BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the Bracket Racers

+29
HorsinAround
D. Sea
valleydawg
kim
5pointslow
NOS42
70FB
Lem Evans
rmcomprandy
99zx9r
bigblok2000ranger
Larry T
maverick532
Curt
Dave C.
gmsmkr
cool40
bbf-falcon
richter69
YellowStangDuane
Barney
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
dfree383
bruno
dr's wife racing
maverick
KY JELLY
QtrWarrior
yellowhorse7
33 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

For the Bracket Racers - Page 5 Empty Re: For the Bracket Racers

Post  yellowhorse7 August 5th 2014, 3:29 pm

For the Bracket Racers - Page 5 Image12}
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane August 5th 2014, 3:48 pm

Air shocks or shackles??? Looks a little high in the rear....LOL
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg August 5th 2014, 4:11 pm

I mainly run the 4.70 heads up stuff around here but I still like to do a little bracket racing. I enjoy the heads up racing the most but a lot of my friends bracket race so I like to make some local races with them also. Funny story from this year was we ran a 4.70 race and the stands were packed out both days. The next week we ran a Top Sportsman race and we are pulling up to the line against Dan Ferguson. He is dialed in on a 4.40 and we are dialed in on a 4.65…not a sole in the stands...not one! Very Happy  Anyway bracket racing is hard stuff. Those guys are on their game and you have got to go so many rounds.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 5th 2014, 7:39 pm

Barney wrote:Big tires dont fix everything.

True. And the wrong big tires can be a nightmare.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 6th 2014, 12:55 am

yellowhorse7 wrote: For the Bracket Racers - Page 5 Image12}

Just a couple bracket racers on the binders, racing the stripe. Something 2/3 of the high powered ,bicycle tired,Non wheelie bar cars ever see. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 6th 2014, 9:12 am

Damn Rick what are you trying to say? Do the baby tire promods just quit before the stripe or will they not skid that far on the roof?  Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane August 6th 2014, 9:52 am

They ain't all this good, but if I remember right door car dialed 5.25 to a 4.17.... No throttle stops here. And as you can see, the stands are NOT packed! Been doing this for more than 30 years and still enjoy watching every race.

Figures, I can't even figure out how to make a video work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHFprcgwlM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8yHFprcgwlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr August 6th 2014, 9:26 pm

Wow.......that place is dead where is this at.
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane August 6th 2014, 10:10 pm

Texas Raceway. This was late rounds, plus there's more stands at the finish line, that's where they all hang out, and next to the tower. We had a section we called the "Nacho Section" because if you were there it was "not cho night". Well, it sounds a little more funny when you say it... Place will be packed for Pro Mods this Friday though.
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 7th 2014, 8:02 am

Just my opinion, in the grand scheme of things don't mean shit.

I couldn't care less about big tire vs. small tires personally I would consider my car a medium tire car. Kinda hard to call a 30x11" is not a small tire or a big tire Imo. Yes stock suspension.

I hate electronics or anything that limits the power of a car to assist it getting down the track or give you an advantage at the starting line.

If you can't drive the car either step up your chassis program or get a smaller engine.

jmho! Flame away
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 7th 2014, 9:21 am

maverick wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:I got what I wanted? Nope......

Was never looking for anything but to stir the pot. That's what I do.

Bottom line....I think most elder racers defend bracket racing because it's what they know. No problem. Most younger guys started with some sort of heads up stuff. Do what you like. I prolly won't class race much anymore because I can't afford to compete at a top level and I refuse to be a class filler.

Wait until I start the pipe rack thread lol

Tony, ya need to go back further in time to get to the "elder" racers where I fit in. Laughing   When I started drag racing 46 years ago (yes, 1968), heads up racing was all we had.  I'm no stranger to it, and I love it...but now I can't afford it, like most of us.  It's not something that was invented by you young guns.

That said, I recently went through a period of several years where everybody else's cars came in and out of my shop and were kept running while my stuff sat in a corner waiting to be finished.  If I could make it to a Bash, I did it without a car for that reason. Yes, I put together a few grudge cars and resurrected a couple of their wrecks, too.  But no matter what type of drag racing they did, if I had the time, they had my shop, my tools and my services free of charge.  I love drag racing that much and I get just as big a kick out of watching my work go down the track as I do from racing myself.  I don't hate grudge racing.  But I also don't believe that I need to question a man's pedigree, ridicule his choice of racecars, insult his mother and sister or imply that his sexual preference is pertinent to his on-track performance.    I know, I know...not all grudge racers are like that, certainly not the ones who bring their stuff into my garage, but those are the ones...the ones with the big mouths and no racecar of their own...who clog the staging lanes and the waterbox, making sure that everbody on the property will suffer through their noise and bullshit before another pair of cars can roll into the beams.  I actually think that the grudge concept is good for the sport...it's not all that different from the match racing days of old.  The bullshit, however, does nothing to advance the cause.

Now that my car is finished (sans paint job), it comes out of the garage OFTEN and it makes more laps in organized racing than most of the cars on this board.  That fact may only be known to very few members of this forum, since I don't start a new thread every time I win a round.  I only run a tnt pass if I have just completed a major repair on the car.  Otherwise, when the car goes to the track, it is entered in the race...Yep, it's usually a bracket race with about 50 or 60 cars in each class.  Competitive?...Yeah.  Easy to win?...No sir.     Our third qualifying round is called the "run for the money" where each racer dials his car in an attempt to win the pot (usually an extra $500 or $600 up for grabs before eliminations start).  The best total package on that 3rd pass takes the money.  In the last few weeks, I have posted two .008 packages and a .005 package.  Both of my .008's were beat by two cars each time. The .005 didn't get paid either. It lost to a .001.   Apparently, this is so easy, anybody can win.

So anyway, at our track, Saturdays are reserved for organized races.  Sundays are TNT and grudge days...which is as it should be because the two do not mix.

Sorry to stick my spoon in the pot.  I'm done.
Maverick speaks the truth. I don't know how many of you know him personally. He is a great guy. Knows cars and racing. He keeps his word. He even has one of my small tire wrecks. What's up with that big tire guy?  I hope every body on here knows me well enough to know I'm just busting you bracket racers up. I've been to,won and lost more bracket races than a lot have seen. I bracket raced from 15 yrs old to time I was 40. Nothing wrong with any of it. After 25 yrs I needed a change.  You do what you can do. Run what you can afford. If you build your stuff and put a car on the track you've done something and that is more than 90% of the population and that is to be respected. I've seen a time when I spent most of what I had to get a car to the track. Guess what that was a bracket car. I have much better stuff now and am blessed by god to be able to do what I want for the most part as far as going racing. So when did I spend more ?
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 7th 2014, 10:26 am

Hey, Ward...Haven't been up your way in a while. I guess I need to make another trip, Your old car is still in the shop...belongs to a good guy in Florida. We've collected a bunch of parts (naturally a BBF) to get his son into racing. The first version of the car will be a fairly mild piece aimed at getting the boy interested and sharpen up his track skills. We figure that when he needs to go faster, the chassis will be up to the task. As soon as I get this '66 Belvedere done and gone, the Mustang is next.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 7th 2014, 10:48 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Just my opinion, in the grand scheme of things don't mean shit.

I couldn't care less about big tire vs. small tires personally I would consider my car a medium tire car. Kinda hard to call a 30x11" is not a small tire or a big tire Imo.  Yes stock suspension.

I hate electronics or anything that limits the power of a car to assist it getting down the track or give you an advantage at the starting line.

If you can't drive the car either step up your chassis program or get a smaller engine.

jmho! Flame away

Eric, in an electronics class, a delay box doesn't give ANYONE an advantage because EVERYONE has one. That's why there are "box" and "no box" classes. It also doesn't cut the light for the driver...it simply allows us to release the transbrake on the yellow bulb of our choice. Top bulb or bottom, the driver still has to be sharp...and it WILL NOT keep you from going red...it's typically the other way around. Laughing  And somebody needs to tell the guys who line up next to me in the 4.50 dragsters, that the delay boxes are slowing them down.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 7th 2014, 11:29 am

You know, guys, while we're on the subject, there are different types of bracket racers, too.

For example, I know a bunch of guys who like to "hold a few numbers", that is, they'll dial their cars slower than they can run. That gives them a chance to play some finish line games. Personally, I don't like it and I don't do it.

Instead, I have taught myself to TUNE THE CAR and TRUST THE CAR. This old Maverick runs upper 5's on pump 93 and typically prints a stack of time slips that look like I bought 'em at Kinko's.
That means that I can drive it like I stole it, and be pretty damned close to the number on the window. The ONLY time I'll slow the car down is if my opponent isn't in the traps with me...and that almost never happens.

Even bracket racers differ on their views of bracket racing. Rolling Eyes 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 7th 2014, 1:07 pm

maverick wrote:You know, guys, while we're on the subject, there are different types of bracket racers, too.

For example, I know a bunch of guys who like to "hold a few numbers", that is, they'll dial their cars slower than they can run.  That gives them a chance to play some finish line games. Personally, I don't like it and I don't do it.

Instead, I have taught myself to TUNE THE CAR and TRUST THE CAR.  This old Maverick runs upper 5's on pump 93 and typically prints a stack of time slips that look like I bought 'em at Kinko's.
That means that I can drive it like I stole it, and be pretty damned close to the number on the window.  The ONLY time I'll slow the car down is if my opponent isn't in the traps with me...and that almost never happens.

^ This

Would LOVE to do the heads up thing but I like to have other things besides a race car. Like a pot to piss in  Razz 
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger August 7th 2014, 3:33 pm

I personally like a heads up run what you brung and hope you brought enough race.

Unfortunately usually the guy with the biggest bank wins in those classes.

Kinda makes me wonder if a heads up claimer class would work for the grass roots racer???
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse August 7th 2014, 3:39 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:I personally like a heads up run what you brung and hope you brought enough race.

Unfortunately usually the guy with the biggest bank wins in those classes.

Kinda makes me wonder if a heads up claimer class would work for the grass roots racer???

That would be more fun than watching the best electronics package Win.
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 7th 2014, 4:51 pm

Unfortunately, claimer classes usually just make the cheaters more creative.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  99zx9r August 7th 2014, 7:01 pm

maverick wrote:You know, guys, while we're on the subject, there are different types of bracket racers, too.

For example, I know a bunch of guys who like to "hold a few numbers", that is, they'll dial their cars slower than they can run.  That gives them a chance to play some finish line games. Personally, I don't like it and I don't do it.

Instead, I have taught myself to TUNE THE CAR and TRUST THE CAR.  This old Maverick runs upper 5's on pump 93 and typically prints a stack of time slips that look like I bought 'em at Kinko's.
That means that I can drive it like I stole it, and be pretty damned close to the number on the window.  The ONLY time I'll slow the car down is if my opponent isn't in the traps with me...and that almost never happens.

And to expand on that, there are those of us that hold a couple (.01-.02) to ensure we're "getting there" and those that hold a bunch to throw their opponent off.  The problem with the latter is killing that much sometimes results in a dangerous situation.
99zx9r
99zx9r

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 8th 2014, 7:42 am

I agree Kim and when I raced each week I raced all out w/o sandbagging or finish line racing. I was good on the tree,so unless the weather was changing I usually dialed very close too what the car ran the last pass. I won quite a few big races NOT playing games and doing what me and the car knew we were capable of.

Like Damon stated,The heads up racing would be fun IF one could afford it.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 8th 2014, 9:41 am

[quote="D. Sea^   This

Would LOVE to do the heads up thing but I like to have other things besides a race car.  Like a pot to piss in   Razz [/quote]

This is why I got out of Truck pulling (well $$ and on the verge of a divorce over the puller). I absolutely LOVE truck pulling and would really like to get back into it, but unfortunately, it is cost prohibitive for me until I hit the lottery. So I choose to build a bracket racer so that I could still play with some rpm's and HP, but on a more affordable budget.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 8th 2014, 10:00 am

I've won a lot of races and money over the years.Mostly bracket racing,but have ran lots of different styles of drag racing. Who gives a shit what each other runs in!! We all do our own thing.I'll guarantee you I've ran with more fans in the stands than the biggest part of you.I like to watch all forms of drag racing. Most people who don't like brackets are not in tune with what is actually going on .I love watching a big spot in a race and someone running another down,love doing it too. You heads up guys talk about making so much money on one pass...I'll bet none of you pay your way doing it??I paid my way bracket racing for years.I like to make passes when I drag my stuff to a track.! pass is not enough to fulfill my desire!! Most who don't like brackets ,just can't drive and get tired of getting their ass kicked weekend after weekend. I can understand them not liking it...I like running those guys too  Twisted Evil Everyone just needs to have fun with their hotrods,hell Rick even turned his into a showcar after he quit racing  affraid cheers king 
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  biglucky August 8th 2014, 10:18 am

Well said Dan.
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 8th 2014, 11:03 am

Dan is tough to beat. he is a gifted racer no matter what car or type of racing he does.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 8th 2014, 11:07 am

I just get lucky now and then Ward..... Very Happy king 
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR