BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help---starter problems---460 to Powerglide trans.

+14
504T
KY JELLY
jbozzelle
cool40
Treeyasoon
69F100
Lem Evans
quick 52
norm
BigDave65
bosshoss
bruno
richter69
psfracer
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Need help---starter problems---460 to Powerglide trans.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Need help---starter problems---460 to Powerglide trans.

Post  jbozzelle April 10th 2011, 11:19 am

It's clockable so you should be able to turn it to clear the headers.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Need help---starter problems---460 to Powerglide trans.  - Page 3 Empty Re: Need help---starter problems---460 to Powerglide trans.

Post  psfracer April 10th 2011, 11:42 am

Yes, I tried it in several different locations. Everytime 1 of the 4 tubes was in the way. Talk about being frustrated, I must have installed and removed the starter 8 or 9 times. In any case I got so frustrated that I walked away yesterday before I started throwing things. I will try again today---its clockable to so many different spots that one of them has to work.

In any case, at least the car turns over great now, and worst case scenario I will just need to get one of the header tubes modified if I can't get it to fit.
psfracer
psfracer

http://www.psfracer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 April 10th 2011, 4:36 pm

I have one of those same starters. It works good but the front of the starter is a little longer than some of the other starters that are the same style as that one. I have a CVR starter that is a tad shorter and fits my oil pan and diaper better. No header problems fortunately.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 10th 2011, 4:38 pm

I'll venture a guess the mini ford truck starter would have worked and cleared just fine..,...........prolly last longer to boot..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 April 10th 2011, 4:53 pm

richter69 wrote:I'll venture a guess the mini ford truck starter would have worked and cleared just fine..,...........prolly last longer to boot..........

x2.........and a hole lot cheaper.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce April 10th 2011, 9:54 pm

The Ford truck mini starter didn't work for me! Maybe it was because it was a NAPA made in China POS, first one was defective, as it had no support bushing in the nose of the starter - I could move the shaft a quarter inch side to side. The second one just didn't have the balls to turn the motor over, and they didn't want to give me my money back until i gave my buddy (who works for NAPA) a demonstration. I started the motor with my rebuilt Tilton, and then installed the old starter from my son's 302 (bolt and nut on the upper hole), it started my engine easily - long story short - I got my money back!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 8th 2011, 12:20 pm

Question for psfracer.

I just had the ATI case and Chevy pattern bell bolted to a 1/2" midplate with a JW wheel. The starter bolted to the midplate and the JW wheel put the ring gear in the factory spot.

I'm now going to buy a Ford pattern bell and bolt it o the engine using a 1/8" midplate. Do you think I'll have issues like you did. Or were your problems just due to the ATI adapter bushing vs starter setup? Did the starter bolt to the bell on the Ford bell?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  psfracer May 9th 2011, 4:28 pm

Yeah, my starter bolts directly to the bell, as I am not running a midplate. I got a new starter and the "throw" or how the starter engaged was different, thereby correcting the problem. I did not change the bell, the flexplate, or the hub/crank adapter. I left it just as pictured in the beginning of this thread. It starts great now.

I did notice the the ring gear on the flexplate is offset the exact amount of the hub/crank adapter. Here is how the car starts now (with no other changes other then a new starter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1L3sz2UMws

On your new setup, are you having the starter bolt directly to the bell (like mine) or is it going to bolt to the mid plate?
psfracer
psfracer

http://www.psfracer.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 9th 2011, 5:02 pm

I'll check the misplace. I think the starter bolts to the bell. If that's the case I should be good.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3