BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam thrust plate options?

+15
Gregaust
68galaxie
Paul Kane
nitro717
bbf-falcon
c.evans
the Coug
bigjohn2007
BOSS 429
'65 T-BOLT
IDT-572
D. Sea
richter69
Lem Evans
Race Ready Fabrications
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cam thrust plate options? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cam thrust plate options?

Post  rmcomprandy March 18th 2011, 9:36 am

STEEL camshaft timing gears aren't usually compatible with a cast iron thrust plate just like steel camshafts aren't compatible with cast iron distributor gears.

On many occasions, I have surface hardened a production cast iron thrust plate and used a steel upper timing gear. Heat the plate until it is cherry red and drop it in a bucket of water. If a file cuts it afterward, the surface didn't get hardened.
Not the really correct thing to do but, it works in a pinch.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust August 30th 2011, 5:10 am

Paul Kane wrote:
68galaxie wrote:Would this mean any camshaft with an aftermarket steel timing set should use the bronze thrust plate?

Cheers
Gregaust wrote:So with a Solid flat tappet is a stock plate ok? or is the bronze plate better?
I have a spare roller pla. confused
In very general terms, the bronze plate is pretty much the no-brainer, one-size-fits-all option. But it's not a "must" in all cases.

Paul

Just finalizing my parts . Using solid flat tappet cam, Roll master timing set that has a thin Bronze washer between the steel cam gear and cam thrust plate ...
Best cam thrust plate to use ?? Stock one ok or best to go the bronze one ? Happy to get bronze plate if required . Does having the thin bronze washer make a difference ? Guess it will run on either plate ? Thanks

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Cam thrust plate options? - Page 2 Empty Thrust plate

Post  Gary Blair August 30th 2011, 10:06 am

I run the stock plates on iron or steel cams. As long as you are getting enough oil supply to the plate you won't have a problem. Plug the 1/4" hole in the #1 main area like the A-460 block does and it will direct more oil to the thrust plate, distributor gear, and shaft. Don't drill any holes in the top of the galley that oils the distributor shaft and gears. This just creates another leak.

I have a torrington plate that came with my Danny Bee that works well. I've not heard of any Danny Bee torrington failures.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2