BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer

+11
Curt
QtrWarrior
Doug Rahn
David Cole
powerstrokeace
342g
dadof384k
69F100
BigDave65
dfree383
jbozzelle
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer Empty Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer

Post  jbozzelle March 11th 2011, 1:52 pm

Looking to buy a trailer in the next few months. I have a 32 footer lined up to use to get the dragster to the Bash and back. If we can figure out what we really want we might have a new trailer before the Bash. My Dad seems to be set on a 48' footer.... Give me some opinions please. Right now it'll need to haul a dragster, golf cart and the associated racing crap you bring with you. Down the road maybe the dragster, golf cart, a Fox Mustang and all of the crap.....

Will be using a F350 single wheel to tow with as well. Is a dually really necessary for a gooseneck?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer Empty Re: Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer

Post  dfree383 March 11th 2011, 2:10 pm

A 350 single wheel will get-r-done, just stick with in the ratings of the truck.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer Empty Re: Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer

Post  BigDave65 March 11th 2011, 5:48 pm

You may be OK with the 32 ft. but I don't think I would want to pull a 48 ft. with a single wheel truck.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 March 11th 2011, 6:50 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Looking to buy a trailer in the next few months. I have a 32 footer lined up to use to get the dragster to the Bash and back. If we can figure out what we really want we might have a new trailer before the Bash. My Dad seems to be set on a 48' footer.... Give me some opinions please. Right now it'll need to haul a dragster, golf cart and the associated racing crap you bring with you. Down the road maybe the dragster, golf cart, a Fox Mustang and all of the crap.....

Will be using a F350 single wheel to tow with as well. Is a dually really necessary for a gooseneck?

John when you do get a trailer Pit Pal makes a dragster flap that work good with dragsters it like 64" wide and 60" long made of aluminum and they have adjustable bumpers that works great with it.If it was me I would go with a dually with a 48' goose neck the single tire might want to sway and want have the stoping power as the daul wheels will.They make a kit you can convert yours to a daully I am not on my pc tomorrow afternoon I will look and see it I can find the link for you off mine.It comes with the fenders and new brake drums and wheels everything to do it with.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dadof384k March 11th 2011, 7:01 pm

john, blowing a rear tire with single rear wheel and any size trailer is a bad deal. lol todd

dadof384k

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 11th 2011, 7:06 pm

John, just throw'er on top of your p/u like a ladder, Laughing Laughing j/k
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace March 11th 2011, 7:07 pm

What ever you do DO NOT GET A BEAVER TAIL!!!!! thats very tough to get a dragster in and out. Also get a hydraulic jack up front your going to need it. also get a dragster dolly as well to help get you car in and out. I have a 48ft and 2 dragsters and a 66 mustang. I can haul the dragster and the door car on the ground or both dragsters as well. I also fit a 4 wheeler in as well.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole March 11th 2011, 8:48 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:What ever you do DO NOT GET A BEAVER TAIL!!!!!

True,

Most trailer companies have a "dragster package" The floor is flat with a slight incline or has a very slight beaver tail spread over a longer distance so the car won't high center itself. In addition, the floor itself is lower. In most cases you can jack the nose slightly and just drive the car in using the door ramps. No dolly needed.

If you buy used and can't get the "dragster package" you can take a look at some of the various ramp systems out there. The best I have seen are Buffaloe Speed Ramps. Spendy, but worth it. The dragster model folds out to 9' and will let you get the car over the beaver tail. My trailer is a 28' with a very steep beaver tail. With these ramps I can just jack the nose a few inches (don't even unhook from the truck) and drive right in. I may sell mine after I verify I can load my door car w/o dragging.

The ramps:
http://www.buffaloespeed.com/Pro_Dragster_Ramps.html
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 11th 2011, 9:28 pm

John, Mike hauled that pipe rack plus Deann's rack and a four wheeler in a 32 ft trailer with loads of other equipment. To get the angle he wanted, he would back the truck onto some ramps, put wheel chocks under the door then some short ramps on the the door.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior March 11th 2011, 9:49 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:John, Mike hauled that pipe rack plus Deann's rack and a four wheeler in a 32 ft trailer with loads of other equipment. To get the angle he wanted, he would back the truck onto some ramps, put wheel chocks under the door then some short ramps on the the door.

What Doug said !! By the way..That 32" trailer will be for sale soon...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 11th 2011, 10:16 pm

John, I have a 30' trailer that is +1½' taller That makes it 8' inside. It is set up to haul a dragster, door car, 2 Jr's and a four wheeler. Yes, 4 race cars and a tow vehicle. It has full L shaped cabinets and a closet. I designed the layout back when we traveled a lot, and had the kids racing. Now it's just little old me and my digger I love you
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 11th 2011, 10:34 pm

Curt wrote:John, I have a 30' trailer that is +1½' taller That makes it 8' inside. It is set up to haul a dragster, door car, 2 Jr's and a four wheeler. Yes, 4 race cars and a tow vehicle. It has full L shaped cabinets and a closet. I designed the layout back when we traveled a lot, and had the kids racing. Now it's just little old me and my digger I love you

I need to see pics of this craziness!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 12th 2011, 12:01 am

It lays out really easy. I'll explain since I don't have any pictures with me. The Jr.s hang on the drivers side wall stacked on top of one another. The one in the front of the trailer has the rear tires sitting on the cabinet, the one under it has the rear tires on the floor. Both front ends have hoops up high on the drivers side wall that the front tires set in. The dragster backs in to the cabinet and sits on the curb side, the front end is lifted to the ceiling with a lift. The 4 Wheeler fits between the Jr on the floor and the dragster. The door car pulls in under the dragster. I know it sounds crazy. But I spent a week doing the math, and figuring out how to fit everything in. If you look, most trailers have a ton of unused space, it just in areas where there isn't a floor. Basketball

Trailer is 30'L x 8.5'W x 8'T
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 12th 2011, 12:04 am

Thanks Curt. Was the dragster supported at all in the middle of the chassis? Or just hanging from the nose and sitting on the rear tires?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 12th 2011, 12:09 am

It was supported under the seat, like it would be if sitting on the floor, just higher!
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 12th 2011, 11:28 am

Dang Curt, that is pretty slick.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 12th 2011, 9:55 pm

Thanks, but if I had it to do all over again, it would have a 24' Gemini dragster lift and would be 10' inside or a lift gate. It was built the same height of my old motorhome. My new coach is a little taller. Still happy with the trailer, just have a lot of spare air space. Suspect

Here is a picture with my old car. If you look real close inside the door, you can see the front hoop with the broom hanging on it.

Dragster guys.... I need opinions on a trailer Dragster
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 13th 2011, 9:38 am

I have a Dragster lift in my 34'. You can back one dragster in and put the frt. wheels on the lift,raise it up and roll another one in forward underneath. I'm selling the lift from mine to a friend of mine. They are pretty slick Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 13th 2011, 2:04 pm

Rick,

Do you have a 34' tag or goose?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 13th 2011, 2:06 pm

dadof384k wrote:john, blowing a rear tire with single rear wheel and any size trailer is a bad deal. lol todd

I know. I'd rather blow a rear than a front though! Too bad we can't have dual front wheels too!

What size trailer do you guys have?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 14th 2011, 10:12 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I have a Dragster lift in my 34'. You can back one dragster in and put the frt. wheels on the lift,raise it up and roll another one in forward underneath. I'm selling the lift from mine to a friend of mine. They are pretty slick Smile

Tag

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 14th 2011, 7:43 pm

Mine is a 32' bumper pull and they had a dragster stored in it when I picked it up. Depending on the length of the golf cart I am not quite sure it would fit with the L shaped cabinets. As far as dually I have to ask how often you are going to be pulling it? Sure a dually would be nice but so would a million dollars. Your F350 would be just fine if you are only talking a few times a year.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 15th 2011, 11:28 am

Jason

I saw your trailer when you stopped by my office one day. Where did you get it from? My concerns with a shally were for pulling a big gooseneck. My F350 SRW has pulled a friends 32 footer with no problem.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 15th 2011, 3:50 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Jason

I saw your trailer when you stopped by my office one day. Where did you get it from? My concerns with a shally were for pulling a big gooseneck. My F350 SRW has pulled a friends 32 footer with no problem.

I bought it at FB trailers in Jacksonville Fl. I don't think it was any kind of smoking deal but they are a small place and had good service. They also had what I wanted in stock so that is what got me. If I had time there are some smoking deals out there for slightly used units and that would be the best way to go.

http://www.fbtrailers.com/

Last edited by jasonf on March 15th 2011, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea March 15th 2011, 4:46 pm

You may want to check with Robbie Kuegel (T-Shirt guy from the BBF Bash) as he was trying to sell his trailer to me last year, with living quarters etc... He also runs a dragster.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next