BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford Thunder thoughts and ideas.....

+47
Larry Williams
jbozzelle
bluef100fe
IDT-572
Pro98Mustang
Moodyblues
mstngfreak
scottke
dave d
Doug Rahn
Dave C.
maverick
yellowhorse7
KY JELLY
Race Ready Fabrications
Gary Varney
79ford pickup
Oakley Motorsports
bruno
738drvr
PanaVet
Dave De
dfree383
lghting94
psfracer
crittersf1
342g
56Tbird
AZFairlane
schmitty
69F100
bbf-falcon
Larry T
Lem Evans
richter69
70FB
83-88T-Bird Guy
valleydawg
dr's wife racing
5pointslow
D. Sea
rmcomprandy
jasonf
Wes Littrell
whitefield
cool40
QtrWarrior
51 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Ford Thunder thoughts and ideas..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ford Thunder thoughts and ideas.....

Post  richter69 June 9th 2014, 9:23 pm

too busy gettin tattoos and breakin' feet........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Ford Thunder thoughts and ideas..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ford Thunder thoughts and ideas.....

Post  Larry T June 9th 2014, 9:35 pm

i had intended on being their but things didn go my way if I had it would have been a crap shoot.so I went testing Friday night and found 2 bad 20 dollar parts that would have put me in the trailer.

I like the heads up pro tree racing I like the idea of tnt early then qualifying later in the day and first round 1hr before dark Wink 

you guys that like bracket racing have at it.......as for me that ship has sailed and in done with it.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 9th 2014, 9:37 pm

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:
Wes Littrell wrote:And to add something that might upset the so called real racers that it's all about the payout. If that's the reason your racing I think your missing the point, it's called having fun. Very few people will ever pay for their racing habit with winnings, so I say you only live once so you better enjoy it.

^^ well said !

It was good meeting you Wes. You sure looked like you were having fun there.                                                                                                      

Hope you have better luck in the future with getting those bye runs  Wink 

I was hoping to get to the money round to cover my tow bill, but the fun I had  and meeting more of the board members here was worth the price of admission.
I put over 30 passes on the Bronco between Friday night's race, the Ford bash, and the Sat. night program.      

The most I have ever made on one weekend.  Very Happy
.         I had a great time Alan. Loved the Bronco/Truck. I think I made over twenty passes on the black truck and on the two woodys.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 9th 2014, 9:38 pm

Mike,
It seems almost everyone has their own excuse for not being there and to them it is the most reasonable reason that could possibly ever be.
The ONLY way to actually improve attendance is to make the event a PRIORITY in the minds of people. ATTEND it ... race vehicle or not.
I wish I knew how that could be done.

I was at a "Goodguys" event last year, hundreds of people, some who came from thousands of miles away just to rub elbows and be personable and share a weekend of their lives. It seemed that hardly anybody even cared about the so called race other than the amount of fun it would provide.
People there seemed to mostly enjoy the Nostalgia cars going down the track and puttin' on a show.

Again, I wish I really had an answer as to how to get to that point.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T June 9th 2014, 9:50 pm

and as a added note we all have some chevy,mopar or other brand friends.maybe it should read a ford race but all is invited?

it dosent matter who or what brand is beside me just that they are enjoying them selves as I am.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 9th 2014, 9:53 pm

I think the point that people like Mike, Randy and people like myself are trying to make is that this race is about family and good friends getting together making some passes(sometimes a lot of passes) and just relaxing and having a good time. This isn't some $10000 serious all out race. I understand that things can happen to anyone and everybody has their priorities, but if you want to come hang out and just enjoy the great people, food, and wear your race vehicle out,then come to this race and support it before it's to late.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 9th 2014, 11:06 pm

Hell,I have excuses just like all the rest. But,one thing for sure is,I missed one hell of a enjoyable time. You guy's that say,i'm not into your bracket deal,OR the payout isn't enough,Or another race was just an hour down the road.You guy;s are missing the point. I've been to big events,even won a big event,but I can tell you that the high I had from winning the big event doesn't begin to compare to the small event that just happened.Unless you've been there,it's just hard to explain. Maybe DaveDe will explain,I think this was his first Bash.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 9th 2014, 11:31 pm

I sure would like to attend one but this year my funds was spent out on all the upgrades to the Ranger maybe next year I will ne able to make it even if it is just visit with everyone.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty June 9th 2014, 11:52 pm

I'd love to make it sometime, but there is only so much a guy can do.  One of these times I'll make it.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane June 10th 2014, 12:34 am

OK Rob, maybe if I make it one of these years you can hitch a ride with me.

Now, I have another idea.

Invite all the brands, Ford, GM, Chrysler and maybe the foreign cars if we need to round things out. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

All the brands race in their own group, until one is the winner, then we have some sort of a round robin to crown the king ofd the hill, with a trophy and a payout. Lesser payouts to the individual winners.

It could work, and would certainly get the car count up.

Just an idea, feel free to modify as needed.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird June 10th 2014, 7:10 am

The way we have this race set up, your buddies with other brand racecars can all come and race Friday night and Saturday night, just not Saturday during our FORD race.The track runs their regular programs around this race.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 10th 2014, 7:15 am

US60 on fri night after our day of test and tune has their regular program with all brands that you can jump in and sat after the ford race they have a street tire race. So there is plenty to do racing other brands if you want. I think opening this up to other brands would defeat the purpose of the whole event. It's about us ford people hanging out and having fun. I understand that a lot of people can't afford to drive halfway across the country. There is probably no way I could travel a whole lot farther. I think my point has always been that with the thousands of people on this forum there is bound to be a lot more that are within the distance of coming. All in all though the ones that do show have become a lot like part of the family, so maybe the best thing to do would be lower the entry to like $50 for the weekend to race to make it more affordable and let the payout be whatever it ends up based on car count and go from there. Kinda like a gamblers race. For me bringing three trucks with two tow rigs and paying $100 entry on each is pretty expensive. Maybe lower entry might mean more cars, who knows.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 10th 2014, 7:16 am

Sorry to repeat what you said Dan. You beat me typing Very Happy 
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  342g June 10th 2014, 8:39 am

I'm sorry, I promise I will be there next year, unless I die first,  Sad My car is about done, so lets have a do over in Sept. or Oct.  Very Happy 
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 June 10th 2014, 9:20 am

I've missed it two years in a row now. All I could think about over the weekend was that I should be there. I don't even have a car ready yet but one day I will. Just getting to hang out with everybody makes the weekend worth while.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 10th 2014, 10:32 am

342g wrote:I'm sorry, I promise I will be there next year, unless I die first,  Sad My car is about done, so lets have a do over in Sept. or Oct.  Very Happy 
Harold come to the bracket nationals there in oct. I for one plan on being there. Maybe some of the others could show and hang too. With three days of racing for $100 for all.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  psfracer June 10th 2014, 11:05 am

Ok, I did show up 2 years ago at US43 so I believe I have at least earned the right to speak up, even though I live on the west coast:

1)  Have it later in the year, when the weather is better (cooler), and you do not have competing events
2)  How about having it at a track like Beach Bend (Bowling Green)?  Nice track, and we could have both 1/8th and 1/4 mile races.  I called this track and it was surprisingly affordable.
3)  If later in the year is not possible, how about night races?  We rented out the track once at Famoso in August, during the day it was 105+ degrees, but at 2am it was in the high 70s.  
4)  I agree that it is really about meeting people and other board members.   But you will have more show up if you get some prize money.  (Personally I wouldn't care, but I know there are those that do care).
5)  Post the date well in advance so people can plan for it, those with cars down have a date to shoot for, etc.   But refer to #1 when choosing the date.

Now, with all of that said, you have already done better then I have--because on another forum I have tried to get a board event/race set up, but in the end everyone complains that its "too far" and it doesn't happen.  There are people from all across the country, even Canada, that are members--so no matter what track you choose, there will be those that always say its "too far".
psfracer
psfracer

http://www.psfracer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow June 10th 2014, 11:51 am

i guess being from Mass im a fly on the wall but i can say

The shake down at Englishtown NJ was very good , being in OCT cool air and was just enjoyable to be there towards the end of the season .

Im looking forward to making the trip to the bash when i finish up some work on the house and car #1 is my house right now ...still 25 years old and have a bit on my plate right now owning a house and doing everything

just an idea is you a make a race not ...just ford or Ford vs chevy
Make it Ford vs the world or open field of makes , i still think the ford guys will hang together and everyone will still have there click . Thats if ya need more cars

One of the biggest draws i have seen up here is at MIR in maryland the Import vs domestic event know as the WORLD CUP .......was like being at a NHRA pro event .

At the end of the day , friends sharing the same interest and seeing each other is pricless vs big payouts ect .
Randy malik summed it up pretty good in his post .
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 June 10th 2014, 11:55 am

I live 40 minutes from this track and unfortionatly I wasn't able to make it Friday during the day due to work but I did get to show up for a little while that evening and talked to a few members. Saturday I had to be a farmer and work in the hay fields so I didn't get to attend. I hope next year I actually have a car together and can bring it to the race but who knows what will happen between now and then. I think that the poor economy and high fuel prices are keeping some from being able to make it to the event and don't think that is going to improve much for a while if ever so everyone has to make that personal decision. If you could schedule next years event now and start promoting it now so any who have to schedule vacations around it to come can do so that might help a little, also maybe as was said earlier combining this and a tech seminar type deal would help maybe get some suspension guru's to come help with car setups, engine guru's to help tune cars at the track and so on. enough of my babbling carry on.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 10th 2014, 2:58 pm

If you want more than a regional type crowd to show..... Plan ahead..... Get a track that's easily accessible, has facilities around it and is known.

Offer biggest payout possible.....

Advertise, advertise, advertise

I myself am not motivated by payouts or big time events.... I show at the Bash to hang with friends.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell June 10th 2014, 6:37 pm

Truthfully it's probably best just to be happy about the way it is. One place or the other will always be more convenient for some people. Some people race for big payouts , some for fun. Really it would be nice to get the car count up, but with the crowd that shows we always have a great time. I say everyone's welcome and if you want to come join us and have a good time great if not no big deal. I think moving it to some big fancy facility would ruin the atmosphere myself. Gateway International is an hour and a half drive and I will drive right by it to go elsewhere. I'm all about family myself and them sort of places are not. I think what I'm trying to say is everybody's different, but if you try to change from the way things are you end up losing what this is all about. Having a good time, making passes, learning from others and maybe getting a deal on some parts.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 10th 2014, 7:02 pm

This was my first time out to any BBF bash. When I arrived at the track I was not impressed. Friday evening I realized that the track madeup for its short comings by our club and the people that run the track.
Now planning for the future there must be other groups like us that are struggling to put it together. If we could partner up with another group and race against that group at a better track there would be more participation? We need a number of each that would make it practical for track rental. This would be easier on the organizers where the work efforts could be split on both sides. We could even pit on one side of the track.
I can say this when I live in Michigan and not organize but looking at the participation dropping every year something will need to be done in a radical way or its going away on its own in spite of the fantastic work done by the organizers.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 10th 2014, 7:07 pm

psfracer wrote: Ok, I did show up 2 years ago at US43 so I believe I have at least earned the right to speak up, even though I live on the west coast:

1)  Have it later in the year, when the weather is better (cooler), and you do not have competing events
5)  Post the date well in advance so people can plan for it, those with cars down have a date to shoot for, etc.   But refer to #1 when choosing the date.

Now, with all of that said, you have already done better then I have--because on another forum I have tried to get a board event/race set up, but in the end everyone complains that its "too far" and it doesn't happen.  There are people from all across the country, even Canada, that are members--so no matter what track you choose, there will be those that always say its "too far".

I believe the weather at US60 this weekend was about 76 degrees and mostly sunny with a slight breeze both Friday and Saturday.
As for competing events ... it is the week right before the Hot Rod Reunion so some people used this chance, (an all day test & tune with three races to choose from or all three), to get their vehicles dialed-in just right.

Anyone more than 1,000 miles away; I would say that not being there is excusable by anyone's standards.

As Freelander said ... having hotels and facilities NEAR the track is almost a must to a LOT of people. I think that would help some.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 10th 2014, 7:48 pm

You know, I feel that because I am not actually affected race-wise that maybe I shouldn't say stuff.
However, at the last Fall "All Ford swap meet" in Columbus, Ohio we had our booth right next to Jeg's.
We had a two day ongoing conversation with the woman there. It just so happened that her father owned a dragstrip, "Pacemaker" in Ohio. (I don't even know exactly where it is).

She commented that they are always looking for small groups to cater to having their events so, I am sure a lot of smaller tracks do feel the same way. It doesn't need to be somewhere where the owner is a buddy.

I know quite a few racers who's wife, girlfriend, family and friends of the family have never been to ANY race with them so, being nearby to amenities like good motels/hotels with a pool or a gym and restaurants abound, (both sit down and fast food), even small stores for shopping all kinds of stuff, would certainly help with drawing a more eclectic crowd to this event.

Over that weekend we discussed a lot of idiosyncrasies which smaller tracks can offer and that Pacemaker even has a series of small races in cooperation with another small track, (Kilkare is in Xenia, Ohio).

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  PanaVet June 10th 2014, 8:10 pm

Fun Ford Weekend in Memphis was the the same weekend as the get together at US60. We could piggy back at one of their events in the future. They run a True Street (30 mi drive and eliminations) Box and No Box and car show. I've been to a couple and enjoyed them.

http://funfordweekend.com
PanaVet
PanaVet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next