:
It's sad, but true. One of these days I'll be a baller and get a big boy engine like you. Until then, I'll continue to play with my little motor and beat up on the chevy boys Very Happy 
None of us need to set our goals too high.............. Setting a goal to be like Schmitty is is unobtainable for mere mortals like you and I.................Laughing 
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 23rd 2013, 11:26 am

^^Truf! Them farm boys have all the dollas that make the girls holla! Suspect 
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 23rd 2013, 11:43 am

IDT-572 wrote:
kjett wrote:
None of us need to set our goals too high.............. Setting a goal to be like Schmitty is is unobtainable for mere mortals like you and I.................Laughing 
That is like setting a goal to have super human powers...ain't gonna happen, so we must lower our goals to a cheap look alike ssuperman costume...

kjett wrote:^^Truf! Them farm boys have all the dollas that make the girls holla! Suspect 
Shoot, ya'll know dem farmers is jus po folk. Just ask them, they'll tell ya.. Laughing 
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 23rd 2013, 12:56 pm

One would be surprised at the $/hp of this engine. Wink 
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next