BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFR BBF Head

+49
Mark Miller
BigBlockRanger
glenevans
cletus66
John Myrick
snuff98
jeffgfg
bigford632
FalconEh
Mike R
Mark Laczo
jbozzelle
Straubtech
BBFTorino
6t6mustang
STR-LGL-70
cool40
The Mad Porter
Mark O'Neal
jasonf
nickpohlaandp
XF-66
ED468
hbstang
maverick
BOSS 429
wayney
HorsinAround
Hardy
tbirdmike
68galaxie
Gary Blair
Scott Foxwell
carlthomasd
fastashley
jones
QtrWarrior
dfree383
Dave De
Lem Evans
68formalGT
IDT-572
Darrin Gorham
Coupe Devil
torino501
Carl
supervel45
rmcomprandy
res0rli9
53 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

AFR BBF Head - Page 6 Empty Re: AFR BBF Head

Post  dfree383 October 25th 2017, 10:44 am

Mark O'Neal wrote:Experience.

Boom!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT October 25th 2017, 2:35 pm

Did you get tired of talking about exhaust rocker arm lengths and 3" main bearings?
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell October 25th 2017, 4:53 pm

LOL...yeah, great advice. Not too many people have enough experience to "know" which cylinder head is going to make the most power or even X amount of power. Maybe one or two on this forum.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 25th 2017, 6:35 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:
LOL...yeah, great advice. Not too many people have enough experience to "know" which cylinder head is going to make the most power or even X amount of power. Maybe one or two on this forum.
that's a pretty bold statement....I'm guessing you ain't one of them. Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell October 25th 2017, 6:56 pm

cool40 wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:
Seems there's a lot of guessing around here. Rolling Eyes

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie October 25th 2017, 7:33 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:

Come on Scott. One or two members of this forum have enough experience? really? You are one of the two with experience?
Who is the only other one? I don't want to guess.

Me thinks you should be just a little more humble.
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell October 25th 2017, 8:07 pm

68galaxie wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

Come on Scott. One or two members of this forum have enough experience? really? You are one of the two with experience?

Well you're probably right...but how many guys here can actually calculate cross sectional areas and velocities throughout the runner, use bore, stroke and rpm to calculate demand in cfm, and put those numbers together to actually KNOW what a head is capable of or which will make the most power for a given combination? There's a lot more to it than just throwing a head on the flowbench and "experience". "Experiencing" what happened when you tried head A, head B and head C and remembering the results is a lot different than knowing WHY head A, head B and head C did what they did. Experience is one thing and very valuable but understanding the experience with knowledge is another thing all together. It's got nothing to do with humility. This is what I do for a living and I work really hard at it and I rely a lot on experience. I respect experience. Lot of things I haven't got a clue about that more experienced guys do, but I respect knowledge and understanding a lot more. That's why I asked Mark, when he scoffed at everyone and said he didn't get it, just choose the head that will make X amount of power, like pfft...what are you guys, stooopid? I got the answer I expected from him...a non (humble) answer.
I tried to go into some more technical depth about the heads (especially the AFR) earlier in the thread but no one seemed interested because most are guessing. Educated guesses, experienced guesses, but guessing none the less. My "one or two" was not literal, but really, probably not far off. Randy and Scotty are probably the two others I know of. Didn't mean to come off arrogant and probably should have just kept to myself.
"Give a man a fish..." you know the rest.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 25th 2017, 8:40 pm

Its easy to misinterpret things on a forum. You're probably right about very few knowing about the AFR heads,I sure don't know much about them. I was just messing with you Razz you set yourself up too good for me to pass it up! No harm intended Wink
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell October 25th 2017, 8:45 pm

cool40 wrote:Its easy to misinterpret things on a forum. You're probably right about very few knowing about the AFR heads,I sure don't know much about them. I was just messing with you Razz you set yourself up too good for me to pass it up! No harm intended Wink
LOL...yup. I did, didn't I. No worries.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie October 25th 2017, 9:23 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:
Well you're probably right...but how many guys here can actually calculate cross sectional areas and velocities throughout the runner, use bore, stroke and rpm to calculate demand in cfm, and put those numbers together to actually KNOW what a head is capable of or which will make the most power for a given combination? There's a lot more to it than just throwing a head on the flowbench and "experience". "Experiencing" what happened when you tried head A, head B and head C and remembering the results is a lot different than knowing WHY head A, head B and head C did what they did. Experience is one thing and very valuable but understanding the experience with knowledge is another thing all together. It's got nothing to do with humility. This is what I do for a living and I work really hard at it and I rely a lot on experience. I respect experience. Lot of things I haven't got a clue about that more experienced guys do, but I respect knowledge and understanding a lot more. That's why I asked Mark, when he scoffed at everyone and said he didn't get it, just choose the head that will make X amount of power, like pfft...what are you guys, stooopid? I got the answer I expected from him...a non (humble) answer.
I tried to go into some more technical depth about the heads (especially the AFR) earlier in the thread but no one seemed interested because most are guessing. Educated guesses, experienced guesses, but guessing none the less. My "one or two" was not literal, but really, probably not far off. Randy and Scotty are probably the two others I know of. Didn't mean to come off arrogant and probably should have just kept to myself.  
"Give a man a fish..."  you know the rest.

I agree wholeheartedly about raw flow bench flow being the only criterion used to estimate performance potential.
And yes even the "experts" make power estimates. The flowbench offers so much more than raw flow numbers.
Airspeed is critical - mapping airspeed in a port is used by many builders these days (as well as us lowly amateurs).

It looks like you have built more than several BBF's using the AFR cylinder head offerings. I just haven't seen these builds posted.
You are usually very prompt with posting results on forums. Perhaps you could show us a few examples of the AFR headed BBF's
you have built. I have said before I like the AFR head - the combustion chamber looks good too. But I have not had any hands on experience with any BBF AFR head.

Cheers!!

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 25th 2017, 10:00 pm

cool40 wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

THIS POST NEEDS A LIKE BUTTON
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell October 25th 2017, 10:31 pm

LOL...you guys are so much fun.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal October 27th 2017, 3:32 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:
68galaxie wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

I didn't "scoff" at anything. I stated an opinion. If you want a 575 H/P 427 Windsor, there are at least 10 heads that will support it. Pick one.

If you want a 900+ H/P Windsor there are at least two heads that will support it, pick one.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal October 27th 2017, 3:34 am

cool40 wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

Yes, you are guessing.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie October 27th 2017, 11:08 am

There are actually a few that have experience with the AFR head. Scotty J(mad porter) is one, bpmustand (on the other forum) and several others. The results look very comparable to similar P51 builds do far. Although no AFR build posted yet (to my knowledge) has been an all out 1000+ hp effort. I think there must be one or two being worked on.

Cheers

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT October 27th 2017, 11:58 am

68galaxie wrote:There are actually a few that have experience with the AFR head. Scotty J(mad porter) is one, bpmustand (on the other forum) and several others. The results look very comparable to similar P51 builds do far. Although no AFR build posted yet (to my knowledge) has been an all out 1000+ hp effort. I think there must be one or two being worked on.

Cheers

Lem and Phillip Oakley are working on one.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 29th 2017, 4:15 pm

AFR BBF Head - Page 6 Afr_210
AFR BBF Head - Page 6 Afr_110
AFR BBF Head - Page 6 Afr_410

AFR deal with custom dome.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 October 29th 2017, 4:43 pm

What compression ratio will you end up with?

Edit: Also curious to bore & stroke; noticed the pistons are gas ported Twisted Evil
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT October 29th 2017, 4:49 pm

Looking good Lem and Phillip!
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 30th 2017, 10:26 am

STR-LGL-70 wrote:What compression ratio will you end up with?

Edit: Also curious to bore & stroke; noticed the pistons are gas ported Twisted Evil

14/1ish.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  ED468 November 2nd 2017, 4:39 pm

Scott Foxwell wrote:
68galaxie wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

Sounds like what I did just messing around on my street motors head using Pipemax and few measureing devices and of coarse buddys flow bench and a J probe.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 2nd 2017, 6:35 pm

ED468 wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:
68galaxie wrote:
Scott Foxwell wrote:

Sounds like what I did just messing around on my street motors head using Pipemax and few measureing devices and of coarse buddys flow bench and a J probe.

Ain't nothing but a little research and cyphering..... hell any half smart hillbilly with a slide rule and a .05 mm pencil could figure that one out. let's not make it more than it is.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 2nd 2017, 7:42 pm

68formalGT wrote:Looking good Lem and Phillip!

I'm guessing the cam should be here next week.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT November 2nd 2017, 9:05 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

What's the spec's on the cam?

What carb and size are you going to use?
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 2nd 2017, 9:06 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

did you special order it from a well known expert?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next