BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Sump Question

+4
Nevs
TravisRice
c.evans
valleydawg
8 posters

Go down

Dry Sump Question Empty Dry Sump Question

Post  valleydawg December 25th 2009, 9:47 am

Building a new 598 and was leaning toward a Kaase (wet) oil pump set up. After thinking about it I may go to a dry sump set up for this engine. What are everyone’s thoughts about a dry sump vs. the cost? I have always used Kaases oil pumps with good luck but I have never had a 1,000 hp bullet (or spent this kind on $ on a motor) Also what will a good system run me? I would also like to use a two piece pan. This will put me behind building the engine but may be worth it. Thanks for the ideas and help.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Dry Sump Question Empty Re: Dry Sump Question

Post  c.evans December 25th 2009, 10:41 am

IMO a two piece oil pan is a total waste of money. Just run a good Stef's or Charlie's, or Moroso oil pan with a kick-out. Study the catalogs; Peterson, Moroso, Stock Car Products and etc., and educate yourself about the "system" and the plumbing required. The price can vary depending on if you buy stuff new or used and rebuild the pump yourself. Anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 I guess. Weaver Brothers has an excellent rebuild booklet that they send out with any repair parts that you order, and the principle is the same, regardless of brand.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice December 25th 2009, 11:35 am

I agree with Charlie, I would just make your crossmember removable, that way the pan can come out with the engine still in the car. Comes in handy if you want to troubleshoot, or just take a look at the bearings during a weekend going over. A 2 peice pan is just a good place for an extra leak. And if you decide to run a vacuum pump it is another area you have to worry about keeping sealed up. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg December 25th 2009, 12:52 pm

I was thinging a two piece pan would be nice at the track if you needed to check bearing, change a piston etc.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs December 25th 2009, 12:59 pm

valleydawg wrote:I was thinging a two piece pan would be nice at the track if you needed to check bearing, change a piston etc.

You've actually got that much time between rounds? I doubt it. Two piece pan=waste of money in my book. Your dollar though, spend it as you wish... Shocked
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg December 25th 2009, 4:31 pm

Probably not but it would still be nice in my shop for checking things out....but mainly the question was about a dry sump system. Worth the 2-3 thousand extra?

Last edited by valleydawg on December 25th 2009, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 25th 2009, 5:03 pm

IMO they are worth the $$ on an all out balls to the wall builds, but for most bracket engines they probably aren't worth it. In alot of cases the extra money would be better spent elsewhere. Keep in mind it does add weight to a car over a typical wet sump system, but can extend bearing life by controling the oiling much better.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 25th 2009, 5:07 pm

valleydawg wrote:Probably not but it would still be nice in my shop for checking things out....but main the question was about a dry sump system. Worth the 2-3 thousand extra?

After good rods, big roller lifters, custom push rods, shaft rockers, titanium valves, belt drive, good crank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yes.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs December 25th 2009, 6:02 pm

Curt wrote:
valleydawg wrote:Probably not but it would still be nice in my shop for checking things out....but main the question was about a dry sump system. Worth the 2-3 thousand extra?

After good rods, big roller lifters, custom push rods, shaft rockers, titanium valves, belt drive, good crank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yes.

X2 Exclamation
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 December 25th 2009, 6:09 pm

Since you said that this was a high dollar build, then I would definitely go with the dry sump set up. Why compromise on the oiling system on a high end engine? You will be glad in the long run that you did. As far as a two pc. pan, here is my 2 cents. I am currently building a 665 with a 4 stage dry sump system. It has a one pc Stefs pan. My old 557 has a Billet Fabrication 2 pc wet sump pan. I was having some bearing issues on the 557 & switched to the Billet Fab pan & a Titan oil pump. I was a little paranoid so I was checking the filter & dropping the bottom half of the pan to take a look at things. The two pc pan was really nice for that. It cost me $300 over the 1 pc pan. When I was getting my dry sump set up, I went with Carroll Carter's(C&C Motorsports) suggestion & got the 1 pc pan. He said unless I was going to run a class like ProMod where you have alot of between rounds maintenance he wouldn't put a 2 pc pan on it. I don't regret buying the two pc pan for my 557 but I don't know if I would do it again. Also after what I spent on the Billet Fab pan & Titan pump, I wish I had spent a little more & just gone with a dry sump.Hind site is 20/20. So IMHO, I would go dry sump with a 1 pc pan. Smile
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 26th 2009, 4:51 pm

pos+ of drysump...

lower engine
more room above carbs
better oiling
more power

neg.....

adds weight