BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEED ADVICE ON 472 MOTOR

+7
DJOHAGIN
kjett
rmcomprandy
richter69
bbf-falcon
dfree383
jaysstang
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NEED ADVICE ON 472 MOTOR - Page 2 Empty Re: NEED ADVICE ON 472 MOTOR

Post  DJOHAGIN August 4th 2010, 8:10 pm

jaysstang wrote:I HAVE A .60 OVER 460 BBF, FLAT TOP PISTIONS,FACTORY 1969 CRANK EAGLE RODS ,PROBE PISTION FLAT TOPS, DOVE HEADS,HAS A 622 SOLID FLAT TAPPET CAM,I BOUGHT THE CAR LIKE IT IS, IT HAS A 33/14.5/15 REAR TIRE,WITH A 4.11 GEAR AND A C6 WITH A 3500 STALL,RUNS 10.80S ,I KNOW I NEED MORE GEAR AND CONV.,BUT I WANT TO GO TO A HEAD THAT WILL MAKE POWER,THIS IS A RACE ONLY CAR,81 MUSTANG 2600LBS,I WANT TO RUN MID 9S, WHAT HEAD WILL BOLT ON WITH THIS SETUP WITH OUT CHANGING a bunch of other stuff,I WANT TO REMOVE HEADS AND BOLT ON THE OTHER SET WITH OUT LOWER MOTOR WORK,IS THERE A GOOD BOLT ON HEAD THAT MAKES BIG POWER THAT WILL USE MY ROLLER ROCKERS ECT..,I NEED ABOUT 700 HP TO DO WHAT I NEED ,I FIGURE I CAN GET 5 TENTHS OUT OF A GEAR CHANGE AND CONV., AND TUNING,ITS A SLUG OUT OF THE HOLE, IM RUNING A VICTOR INTAKE, WITH A 1050 DOM. CARB,MSD,LET ME KNOW I NEED THE HELP THIS IS MY 1ST BBF CAR,I WAS A CHEVY MAN TILL I BUILT MY 351 MAVERICK AND SEEN HOW FORDS RUN,SO NOW IM TRYING THE BBF THING...THANKS EVERYONE FOR ANY HELP

jaysstang wrote:I have a 460 BBF. It has:

1050 Dominator carb
Victor intake
MSD ignition
.060 over Probe flat-top pistons
Factory 1969 crankshaft
Eagle rods DOVE heads
A .622 lift solid lifter camshaft

I bought the car like it is. The rest of the specs are:

33/14.5/15 rear tire
4.11 gears
C6 with 3500 rpm stall converter

Currently, it runs 10.80 in the quarter. I know it needs more gear and converter, but I want to go to a head that will make more power. This is all in a '81 Mustang. I use it for racing only and it weights 2600 lbs. I would like to run mid 9s.

What head will bolt on with this set-up without having to change a bunch of other things? I would like to just remove my existing heads and bolt on another set without having to do work on the short-block. Is there a good bolt-on head that makes big power that will use my roller rockers and other components? I need about 700 hp to do what I need. I figure I can get a half a second with a gear and converter change, and some tuning. It is a slug out of the hole.

This is my first BBF car, and I can use all the help. I was a Chevy man until I built my 351 Maverick, and I saw how Fords run, so now I'm trying a BBF.

Thank you for any help.

I hope you don't mind me editing your post a little. Helps me to see and answer your questions better.

First of all, it does not take 700 hp to do 9.5s with your weight. I'm assuming the 2600 lbs is wet weight with you in it. It will take about 600 hp, if you get the rest of the combo dialed in.

Second, I would suggest you use your existing heads. Send your heads and intake to Scott Johnson, http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ Have him install larger valves, do Stage III porting on intake and exhaust ports, Victor port match, and chamber mods. Have him CC heads, and equalize them to 72 cc. Also, have him install new hardware. You can then use your existing rocker arms. You will need to to check your valvetrain geometry, and may have to order new push-rods. This being done, your heads will be able to support 700-750 hp, with the correct supporting components. Installing these heads on your existing shortblock will not produce 700-750, as you need more compression and a large roller cam.

Third, send your existing carb to Bob, http://competitioncarburetion.com/ and have him tune it for your combo.

These two changes will make a big difference, and you may need further changes to the shortblock and drivetrain/suspension to fulfill your desire to run mid 9s.

Hope that helps,

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 4th 2010, 8:37 pm

DJOHAGIN wrote:
jaysstang wrote:I HAVE A .60 OVER 460 BBF, FLAT TOP PISTIONS,FACTORY 1969 CRANK EAGLE RODS ,PROBE PISTION FLAT TOPS, DOVE HEADS,HAS A 622 SOLID FLAT TAPPET CAM,I BOUGHT THE CAR LIKE IT IS, IT HAS A 33/14.5/15 REAR TIRE,WITH A 4.11 GEAR AND A C6 WITH A 3500 STALL,RUNS 10.80S ,I KNOW I NEED MORE GEAR AND CONV.,BUT I WANT TO GO TO A HEAD THAT WILL MAKE POWER,THIS IS A RACE ONLY CAR,81 MUSTANG 2600LBS,I WANT TO RUN MID 9S, WHAT HEAD WILL BOLT ON WITH THIS SETUP WITH OUT CHANGING a bunch of other stuff,I WANT TO REMOVE HEADS AND BOLT ON THE OTHER SET WITH OUT LOWER MOTOR WORK,IS THERE A GOOD BOLT ON HEAD THAT MAKES BIG POWER THAT WILL USE MY ROLLER ROCKERS ECT..,I NEED ABOUT 700 HP TO DO WHAT I NEED ,I FIGURE I CAN GET 5 TENTHS OUT OF A GEAR CHANGE AND CONV., AND TUNING,ITS A SLUG OUT OF THE HOLE, IM RUNING A VICTOR INTAKE, WITH A 1050 DOM. CARB,MSD,LET ME KNOW I NEED THE HELP THIS IS MY 1ST BBF CAR,I WAS A CHEVY MAN TILL I BUILT MY 351 MAVERICK AND SEEN HOW FORDS RUN,SO NOW IM TRYING THE BBF THING...THANKS EVERYONE FOR ANY HELP

jaysstang wrote:I have a 460 BBF. It has:

1050 Dominator carb
Victor intake
MSD ignition
.060 over Probe flat-top pistons
Factory 1969 crankshaft
Eagle rods DOVE heads
A .622 lift solid lifter camshaft

I bought the car like it is. The rest of the specs are:

33/14.5/15 rear tire
4.11 gears
C6 with 3500 rpm stall converter

Currently, it runs 10.80 in the quarter. I know it needs more gear and converter, but I want to go to a head that will make more power. This is all in a '81 Mustang. I use it for racing only and it weights 2600 lbs. I would like to run mid 9s.

What head will bolt on with this set-up without having to change a bunch of other things? I would like to just remove my existing heads and bolt on another set without having to do work on the short-block. Is there a good bolt-on head that makes big power that will use my roller rockers and other components? I need about 700 hp to do what I need. I figure I can get a half a second with a gear and converter change, and some tuning. It is a slug out of the hole.

This is my first BBF car, and I can use all the help. I was a Chevy man until I built my 351 Maverick, and I saw how Fords run, so now I'm trying a BBF.

Thank you for any help.

I hope you don't mind me editing your post a little. Helps me to see and answer your questions better.

First of all, it does not take 700 hp to do 9.5s with your weight. I'm assuming the 2600 lbs is wet weight with you in it. It will take about 600 hp, if you get the rest of the combo dialed in.

Second, I would suggest you use your existing heads. Send your heads and intake to Scott Johnson,

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/ Have him install larger valves, do Stage III porting on intake and exhaust ports, Victor port match, and chamber mods. Have him CC heads, and equalize them to 72 cc. Also, have him install new hardware. You can then use your existing rocker arms. You will need to to check your valvetrain geometry, and may have to order new push-rods. This being done, your heads will be able to support 700-750 hp, with the correct supporting components. Installing these heads on your existing shortblock will not produce 700-750, as you need more

compression and a large roller cam.

Third, send your existing carb to Bob, http://competitioncarburetion.com/ and have him tune it for your combo.

These two changes will make a big difference, and you may need further changes to the shortblock and drivetrain/suspension to fulfill your desire to run mid 9s.

Hope that helps,

Dave

If your going to spend good money on the iron heads, may as well just get it over with and get some aluminum heads you'll be ahead of the game and loose some more weight in the process.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 4th 2010, 8:48 pm

thanks for edit,i do the best i can ,im new to computers this year,ive never typed anything prolly in 25 yrs till this year,i have made several changes i recurved the dist.,the throttle responce is amazing now,i tuned the carb the best i could ,the car ran 7.40s when i got it ,i now have it in the 6.90s,i bought s 5.00 gear for it this week,now maybe i can shift higher, it was taking all day to get to 5500 with the 4.11 gear and the slow timing it had, now it seems to rev crazy when i hit the throttle,im hoping to shift 6200 it loves rpm the higher i was shifting the better it ran, ive only had 10 passes so far, gained .5 seconds, it needs a looser conv. but like i was advised ,im waiting to see where i go with a cam and headers,but im loving the bbf ,i was always a bbc man ,and i aint saying anything bad about bbc they flat run, but i wanted to do something different was just bored,ive also raced a blown e85 injected s10 10.5 tire truck. in open comp some at milan and us41 ,on e85, last year i bought a maverick and built a 351w ,and loved that car traded for this ,so guess im crossing over to the dark side lol......and loving it
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN August 4th 2010, 8:54 pm

dfree383 wrote:If your going to spend good money on the iron heads, may as well just get it over with and get some aluminum heads you'll be ahead of the game and loose some more weight in the process.

That may be true, but it is also fun when the competition finds out they just got whupped by factory car passenger iron (aka lead-sled heads, LOL). For what Jay wants to accomplish, the iron heads are more than enough, albeit, at a price.

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 5th 2010, 12:50 am

Jay should tell more about himself -- like who he worked for and what he did.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 5th 2010, 11:06 am

jaysstang wrote:anyone got a good plug # i can run thats colder than i have this has the plug for a 71 460 bbf 4 bbl.,i need a colder plug but at autozone they cant find 1 unless i have a # or a car model to look up,i have the dove heads , 12 to 1 comp.flat top pistions

for a car to use for a ref . point use 1970 t-bird 429

where do you race at? 41?

converter sounds too tight for n/a, trans brake ?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 5th 2010, 12:45 pm

bunkerhill ,but trying to get to us41 maybe next wenes , yea this conv is a joke i cant even hold it on the starting line above 1400,lol it maybe flashes 2200 ,but i recurved the dist. hoping to help pull it a little more maybe get 3200 ,i only had 6 to 8 deg. timing before at 2200
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 5th 2010, 1:50 pm

jaysstang wrote:bunkerhill ,but trying to get to us41 maybe next wenes , yea this conv is a joke i cant even hold it on the starting line above 1400,lol it maybe flashes 2200 ,but i recurved the dist. hoping to help pull it a little more maybe get 3200 ,i only had 6 to 8 deg. timing before at 2200

DONT TAKE THIS WRONG!!! but total timing is what you need to know, base doesnt mean anything if you dont know your total
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  fordman460 August 5th 2010, 3:36 pm

Hey BOSS 429, pretty sure he knows that. He is just trying to get more torque down there for the converter.
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 5th 2010, 6:44 pm

your right fordman ,i have 36 total now, with 28 at the start and ill work with it from there, by the way has anyone seen my car before, im trying to find who built it, so i can get info, i think its from michigan
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 6th 2010, 8:30 pm

jaysstang wrote:hey you do that and ill do what i do,im not a lazy ass dont like to be called it, you say sorry to everyone who talks to you rude ill do what i do...there

If it's not from pure laziness that you have to use the caps lock then I guess you must be just plain stupid but, I wouldn't like to think that about anyone on this forum.
I only do buisness with people who try to have class so, I guess the feelings here are mutual.
I be SURE not to intrude on any of your further threads.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike August 6th 2010, 9:48 pm

Hey Jay are those 4.11 gears for a 9"?
If so are they for sale?
I plan on going to NLR "US41" next wednesday if I get the truck back together.
Let me know
mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  jaysstang August 6th 2010, 11:45 pm

yea they will be for sale
ill let you know when i get them out id like to get it done monday or tuesday, and rm thanks ,i dont really need anything from you including you smart comments....your classless..........
jaysstang
jaysstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2